Do you have a favorite tea kettle - I need to replace the POS we have.

I drink a lot of tea. Probably because I have had one cup of coffee in 52 years. I am tired of tea kettles that either have plastic fittings around the mouth that melt and lose the whistle (Mr. Coffee and T-Fal), or that are so poorly designed that you have to wear a fireman’s glove to avoid burning your hand while pouring out the water (because as you pour your hand pivots directly above the spout), or that have “triggers” that are so poorly designed that I have to adjust or repair them every few weeks, or that have a capacity enough to boil water for a kid’s toy tea set. I steep the tea in a separate carafe, so I just need something that will boil water. A whistle is essential so that I can hear it while heating water during a football game. Any ideas?

I have had this one and like it. Handle stayed cool and you do not need to lift the whistle

Currently have an All clad one that has a flaw that you need to manually flip the whistle out of the way before pouring, a pod holder is necessary.

A tea-loving acquaintance loves his electric kettle for the precise temperature control. Can’t remember the brand.

1 Like

I have Kitchen aid with thermostat and temp readout that is great but no whistle so can’t help.

think electric is the way to go

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KYSLNQ/

I have that one. I use it daily. It’s great. And I don’t need the whistle.

We like this one because of the various temperature settings since we drink oolong, white, green teas. It’s been reliable enough, going on 6+ years.

Bodum Bistro Electric Water Kettle. It is a nice design and you can set it to different temperatures. I mostly use it for a french press, but it is nice to be able to turn it down to 80C for green tea. It is double walled and has a setting to keep the water at temp.

I have an electric at home and one at the office, and agree it’s the only way to go if you drink different kinds of tea that are best at different temps. They both beep when the water reaches temp, but whether that beep is loud enough for Jay depends on his hearing and how loud he has the Jets game turned up. The advantage with an electric in that department is that if you can’t hear it from in the kitchen, you can bring it into the room where you’re watching the game - it doesn’t need a stove, just an outlet.

Check out various options for those on Amazon, there are several to choose from.

That said, if I only ever drank black tea, I’d not spend the money on an electric and just stick with a stovetop model with a whistle, but I can’t help with recommending one that avoids the issues Jay raised.

1636183F-CEB0-49F5-B5A0-853A749DE5EB.jpeg

stunning and a workhorse:

Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Gooseneck Kettle

I have a Bonavita gooseneck you can set in one degree increments. Your Stagg look great.

Zojirushi

I knew you were the impatient type.

Zojirushi- the gold standard in rice cookers and water boilers.

I think this is a piece of shit. It is a nice idea - lift the handle and the spout opens, However, I went through two of them and then I gave up. The plastic around the whistle melted so the whistle fell out. When I replaced it with a new one, the pin that held the hinge in place fell out. I put it back together when I found the hinge pin, but after it fell out three times, I got fed up and threw it out. I was going to glue the pin in place but realized that would have probably made it impossible to open it.

Not for the OP because it doesn’t have a whistle, but I love my Sori Yanagi stainless kettle. Beautiful design that heats quickly, a spout that never dribbles, and an ergonomic handle that doesn’t overheat.

I second the Zojirushi. The only compliant that I have ever had about any of our Zojirushi products is that the batteries in the rice cookers are soldered to the board - thus when it wears out after about 10 years it is a pain to replace. We just manage to live without a clock on our rice cookers. Otherwise all of our Zojirushi products have worked flawlessly for years.

1 Like

When life hands you lemons, make lemon tea [snort.gif]