Fresh herbs in garden. Anything to add?

I have basil, Thai basil, garlic, dill, mint, oregano, thyme, sage and rosemary before I get to veggies. Do you use anything else with regularity that I should add? Chives?

Chives and tarragon for me

I have wild fennel from Spain. Very delish!

What about parsley?

In addition to what you note, we rely heavily on cilantro, parsley and chives. And while not herbs, we also harvest and use arugula and watercress frequently.

Marjoram is easy to grow and fairly interchangeable with oregano. Most years I grow one or the other. Sometimes they overwinter and come back the next year.

Here is what I would add:
Chives (comes back year over year, place in your garden accordingly)
Parsley, we like flat leaf over curly
Cilantro for spring (harvest the coriander when it bolts),
Sometimes Lemon grass

I don’t know your situation but depending on how far your garden is from your kitchen you may want to create a small herb garden right out your back door. We keep the most used herbs in planters right on the back deck since the big garden is in the back of the yard and a hike for a few sprigs of this or that.

Chives and Lemon Verbena

We also have parsley, chives, lemon basil, purple basil

Chervil. It’s hard to find fresh in a grocery store, so it’s totally worth growing. Finding starts can be tough, but it’s easy to grow from seed.

2 Likes

It’s only about 30 feet, so no big deal, and we have a garden window above the kitchen sink that allows is to bring in bots of herbs during the winter. We also have a glass sliding door to the deck and I am thinking about a small winter greenhouse just outside the door, attached to the house around the glass door, with a heater. After I got industrious and managed to build an enclosure for the garden, I may go one step further and try a greenhouse.

We have mint, lemon thyme, rosemary, basil, sage, and parsley.

Lots of good suggestions-I’d second lemon thyme and purple/Thai basil for sure
If you want something out of the ordinary maybe Mexican oregano (which isn’t oregano at all) and epazote.

I bought some very healthy looking 4” potted French thyme today but am concerned that the only space I have for it is not in direct sun. How much sun does it really need?

Lovage is one we couldn’t do without. Fresh shoots in the spring have a celeryish flavour for chicken dishes.

chives parsley cilantro

Sage, marjoram, savory, sorrel.

The more the merrier, but I used to grow it in a south-facing window indoors during the winter and although it didn’t grow like the weed it acts like now when it is outside, it was okay. On the other hand, with significant son, let’s say 4 to 6 hours at least, and good watering and fertilizer, it will generate more time than you could possibly use. I am not at home but when I get back tomorrow or Thursday I will take a photo. My thyme plant is in the back of a raised garden on legs that is covered by a plastic make believe Greenhouse. It gets significant son, but not 10 hours of Sun direct sunlight every day. It looks more like a weed than a thyme plant. Sorry for any typos. I am dictating on my cell phone while taking care of my grandson and I have too little energy to proofread.

Thyme would love full day direct sun, but will survive on less. Less direct sun = less intensity of flavor

Everyone cooks a bit differently, so you’ll get as many suggestions as respondents. We used to grow much more than we do, but found by the end of our season we had not used nearly as much as we thought - sometimes barely any of some things and if we’re not using it fresh in the summer or fall, we won’t use frozen or dried at a later date.
We’ve narrowed it right down to Basil, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme & Chives. Some years sage.
Use almost all of it and rarely want to buy much else apart from Tarragon which we just can’t grow well in our herb planters, so will buy from the market if wanted.
Our Thyme is in a bright spot, but only receives direct sun 4.5-6 hours and grows pretty well.

Spearmint, peppermint, chervil (gone for the season now), chives, chinese chives, tarragon, flat leaf parsley, curly parsley, greek oregano, italian oregano, genovese basil, big leaf basil, tons of thai basil, rosemary, english thyme, french thyme, varigated thyme, lemongrass, bay, and something new to me and fabulous - par-cel (aka european cutting celery).

I don’t grow dill or cilantro as they bolt too quickly here.