ANCHOVY ANTIPASTI

Here we have the Holy Trinity, anchovy&butter&sourdough rye thin. Such delicious as a starter based on Ortiz Anchovy, high-quality butter and crisp sourdough rye thins from Finland. The crisp sourdough rye thins are available in UK and USA.

I used Berlin butter, as we have several butter shops in Berlin called „Butter Lindner“. They started in 1920s only with butter and still they have 2 blcoks of fresh butter every day, each around 10-15kg with salt or without salt. You can order 100g or 150g or 250g or more, punched with wooden tools.

So, next time you serve some little snacks or antipasti before dinner…

Ingredients

Ortiz anchovy (glass or can)

butter

sourdough rye thins

Preparation

1. Add butter on the sourdough rye thins. Finally anchovies on top.

7D554F75-EBD2-4F2E-8441-8ADC26A41A1E.jpeg
694C694E-FD7D-4706-8476-9D30B05CEC21.jpeg

P.S.

Hah! I opened a tin of anchovies for my salad the other night. The other family members don’t care for them (whole) although they always seem to love puttanesca sauce, or other dishes where I sneak leftover filets in.

I also recommend to add 1 anchovy to your tomato-pizza sauce. AND of course classic to add 1-2 anchovies to stew dishes.

Anchovies are the secret ingredients for many cooks like also soy sauce, miso, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, hot sauce etc.

Good to see you! I needed more recipes. This one is funny! I am not an anchovy fan, but the recipe presentation is excellent!

Quelle surprise, it looks like you’re the only one on this planet, Jay, who doesn’t like Anchovies. haha

I will soon make another pasta recipe by Sophia Loren, but we will see whether it is worth presenting here.

Good to see that there is still some interaction&conversation here. I have to admit that in the last days&weeks I thought to quit.

The problem that we have is that there are too many people here who think that eating food prepared by a famous chef is a major accomplishment. I think it just means that you have enough money to pay for it. I prefer to eat food I make myself. I have just built a garden enclosure on my deck to keep out the groundhogs and chipmunks. I have about 8 different herbs in about 30 different plants. I can’t wait for the tomatoes. Yesterday, I went from garden to dinner plate with a Kale/Swiss chard concoction in 20 minutes.

1 Like

Maybe you can set up a snare, and make groundup groundhog burgers?

======

I too enjoy messing around the kitchen, looking for pretexts to use all the strange kitchen gadgets that have been presented to me over the years.

For an even more diet version, radish slices with anchovies (or anchovy paste, but better as pictured).

Thank you for posting this, Martin Zwick. I prefer anchovies in a salad with arugula, pepper, and balsamic vinegar, but I will now search for rye thins. Prost! Patrick

1 Like

You will enjoy it, Patrick. Promised.

Optional you can use also a very good sourdough bread. But these rye thins are such lovely crisp and on the countryside I have no bakery.