Duck Breast left overs

When I cook duck breast (pan-seared magret medium rare) I often have left overs because my wife hates it. I’m wondering if anyone has good ideas for serving left over duck breast. The most imaginative I’ve been is slicing it and placing with a salad. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Get a new wife… problem solved [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I made duck tacos from leftover confit recently. Lots of different topping options.

2 Likes

pho and ramen spring to mind.
I do a pizza with goat cheese, arugula, fig glaze. Sometimes i cook with the breast sometimes it is just put on as it comes out of oven so it is warm and not overcooked.

2 Likes

duck tacos are a good idea. I often slice for a duck sandwich, slice thin for crackers, or just eat it cold from the fridge as a snack, depending on how much left.

1 Like

working on this, but at least during the transition period doesn’t solve the leftover problem

Duck fried rice is also delicious

3 Likes

On the other hand, it’s a plus to have a significant other who doesn’t like some of your favorite wines either. Entirely hypothetical, of course. [wink.gif]

How many are you cooking at a time? I find one duck breast is about perfect for me, especially if they are smaller. If you are buying in packs of two or more, might consider freezing the extra(s)?

Duck hash. Fry some potatoes & onions, garlic if you wish. Add chopped duck at the end so it doesn’t dry out too much. I finish with a tiny splash of vinegar. Serve with, or under, soft eggs.

5 Likes

Who says you have to cook an entire breast? I get those 1lb breasts from Hudson that are perfect for 2. Cut the breast in half and cook the rest later.

1 Like

I eat one breast half at a sitting and they come in packages of 2s and 4s. Occasionally I’ll see them individually at the meat counter but rarely.

Yes, chopped up, in a salad, mmmm, nice Burgundy, life is good.

2 Likes

Since tacos, fried rice are taken up I’ll throw in Boudin

1 Like

My use for leftovers are close to what Milton suggested and it was an idea I stole from a sandwich we got at a gas station just outside of Paris on our drive to Champagne believe or not. Thinly sliced cold duck breast on a baguette with fig jam, brie, lightly dressed frisée with mustard vinaigrette and sliced soft boiled eggs. Pretty damn tasty

3 Likes

Tacos are what we tend to do with all high quality meat leftovers or…

Mix it with Kibble and feed it to dogs - they love it. Paired with fresh water.

1 Like

Tacos are a great idea, key is to flash-sear your slices so as not to overcook, then serve immediately, and tacos are great for that.

Another good option is to save some of the original pan/deglaze juices, then use them in a wild mushroom cream sauce over pasta. As the pasta is nearing doneness, flash-sear the duck, mix the duck and pasta in with the sauce, serve. Also works with a nice Burgundy. If you have duck stock, you don’t even need to reserve any of the original pan juices.

1 Like

This sounds incredible. Heading to Burgundy next month, hopefully I come across this

Duck carnitas at our house or on a pizza.

1 Like

For pizza, do you throw the duck on and just roast with the pizza? Or sear quickly and throw on top after the pizza has cooked?

Seems like either might work for a thin-crust pizza, but I think for thick crust, only the latter method would have good results.