Ideas requested - Veg with GC Burgs

Hi Folx,

We are going to have some older GC Burgs, and I’ll do a good local bird, roasted spuds…

but, I’m looking for veg ideas. The asparagus is great right now (both white and green), but that’s out. The whole cruciferous family is iffy. Mushrooms would be great, carrots OK, but I really would love a green(ish) veg. Love creamed spinach, but it might dull the palate.

Any tips?

TIA!

Some recent things I’ve been enjoying with burgundy have been braised leeks or spring onions with mustard and lemon zest breadcrumbs, deeply roasted whole cauliflower rubbed with ras el hanout, potato pavé, fondant potatoes, charred green cabbage and radicchio wedges finished with a mix of nuoc mam/aged balsamic and basque-style sautéed ceps finished with a raw egg yolk and some minced chives. What are you opening?

1 Like

Hi Elliot,

Thanks!
I was leaning towards the Julia Child style cauliflower gratin and maybe caramelized shallots with mushrooms.

1977 Domaine Jean Grivot Clos Vougeot
1979 Domaine Michel Voarick Corton-Languettes
1993 Domaine Francois Lamarche Echezeaux

A roast bird, potatoes and cauliflower gratin sounds like a very beige meal. Elliott’s radicchio and cabbage sounds both deliciously well matched and beautiful.

I’m on a recent kick of wilted Romaine with a sauce of sauteed garlic, oyster sauce, tamari and water. Haven’t tried it yet, but to me, as long as you keep the tamari proportion in check, this screams red burg. It’s also completely delicious.

Quick zucchini sauté.
I do this one a lot and it’s super easy, good for crowds, and very tasty.

+1 for leeks. Sautéed in butter with thyme is good. So is braised in stock.

I also love broccolini, tossed in oil, salt & pepper, then roasted at 475 F. The flavor is less assertive than broccoli, and the roasting brings out a nice nutty flavor.

Sweet potatoes diced in cubes and baked with olive oil is a great paring with Burgs.

romanesco. I’ve been on a kick for this stuff.

1 Like