Recipe: Mexican Fried Rice

Had a couple people ask about this side I use for all my Mexican/Tex-Mex dishes. Got the basic recipe from an Abuela that lived across the street from us when I was growing up.

2 Cups Medium Grain Rice*
1/2 Cup Yellow Sweet Onion Finely Chopped
1/2 Cup Roasted NM Green Chile Roughly Chopped
1 1/2 Whole Roma Tomatoes Seeded
1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Corn Kernels
3 TBS Rendered Chicken Fat or Lard (EVOO can be substituted)
1 TBS Mexican Seasoning*
2 TSP Sea Salt
2 1/2-2 3/4 Cup Chicken Stock

In a large measuring cup (4 cups or larger) add the tomatoes and enough stock to get to 3 cups total volume.

In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatoes, salt and the chicken stock. The protein in the stock will cause the mixture to foam up so be sure to use a large enough container to hold to overflow.

Pour tomato mixture back into measuring cup and allow to settle.

In a large sauce pot heat the fat over low and sweat the onions until translucent.

When onions are ready, raise heat to medium high add the rice, and continually stir fry until the rice becomes fragrant like popcorn.

Add Mexican seasoning and stir for another 30 seconds.

Add green chile and corn and stir to combine.

Add tomato mixture and stir.

Allow to come to a boil and then immediately turn heat to low and cover with a tight fitting lid. Allow to cook until all water is absorbed (15-18 minutes). Let the rice rest with lid on for 10 minutes and then fluff with a spatula. Put rice in a warm oven and rest another 30 minutes.

I use Verde Valle Morelos rice exclusively for this recipe. In large metropolitan areas, it should be readily available at any Hispanic/Latin grocery store. I DO NOT wash the rice prior to preparation.

There are any number of recipes for ‘Mexican Seasoning’, so here is what I use:

Equal parts by volume of each mixed in a spice grinder

Granulated Garlic
Onion Powder
Mexican Oregano
Cumin
Chipotle Powder
Telicherry Pepper

5 Likes