Spaghetti BARBE di FRATE

Barbe di Frate also called monk’s beard or agretti is a wild weed growing in sandy seashores along the Mediterranean coast, they are especially popular in Tuscany. They have a salty&lemony taste and can be blanched, steamed or even better cooked in a pasta sauce for 3min. Now is the season for around 5 weeks and they are full of the energy of spring.

IMG_9330.jpg
Also relatively new in Germany for around 3-4 years and on my to cook-liste since arriving in Berlin. It was my first time using it and this recipe found directly the way to my Holy Grail of pasta dishes. Such refreshing&light, salty and sublime, like a sea breeze. Perfect for my Venice-mood right now. haha

This recipe is fast and easy to make, don’t miss it.

Ingredients

300g Spaghetti
1-2 bunches monk’s beard/Barbe di Frate
3 anchovies
1-2 tbsp salty capers
2 cloves garlic
12 Datterini tomatoes
Olive oil
chilli flakes/peperoncino (optional)

Preparation

1. First soak the salty capers in cold water for 1-2h. Chop the garlic in slices, chop the tomatoes in chunks and discard the pinkish roots and tough bottoms from the monk’s beard. You only need the green part. Wash the monk’s beard carefully. Also cook the pasta.

\
  2. Heat a lot of olive oil in a big sauteuse, pan or wok on low heat. Add anchovies, drained capers, garlic slices and cook for 2-3min.

IMG_9332.jpg

3. Now add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3min.

IMG_9334.jpg

4. Add the monk’s beard

IMG_9335.jpg

5. Combine it cook for 2-3min

IMG_9336.jpg

6. Now add the cooked pasta and combine. Cook for additional 1-2min. You could also add a bit pasta cooking water, as usual.

IMG_9337.jpg

7. Serve, but please NO cheese. It’s full of the energy of spring.

IMG_9339.jpg

3 Likes

P.S.

my soul is still in Venice

IMG_9230.jpg

thanks for sharing! looks delicious

for those of us on the coasts of the U.S., it tastes almost identical to Salicornia, a.k.a. glasswort, from our shores. cheers

2 Likes

Looks amazing, Martin! Those simple primavera pastas are what I remember the fondest from being there in the summers as a kid. Here in the US, we tend to over-sauce and over-cheese pastas.

1 Like

I cannot get my wife and daughter to stop putting cheese on EVERY pasta dish. Drives me up a wall.

1 Like

The chef is insulted !!! Lol