Cooking with leftover wine.

When we have a couple of ounces of wine left over, or when we open a bottle that we do not like enough to finish, we pour the leftovers into a bottle and keep it in the refrigerator. We just add more wine as it becomes “available.” Right now, we have a lot of leftover wine, probably totaling two bottles from 10 or more other bottles. Mostly Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre, but add in some cab and zinfandel. Normally, I use it to make some kick ass stew. Do any of you have any other recipes you particularly like for leftover wine, some of which may be a bit maderized because it has been around for over a month? We usually keep whites in one bottle and reds in another, but sometimes we do not even bother with that distinction.

Deglazing of course. Only if I think the blend is relatively fresh, a wine reduction perhaps with mushroom stock.

Red wine BBQ sauce is probably my main use other than ‘stews’. I got this from the web a while back, I forget where. I was looking for something more wine friendly than most ‘firehouse’ bbq sauces.

RED WINE BARBECUE SAUCE
2 teaspoons fresh Rosemary, minced
2 shallots, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup red wine. …… I use 1 cup and reduce more
2/3 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. I use a bit more
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
1 teaspoon Tabasco
1 teaspoon liquid Hickory smoke. A few drops more.
2 teaspoons Coleman’s English dry mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon butter

In a saucepan, saute shallots in oil 4-5 minutes, or just until they begin to take on a little color. After 2 minutes, add Rosemary and garlic.
Add wine and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer until there is only half the amount of liquid remaining in pan. I reduce to 1/3
Stir in tomato puree, then add remaining ingredients (except butter). Simmer 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in butter and allow to cool to room temperature before using.
Store unused sauce tightly covered in refrigerator for up to 1 week

It’s also an easy addition to tomato sauce that you are going to let simmer and reduce for a good amount of time. Chili, sometimes, too.