Sorry, no pics as family was hungry.

Marinade

1/4 Cup Korean Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Mirin
1/4 Cup Sake
1 TBS Toasted Sesame Oil
1 TSP Granulated Garlic
1 TSP Dried Ginger Powder

Combine all ingredients in a gallon ZipLoc bag and shake like hell. Add steak, shake to coat well and then remove as much air as possible. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours.

Sauce

1 Cup Korean Soy Sauce
1 Cup Sake
1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Mirin
1 TBS Fresh Ginger, Grated
1 TBS Fresh Garlic, Finely Chopped
1 TSP Cornstarch

Combine all ingredients except cornstarch in a medium saucepan, bring to a slight boil and then reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.

Strain the solids and return the sauce to the pan. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and add to the sauce while whisking. Bring to a full boil and then reduce heat to low and reduce sauce by half.

Remove steak from marinade and dry thoroughly. Allow to come to room temp.

Lightly oil the steak and grill over high heat to desired doneness. For hanger steak on my Ranch Kettle it is about four minutes per side.

Remove steak from grill and allow to rest. Slice against the grain and top with prepared sauce.

I had some fried rice and stir fried veggies to go along.

Skirt, flank, flap or top sirloin would work with this as well.

2 Likes

FWIW - I have a similar recipe for the sauce, but one key modification. I buy a fresh ginger root and freeze it. I then peel the skin off with a knife (overkill, for sure) and then use a microslicer to grate. I’ve found that the texture of the frozen ginger is fantastic and melts into the sauce. Give it a try!

3 Likes