PANETTONE

We opened our yearly Panettone-Box this morning.

Splendido……a REAL Panettone. Such juicy, fluffy and with true candid orange peel. Not this chemical stuff.

They ship around the world. Fair to say not cheap, but worth every penny. 1kg for 40€

I love Panettone. It’s my holiday weakness. It doesn’t last long once I open it.

Also love it as bread pudding with small pieces of high-quality chocolate; the lightness of texture works well with the custard, and the citrus top note adds such wonderful complexity. I bought some 40€ higher-end Panettone a year or two ago and should continue to try others, since what we had was better than the mass-produced stuff but not as much better as I expected. I also wish someone local would make a credible version that I could try the same day it was made, still warm. Edit: Dang, 38€ becomes $75 on their US website.

If you have a Lidl grocery store nearby try their Panettone made by Favorina. Made in Italy using traditional methods. Priced very reasonably.

1 Like

I’ve never learned to appreciate it. Even when it’s not dry, it seems dry to me. Exactly the wrong balance between bread and cake. Not a problem, though - I’m quite happy to have a treat that doesn’t tempt me, even at the holidays.

4 Likes

We bought a couple in Alba Italy that blew us away.

What? It’s the moistest thing ever. In fact, I’m always amazed at how it manages to stay inviting and supple for weeks - why the hell can’t bread do that?

Sarah,

I would say that you have to buy my version. You can always correct your mistakes. :joy:

„ It’s great that Martin’s panettone doesn’t have emulsifiers in it. This is actually quite rare, in my experience, even for fancy ones.“

Ben

The stuff in US (and Italian) grocery stores is downright dreadful but a good bakery panettone can be really wonderful.

I have tried many versions honemade and in bakeries that people swear are special, the one that will change my mind! They haven’t. It’s just not something I like. I don’t feel my life is lesser without it. :wink:

Roy’s panettone is astonishingly good. Roy headed Houston’s best bakery (after stints at top restaurants) before leaving to focus myopically on panettone. His panettone is very moist and indulgent—so I don’t know how traditional it is—but it’s brilliantly tasty.

Looks promising!

“Over the last 10 years, the rise to fame of the Panettone has been relentless both in Italy and elsewhere. It has been subject to a massive premiumisation exercise that pushed prices from EUR 20ish/kg to EUR 35-45/kg. This is frankly ludicrous for something which is relatively cheap to make (though incredibly time consuming because it need to rise 3 times).

It is also subject to various rankings. Even more laughable because every batch is different. Think ranking pasta al pomodoro across Italy. The 90% rule applies: if from a reputable pasticceria, it will be good enough. Fun fact: despite being originally from Milan, the winners are generally from Veneto (Martin your Panettone is exceptionally good) and from the South (Tiri from Potenza in Basilicata is always on the podium). Finally there are now infinite variations on the them. Most of them, very welcome as the original recipe is not to everyone’s taste. It customary to consume Panettone from the 8 of December (the 7th in Milan) to the 6th of January (Epiphany).”

Filippo Nanni/from Milan&London

I’m with Sarah. Panettone is one of those things that I just don’t get. But I know there are things from my childhood/home that I love that others, including my wife, just don’t get either. Glad everyone else is enjoying their panettone though.

also not a fan, and not for lack of trying … many versions care of my Italian ex and ex-MIL

For those who enjoy Panettone, what are you drinking with it?

Coffee for sure!

1 Like

Thanks for making me spend more money hahaha

1 Like

Cappuccino for sure.

1 Like