Paris - Solo Dining

I will be traveling alone to Paris for 4 nights in a few months. Recognizing the challenges of dining/drinking solo does anyone have any recommendations over and above those normally done with that consideration in mind.

To what challenges are you referring? I go to Paris solo often and, other than sometimes having to email for a table rather than booking online, have never had an issue. I’ve eaten solo everywhere up to an including La Tour d’Argent. Didn’t stop me ordering 3 bottles.

2 Likes

Done the solo dining quite a few times, in Paris and other European cities, as I tagged along with wife who was working and had related meal agenda, and will admit it can be a little lonely in a foreign city but still enjoyed restaurants I booked at as local staff are as attentive as they need to be as they did with bigger parties. I find that these situations bring out the bigger wine geek in me and when I usually go for multiple btg or half-bottles, even for the same dish/course.

Tip: A good time to line up and wait for a lunch stool at Les Enfants du Marché.

Agree with everyone that it will not be a problem, it could even be an advantage in terms of getting into to certain places. I actually find eating alone to be a unique experience. I do it often while traveling for work but also see how it can be lonely.

I HEART this.

I’ve never had issues dining solo in Paris and would also argue that it is often easier, as you can take advantage of single bar stools, tables in back, etc.

In all sincerity, I found that the single biggest blocker for me was my own self-imposed concerns about eating by myself. That lasted about a week into a 30 day European trip and then I realized that a) nobody cared b) I’m fine being the donk surfing on his cell phone at a table and c) they were probably more annoyed with me taking 800 pics of my dinner/drinks and posting it real time on IG, Facebook and WineBerserkers!

Fwiw, I’m writing this as a single diner at a Caffe Moreno in Naples, where I’ve brought my own pastry (sfogliatelli fresh out of the oven) from outside and am drinking multiple cappuccinos. I was polite and kept it in the bag :slight_smile: #nailedit
B4FF175A-2367-4E95-906A-7FBFA9A0BABC.jpeg

1 Like

I often dine folk as my wife is neither a foodie or interested in large meal at dinner. Dinner is more for social than food. After cajoling her into joining me into dinner for the first 10 years of our marriage, I stopped 30 years ago and we are both happier.

You will meet people, perhaps observe more. I enjoy my own company. I never sit at the bar unless there is no other option.

Some of my favorite meals have been alone. Cinq Sentis in Barcelona is top three meals all time for me and was alone. Fat Duck, Rules, St.John, the Dutchess, Joe Beef…

Just arrived this morning, and when my son opted for better plans, I happily seated myself at my go-to for solo dining, Les 110 de Taillevent, so named for having that many wines BTG. The bar is especially well-suited for conversation and appreciation. They did say they’re trying out a new menu starting tomorrow, but I’d give them the benefit of the doubt.

Jonathan