Gnocchi with sage and butter

As far as I’m concerned this is the only way to eat sage…

Roughly from here:

2 Likes

Homemade gnocchi, too??? That’s truly the only way to eat sage - fried in butter, agreed.

yup. homemade is the only way to eat gnocchi :wink:

with red sauce, we prefer Marcella’s recipe for spinach gnocchi but the flavor is way too strong for the butter/sage.

Lofty goal for me, but one of these days I plan to try making gnocchi

Easier than you might imagine. IMHO making “regular” pasta is much harder because you’re balancing how wet the dough is, how thin, etc etc.

Agreed. They’re fun and easy to make, whereas pasta and pasta shapes IMO takes lots of practice. Last time I made gnocci I used some uni to the mix. I usually hate uni as an ingredient mixed into (especially cooked) dishes but it was sooo good.

I have a large sage bush growing (and spreading) in the garden. Most of the time, I pull leaves and sprinkle them on the bottom of my 5 gallon food scraps compost bucket to help with the smell of the composting food.
I don’t use sage when cooking.

Although recently I did use some in a Marcella Hazan recipe for chicken livers sautéed in butter, white wine, and sage. That was a tasty dish. Other than that, and creating a smudge stick to cleanse the house of negative spirits, I don’t use sage.

I have a fresh sage plant that is generating a lot of leaves. Do you mean with gnocchi, which I can’t eat, or something else, like a cooking technique?

My sage which limped along for a long time, is finally producing leaves and flowers. I use sage pretty regularly from the spice cabinet for most chicken dishes.
The leaves I love to saute in butter until crispy then they can be crumbled and added to chicken breast. They are also tasty with mushrooms, but I take the leaves out before serving. I also do the fried sage leaf as a topping for butternut squash soup. This might be something you can eat as I think the glycemic index is probably pretty low.

I’ve been wanting to make this since Julian posted and finally did tonight - delicious
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.24.03 PM.jpg

1 Like

This looks amazing. I’ve never made gnocchi. I may have to try this recipe.