SHANGHAI SCALLION OIL NOODLES

I discovered a great website for Chinese cooking. https://thewoksoflife.com

My first recipe from this website is „Shanghai Scallion Oil Noodles“ (Cong You Ban Mean), as I had some pasta leftover (Spaghetti&Linguine&Bucantini).

Easy to make as a vegetarian version or you could add pork which would be classic or whatever you like. You can make it as a whole meal for 6 people or use this scallion oil by scoop for noodles and put the oil with scallions in the fridge. Use a container.

But be careful, it makes you addicted. haha

Finally, my version has room for improvement. Next time I will use a big sauteuese for frying instead of a wok, more surface for the scallions. And also I fry them longer and with more heat. My scallions were not crisp enough, but it tasted delicious anyway. Also I found the amount of oil used in the original recipe not enough, I added more. But first I will poste the original recipe. So you can decide for yourself.

Ingredients

1/3 cup oil
225g scallions, julienned
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp light soy sauce
4 tsp sugar
450g Chinese white noodles or Italian pasta

Preparation

1. Trim the scallions

1. Julienne carefully the white part first. Then julienne the green part, optional you can it in half and julienne then. Cook pasta.

1. Heat the oil on medium heat in a big frying pan or big sauteuse. Fry the white part first, then add the green part. Be patient, it need some time until they are crisp.

1. Here is the green part I added. It needs around 10-15min until done or crisp. Remove the scallions from the oil and set aside.

1. Now add soy sauces and sugar to the oil and cook for 2-3min on low heat.

1. Put the cooked pasta in a bowl and add the scallion-oil-soy sauce. Combine

1. Put the scallions on op. Or put a scoop of pasta in a little bowl and add 1 tbsp oil and a bit scallions

1. ENJOY

1 Like

Looks wonderful, Martin. As usual.
I stumbled on TheWoksoflife several years ago and have used it ever since. Great site.
Their recipes/techniques for Tiwanese Beef Noodle Soup and Korean Fried Chicken are two faves. Cheers.

1 Like