Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

A few years back, before the pandemic…I found out you can order fresh white truffles from Whole Foods. I’m wondering if anyone here has a recommendation for an online place that mail orders fresh Alba white truffles?

As an add on…what are your favorite non-Nebbiolo wines to pair with white truffles? There is part of me that is most curious about white full-bodied wines.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Neal Rosenthal’s food side of his operation offers them, here.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve gotten them from Rosenthal and it’s been pretty straightforward.

1 Like

right time of year you can get them via D’Artagnan as well i think. then you can also stock up on green circle chickens to serve them with

Doesn’t this thread belong in the food forum?

1 Like

Oh my goodness for $250 per oz they had better be absolutely perfect

That’s the “down payment”, final price could be different. Depending on the market price and size of the truffles that you receive, we will collect or refund the difference.

Yes, that’s one place for it…but also asking for alternative wines to pair besides Nebbiolo made me think here might be ok too.

Urbani is a major importer of truffles and sells them directly: https://www.urbani.com/

Sabatino, also: https://www.sabatinotruffles.com/

In NYC, Agata & Valentina and Citarella used to carry them.

This place also offers them. (Never heard of them before Googling.) https://trufflin-nyc.com

2 Likes

I like Roussanne & Carricante with truffles if it’s not Burgundy. Always Champagne in there, however.

3 Likes

As for the white wine food pairing - Ronchi di Cialla’s CiallaBianco with plus 10 years is a terrific paring with truffles. Don’t drink it too cold.

1 Like

John,

Thank you for taking the time to share, I was looking for places that people have already dealt with and had good experiences. Not just places that are selling them. I’ll add this to the OP in the hopes of increased clarity. Of these places you shared, where did you have the best buying experience?

1 Like

$290 for an ounce at Urbani.

I’ve had no complaints.

It’s been 15 years since I sprung for one in NY. I had mixed experiences with Citarella. I’m not sure how quickly they sold there. But it’s always a little bit of a crapshoot with truffles. Some just aren’t that fragrant.

Years ago, a friend inquired at Agata & Valentina when their air shipments arrived and swooped in the next day. As I recall, we had good luck with those.

I believe that Urbani supplies many other places, or did. Their retail operation is new in the last 10 years or so, I believe.

But my info may be out of date.

I’ve bought from trufflesusa.com. Ships overnight direct from Italy. They also always have free shipping and 10% off coupons. (TRUFFLE14)

1 Like

Anyone know how the season is looking? Quality? Bounty? Here’s hoping the quality is great and they are plentiful (to drive down prices, as happens fairly regularly.).

And within minutes of posting the above note, Urbani sent this…might be a tough year?:

Although the season started late, due to adverse weather conditions that delayed hunting… we are very happy to say that

WHITE TRUFFLE IS NOW AVAILABLE!

SHOP NOW
*Limited quantities available

I’m assuming you were pleased with what you got?

1 Like

Has anyone tried the Oregon white truffle (Tuber oregonense)? Does it compare?