TNs: TWEC (TM) Visits Mineral in Toronto

Foodies,

Fellow TWEC ™ and board member Jay Shampur and I visited Mineral, a new restaurant in midtown Toronto right near our now mutual apartment building. Mineral specializes in Filipino and Asian fusion cuisine, not a combination I’ve come across very often. I was excited to try this out for the first time.

The evening started out with a complimentary amouse bouche of Cauliflower Coconut Truffle Soup. I could have drowned in this and died a happy man:

For our starters, Jay had the Pineapple + Kombu Salad. This consisted of compressed pineapple slices, kombu seaweed, black garlic, chili and puffed rice.

I had the Beet Salad topped with seared mackeral and candied walnuts tossed in anchovy, cured egg yolk and brown butter aioli dressing .

I had an intermezze of the Ensaymada, a Filipino fusion version of the pastry that originated from Mallorca of the Balearic Islands of Spain. It’s a little pork lard dumpling topped with melted cheddar and hochija tea honey served with truffle butter on the side.

For our mains, Jay had the Lingcod, which was roasted in banana leaf and served with caramelized coconut and a tomato dill salad.

I had the duck confit served with eggplant, yu choi and peanut jus.

This was a superb meal of a very unique cuisine. We look forward to visiting them again in the near future. You can check them out at https://www.mineralto.com/ and on Instagram.

Beet salad was topped with mackerel, not Tuna

Oops. Fixed above. Should be obvious by pic it was not tuna.

For a Filipino-fusion theme, other than the very “fusionized” Ensaymada, absolutely nothing speaks Filipino with the rest of the dishes. Looks good, though.