Sake or Champagne for Seafood Appetizers

I’ll be doing little crudos essentially with scallop and caviar. Do you think a nicer sake would be a better pairing over champagne?

I have a few bottles of Aubrey I need to drink, but I also want to try the black bottle of Heavensake or the Divine Droplets.

Why not both? Good sake will keep well open for a few days if you don’t end up finishing it. Some people have trouble getting their heads around sake if they aren’t used to it, but it can also be a revelation.

That’s true, but I’m a very slow drinker so I’d feel guilty if the sake suffered from not being drunk fast enough.

My store did a sake tasting 2 weeks ago and we definitely improved everyone’s opinion on sake. I agree with the revelation statement. Too many people have sake bombs and low grade hot sake as their only memories of it. The one issue I found is people don’t by different styles of sake like they do in wine.

A customer might buy a few different white wines, but will only purchase 1 sake. To me the logic for them is sake (yes/no) and they lump all sake together. We’re hoping to change that.

Obviously we are too, since we import pretty f’ing serious sake, almost none of it the minty melony daiginjos most people associate with sake, even good sake. But for them it’s a Japanese novelty beverage, and they don’t know what a genius pairing tool it can be. I’m clearly preaching to the choir here…

I’ve kept sake more than a week and it’s fine. It’s also good to use in salad dressings and sauces and marinades if it does loose it’s drinking appeal.

The Narutotai ginjo nama genshu red snapper was well received. I wasn’t sure if people would go for the unpasteurized style. I knew everyone would like the junmai daiginjos and yuzu flavored ones since they are very easy to drink. Oh that’s true… I could definitely add it to a sauce. Have you ever frozen sake to use later for cooking? I may end up doing that if I don’t end up going back to the sake in a few days.

I’ve found nama is always well received, it has such vibrant energy. I’ve never frozen sake before, I just keep it in the fridge.

Yea, it’s not “too hard to understand” I feel like and the sake tends to be smooth enough. I saw a lot of faces prepare for sake like it was a shot of low grade tequila then they’d be like “oh… that was pretty good”

When in doubt, both (or all).