I F'ing Love Breakfast

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

I F'ing Love Breakfast

#1 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

A hot breakfast preferably!

I go to bed every night looking forward to breakfast, and wake up every morning both ravenous and excited about my first meal. I make myself wait until 9 or 9:30 to accommodate my usual IF hours, and then it's straight to the kitchen!

Someone mentioned the other day that he doesn't like breakfast food. I understand, but why limit yourself to traditional American offerings? Breakfast doesn't have to be pastries or cereal or bacon and eggs. It can be cheese and ham. All over Asia they have hot soup for breakfast. Indian breakfasts are delicious. Dinner leftovers are amazing in the morning,

For my part, I usually make a kind of hash with whatever vegetables are leftover from the night before (cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, whatever) chopped up and rewarmed in a pan, sliced avocado, a big dollop of kimchi, and topped with a fried egg or mixed with eggs scrambled in bacon fat. It takes me 10 minutes and is so delicious, not to mention filling (I rarely eat lunch) and incredibly healthy.

I know so many people who skip breakfast altogether, and not for conscious fasting reasons, or who eat a load of processed boxed convenience food. Seems so sad to me.

Anyone else swear by the hot breakfast?
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

M Passo
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I F'ing Love Breakfast

#2 Post by M Passo »

Breakfast is a great time to eat leftovers! I make a white bean stew that I freeze leftovers and top with a fried egg. Also make "hash" with leftover vegetables and rice, either fried with egg scrambled or topped with fried egg. Leftover salsas, romesco, red sauce are brilliant with egg whites or scramble. Leftover cornbread is a veritable goldmine with red sauce and egg whites. I often saute onion or leeks with chicken stock and thyme until soft and almost dry and top with egg whites or fried egg. Added leftover mushrooms or roasted red peppers are a plus. I prefer savory for breakfast and like you, make it a substitute for 2 meals. Love adding spices, herbs and acids to wake up leftovers.
"All her friends in school were non-comformists, so she became a non-conformist too" Austin Lounge Lizards
Mike

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

M Passo wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:53 am Breakfast is a great time to eat leftovers! I make a white bean stew that I freeze leftovers and top with a fried egg. Also make "hash" with leftover vegetables and rice, either fried with egg scrambled or topped with fried egg. Leftover salsas, romesco, red sauce are brilliant with egg whites or scramble. Leftover cornbread is a veritable goldmine with red sauce and egg whites. I often saute onion or leeks with chicken stock and thyme until soft and almost dry and top with egg whites or fried egg. Added leftover mushrooms or roasted red peppers are a plus. I prefer savory for breakfast and like you, make it a substitute for 2 meals. Love adding spices, herbs and acids to wake up leftovers.
Sounds awesome! But eat your yolks - even the USDA now admits there's no link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, and egg yolks are the perfect source of choline, as well as iron, B vitamins, folate, and others. The white has nothing really expect a little protein, which the yolk does as well.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by RichardFlack »

Kippers!

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

RichardFlack wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:08 am Kippers!
Gotta have 'em in Texas, 'cause everyone's a millionaire.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6 Post by Brian Tuite »

M Passo wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:53 am Breakfast is a great time to eat leftovers!
^^ This ^^
[winner.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

Too old to give a fu¢k what you think of me.

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Steve L Gellman »

Rarely if ever do I eat breakfast. Usually one meal daily, dinner

Alex N
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alex N »

Sunday's only for me. Every other day of the week is usually a piece of fruit or a green smoothie. But most Sundays if I've got nothing going on I'll pick up the newspaper and hit various diners for a traditional American breakfast with extra crispy hash browns, or my favorite Mexican joint for homestyle huevos rancheros with rice and beans. Not really into pancakes, waffles and the sweet stuff.
@13x N1ch•!z

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Russell Faulkner »

Usually a kind of spiced, sweetened congee for me.

I boil rice for too long with brown sugar and whatever spices I fancy. Then serve with homemade jams and seed mixes, frozen berries.

I can’t do gluten or oats and this is a simple substitute. Keeps a long time in the fridge. Warm in the microwave.
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by George Hejna »

If Coffee counts then yes. Other than that it is usually a pass for me. I am just not hungry.

George

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by Robert Dentice »

The only thing better than Breakfast is Breakfast + Sake!
https://sourcematerialwine.com

ITB - source | material

G. Greenbaum

#12 Post by G. Greenbaum »

breakfast.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Gregg

Matthew Brown

#13 Post by Matthew Brown »

We used to do a holiday break 'Brinner'-breakfast foods at dinner time- with friends that have a daughter the same age as our son. Show up in our pajamas around 6pm, go nuts. Also makes it easier to work in some wine pairing you just can't justify at 9am. Now they're in college, may not be able to swing it this time. Might still have to do the home version a little scaled down for the 3 of us.
Needs a make on a white pimpmobile

Adolfo H
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by Adolfo H »

Eggs with diced tomato and onions, refried black beans, a piece of toast, black coffee, and quiet time to read The Economist. Such a beautiful way to start a day. It's a bit difficult to make it happen properly during the week, and I cherish when I can fully enjoy it on the weekends.
...ernandez

ITB; Monroy Wines among others

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Love breakfast, and I enjoy a lot of different things such as croissants, crumpets, yes kippers, smoked salmon on bagels, herring, a British style fry up including bangers, bacon and baked beans (once a year) etc
ITB

Michael S. Monie

#16 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Soup: Pho, Ramen, Hot&Sour, etc.
“To study the Buddha Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of enlightenment remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.”

― Dogen

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Ethan Abraham »

2 fried or scrambled eggs every morning. Then second breakfast of Cheerios with fruit later in the morning. On weekends add pancakes or french toast and cut out the second breakfast.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by alan weinberg »

I loathe it. A cup of coffee and I’m usually good till dinner. That’s my meal!

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by tpetty »

I don't eat breakfast most days. Although the breakfasts as laid out in the first couple posts would certainly entice me!

My favorite breakfast joint is in a town of about 500 that I go though a couple times a month. Biscuits & gravy & hashbrowns. You know the servings are generous when you can order 1/2 - and even 1/4 order!
T o d d P

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Ken Strauss »

I love a great breakfast when I am traveling.
At home I have a Greek yogurt and coffee 90% of the time.

I like something quick. I always grind fresh beans for the family coffee.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Paul @bbott

#21 Post by Paul @bbott »

Brian Tuite wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:33 am
M Passo wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:53 am Breakfast is a great time to eat leftovers!
^^ This ^^
[winner.gif]
Yes this, but with black pudding as well.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by RichardFlack »

Mark Golodetz wrote: November 9th, 2021, 1:54 pm Love breakfast, and I enjoy a lot of different things such as croissants, crumpets, yes kippers, smoked salmon on bagels, herring, a British style fry up including bangers, bacon and baked beans (once a year) etc
Don’t forget fried tomato and or mushrooms in the fry up.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#23 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

I have always loved breakfast. When I reoriented my eating, breakfast was modified, but I have come to love it just as much as I always did.

I make my own whole wheat bread, and those two pieces of toast in the AM - every day - are wonderful. Simple but delicious.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

James Cross

#24 Post by James Cross »

I eat breakfast 364 days a year. The other day I feel crappy all day. One day a week I go out. All of the above are good ideas. It helps to try new versions instead of just eggs/bacon every day. On the other hand, I could care less about lunch; it kills the middle of the day.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Fruit and yogurt is best for me.

RyanC
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#26 Post by RyanC »

I start nearly every day with Greek yogurt, nuts, honey, and black coffee or a cappuccino. And it's consistently among the most satisfying moments of my day.

But I do also love a great hot breakfast. On weekends, we often do eggs with leftover meats/veggies from the night prior. Or the occasional old fashioned donut--my ultimate guilty pleasure.
C@ughey

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

I totally understand how much harder it is to have a hot breakfast when you're going to an office regularly. Being able to make my own breakfast every day is one of the only good things the pandemic made possible. The degree to which it makes me happy is quite astounding. I sometimes go to bed earlier because that will mean I get to have breakfast "sooner" (not really, it just feels that way since I'll be asleep).

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

I was traveling for a month on vacation, hot breakfast included, I was sick of eggs after 5 days. The only other breakfast I'm truly excited about would be bagel and lox.

While I sometimes love the hot hotel breakfasts if they are very high end, I usually do it as brunch, as late as possible.

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by T. Melloni »

I love my breakfast too!
Other people call it espresso with steamed milk.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

"All I can hear
I me mine, I me mine, I me mine
Even those tears
I me mine, I me mine, I me mine
Frightened of playing it
Everyone's saying it
Flowing more freely than wine . . . ."

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by MBerto »

Some excellent breakfasts that I make (ranked very roughly in terms of preference, but only very roughly):

2 eggs over easy, well down hash browns, toast (literally perfect)
Good lox bagel with EVERYTHING
Avocado toast with poached egg
A good ass quiche or (more likely cuz I'm lazy) a frittata, or in the same vein a tortilla Espanola
Biscuits (served with butter, honey, jam, or for the real one out there, molasses)
Sausage and grits
Scrambled eggs are fine, but there's a huge range here; I prefer it in the 'walk it past the stove' style - the dry stuff I'll throw away
GOOD waffles; not that toaster junk. Pancakes are inferior in nearly every way.
That said there's a local chain that serves a "49er flapjack" - super thin, made from a sourdough batter. Easy enough to do at home. That's worthwhile.
It's been forever but if I could find a decent one locally I'd look out for a Proper English.

Lower on the list:
Getting hit by a truck, having that truck reverse back over you, then go forward over you AGAIN, then unload a pile of manure on you
Donuts

All that said my breakfast 5-6 days a week is a green smoothie. Easy quick and low mess.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#31 Post by Rodrigo B »

Surprised miso soup hasn't been mentioned yet. Always a part of a hot breakfast for me alongside some rice, grilled fish and some veggies.
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rodrigo B wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:28 pm Surprised miso soup hasn't been mentioned yet. Always a part of a hot breakfast for me alongside some rice, grilled fish and some veggies.
A favorite of mine, as well, and included in my "soup all over Asia" comment. Japanese breakfast makes me very happy.

Not related to miso soup, but another favorite I didn't mention, which I do all the time when on keto, is chicken livers quick sauteed in rendered bacon fat, with crumbled bacon and a fried egg on top. If I have time, I'll sautee shallots and make a pan sauce with a bit of stock and some sage.

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#33 Post by Al Osterheld »

I love breakfast food, but after I changed schedule to run in the morning, I generally have some nuts with coffee (and a few tortilla chips) before running, then followed by something like yogurt. Hot breakfast doesn’t work well before or after running. Sometimes on trips I have a more substantial breakfast.

-Al

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#34 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

I have been starting my day with a café au lait since last century. After that I generally I prefer a mix of cereals with fruit and yogurt or milk, but sometimes I get a hankering for chilaquiles with green sauce and eggs.
Cheers,
Paul

Mike Cohen

#35 Post by Mike Cohen »

Love breakfast. I love the ritual. The process usually includes making eggs with various add ins like veggies or turkey, drinking my coffee, and reading the NYT. It used to be a process that was exclusive to the weekend, but the pandemic has made it a more regular occurance.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

My breakfast hash this morning was particularly delicious.

My stepson didn't finish his large pork chop last night, so I took half his leftovers (3oz or so, left the rest for Jonathan) and chopped it small, then sauteed in a pan with leftover Flat Dutch cabbage which had been cooked in bacon fat with a touch of apple cider vinegar. I also had a small amount of roast cauliflower sitting around which I added in. Topped with some chopped kimchi and a quarter of an avocado as well as one fried egg and a teaspoon or so of homemade fermented jalapeno oil. Fantastic combination of flavors and textures.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Kenny H »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 11th, 2021, 11:11 am My breakfast hash this morning was particularly delicious.

My stepson didn't finish his large pork chop last night, so I took half his leftovers (3oz or so, left the rest for Jonathan) and chopped it small, then sauteed in a pan with leftover Flat Dutch cabbage which had been cooked in bacon fat with a touch of apple cider vinegar. I also had a small amount of roast cauliflower sitting around which I added in. Topped with some chopped kimchi and a quarter of an avocado as well as one fried egg and a teaspoon or so of homemade fermented jalapeno oil. Fantastic combination of flavors and textures.
Leftover pork chop with great fat, cubed and sautéed, is one of breakfast's mise en place stars.

I don't eat breakfast much with fasting, but I will do it occasionally particularly on the weekend. Your template is exactly the kind of stuff I crave. I look at it like a luxurious warm nutritious salad topped with the indulgence of runny yolks. I also have a simple template for leftovers, heat, add egg and acid.

Also I love a really spicy breakfast. That rush, along with great coffee, just satisfies every corner of my craving.
H0eve!kamp

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Kenny H wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:36 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 11th, 2021, 11:11 am My breakfast hash this morning was particularly delicious.

Leftover pork chop with great fat, cubed and sautéed, is one of breakfast's mise en place stars.

I don't eat breakfast much with fasting, but I will do it occasionally particularly on the weekend. Your template is exactly the kind of stuff I crave. I look at it like a luxurious warm nutritious salad topped with the indulgence of runny yolks. I also have a simple template for leftovers, heat, add egg and acid.

Also I love a really spicy breakfast. That rush, along with great coffee, just satisfies every corner of my craving.
Couldn't have put it better myself, the spice is a great rush. And you know there's no such thing as a lean pork chop in our house!

My daily fast runs 5:30 - 9:30, largely so I can have breakfast. 😀

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#39 Post by Anton D »

Matthew Brown wrote: November 9th, 2021, 11:55 am We used to do a holiday break 'Brinner'-breakfast foods at dinner time- with friends that have a daughter the same age as our son. Show up in our pajamas around 6pm, go nuts. Also makes it easier to work in some wine pairing you just can't justify at 9am. Now they're in college, may not be able to swing it this time. Might still have to do the home version a little scaled down for the 3 of us.
Same here, during the week leading up to Thanksgiving, as all the family gets settled we do Breakfast For Dinner!

I recently learned of a thing called a Scotch Egg, I really wanna try it!

I love breakfast because it is carte blanche!

Cold pizza left on the coffee table the night (or two) before, all the way oysters and eggs Benedict!

A new egg over easy on top of leftover Pad Thai, maybe with some Tom Kha Ghai, or leftover Indian food served over some pan fry potatoes.

Huevos Rancheros at 4 am to cap off a night of self destructive behavior, it's all great!

As Cookie Monster would say, "Nom nom nom!"

Thanks for this great thread.

Thread drift confessional: I tried my first croissant one morning this past month...it was good, but I secretly expected more.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#40 Post by Jay Miller »

Anton D wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Thread drift confessional: I tried my first croissant one morning this past month...it was good, but I secretly expected more.
Of course there are croissants and then there are croissants.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

RyanC
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#41 Post by RyanC »

Jay Miller wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Yeah. The gap between a good and bad croissant is as big of a good-bad gap as I can think of with any food.
C@ughey

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by MBerto »

RyanC wrote: November 11th, 2021, 2:18 pm
Jay Miller wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Yeah. The gap between a good and bad croissant is as big of a good-bad gap as I can think of with any food.
I don't think those things sold in 12 packs at Costco should be allowed to be labeled as croissants. Ditto anything coming from a tube of refrigerated dough.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#43 Post by Al Osterheld »

Yes, definitely needs to come from a high quality bakery.

I'm also a fan of spicy breakfast. One work trip a few years back one of the guys finished off the evening with creme de menthe (after beer or tequila or something). I told him it was wise to skip the green stuff. He was turning green the next morning drinking coffee while I had a spicy omelet and ladled on the hot sauce.

-Al

Michael S. Monie

#44 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Someone should come up with a Chipolte concept for breakfast.
“To study the Buddha Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of enlightenment remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.”

― Dogen

Michael S. Monie

#45 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Al Osterheld wrote: November 11th, 2021, 2:34 pm Yes, definitely needs to come from a high quality bakery.

I'm also a fan of spicy breakfast. One work trip a few years back one of the guys finished off the evening with creme de menthe (after beer or tequila or something). I told him it was wise to skip the green stuff. He was turning green the next morning drinking coffee while I had a spicy omelet and ladled on the hot sauce.

-Al
He should have had Benedictine.

― Dogen

Nola P a l o m a r
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#46 Post by Nola P a l o m a r »

Eggs Benedict if I’m going out. Otherwise, either a toasted baguette w a little mayo and tuna or tomato, Jamon & EVOO all with my triple expresso con leche. Those would be my favorites, often though it just the coffee…but that’s everyday.
Nola
ITB

www.gourmetsofspain.com

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Bdklein »

Mine will vary .
But I can say, when on vacation at a resort , is to get a cook to order omelette with various veggies, and lox/smoked salmon (I do it at home sometimes too). When we were on vacation last month I had it 6 straight mornings.
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Linda Baehr »

When I was working I would make a 5-6 portion frittata on Sunday, portion it out and individually wrap them. All I had to do was microwave them in the morning and viola- hot breakfast almost instantly.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by TimF »

Normally I have fruit and oatmeal. My favorite breakfast is an everything bagel, cream cheese a squeeze of lemon and smoked salmon with OJ and coffee. That’s last meal worthy.
Tim F@itsch

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#50 Post by Anton D »

Nola Palomar wrote: November 11th, 2021, 3:45 pm Eggs Benedict if I’m going out. Otherwise, either a toasted baguette w a little mayo and tuna or tomato, Jamon & EVOO all with my triple expresso con leche. Those would be my favorites, often though it just the coffee…but that’s everyday.
Your tinned fish with a toasted baguette would be a perfect way to start a day.

I gotta get with it and do that.

As a 'recovering catholic,' I am prone to 'wait for a more special occasion' to do things. So I still have some from last Berserker day. I think I will load up better and take more pleasure this next BD.

(Used your olive oil last night making saffron rice. That's some fine oil!)
Last edited by Anton D on November 18th, 2021, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”