Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4001
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#1 Post by Kirk.Grant »

A few years back, before the pandemic…I found out you can order fresh white truffles from Whole Foods. I’m wondering if anyone here has a recommendation for an online place that mail orders fresh Alba white truffles?


As an add on...what are your favorite non-Nebbiolo wines to pair with white truffles? There is part of me that is most curious about white full-bodied wines.

Thanks!
Last edited by Kirk.Grant on October 16th, 2021, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Collin Dahl
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 108
Joined: March 16th, 2016, 7:10 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#2 Post by Collin Dahl »

Neal Rosenthal's food side of his operation offers them, here.
itb | retail

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#3 Post by Greg K »

Collin Dahl wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:47 pm Neal Rosenthal's food side of his operation offers them, here.
Yes, I’ve gotten them from Rosenthal and it’s been pretty straightforward.
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3200
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#4 Post by Mattstolz »

right time of year you can get them via D'Artagnan as well i think. then you can also stock up on green circle chickens to serve them with

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4519
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am
Has thanked: 196 times
Been thanked: 579 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#5 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Doesn't this thread belong in the food forum?
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Yao C
Posts: 1438
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 10:53 pm
Location: Portland / San Francisco
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#6 Post by Yao C »

Greg K wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Collin Dahl wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:47 pm Neal Rosenthal's food side of his operation offers them, here.
Yes, I’ve gotten them from Rosenthal and it’s been pretty straightforward.
Oh my goodness for $250 per oz they had better be absolutely perfect
C . h . 0 . o . n . 6

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10831
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#7 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Yao C wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Greg K wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Collin Dahl wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:47 pm Neal Rosenthal's food side of his operation offers them, here.
Yes, I’ve gotten them from Rosenthal and it’s been pretty straightforward.
Oh my goodness for $250 per oz they had better be absolutely perfect
That’s the “down payment”, final price could be different. Depending on the market price and size of the truffles that you receive, we will collect or refund the difference.

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4001
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#8 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: October 16th, 2021, 1:51 pm Doesn't this thread belong in the food forum?
Yes, that's one place for it...but also asking for alternative wines to pair besides Nebbiolo made me think here might be ok too.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19665
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#9 Post by John Morris »

Urbani is a major importer of truffles and sells them directly: https://www.urbani.com/

Sabatino, also: https://www.sabatinotruffles.com/

In NYC, Agata & Valentina and Citarella used to carry them.

This place also offers them. (Never heard of them before Googling.) https://trufflin-nyc.com
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

User avatar
M. Meer
Posts: 935
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Location: CA
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#10 Post by M. Meer »

I like Roussanne & Carricante with truffles if it's not Burgundy. Always Champagne in there, however.
"I'm bound to wreck your body and say turn tha party out"
Mar.kus

Mikael OB
Posts: 236
Joined: November 26th, 2017, 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#11 Post by Mikael OB »

As for the white wine food pairing - Ronchi di Cialla’s CiallaBianco with plus 10 years is a terrific paring with truffles. Don’t drink it too cold.
B e k e l e

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4001
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#12 Post by Kirk.Grant »

John Morris wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:16 pm Urbani is a major importer of truffles and sells them directly: https://www.urbani.com/

Sabatino, also: https://www.sabatinotruffles.com/

In NYC, Agata & Valentina and Citarella used to carry them.

This place also offers them. (Never heard of them before Googling.) https://trufflin-nyc.com
John,

Thank you for taking the time to share, I was looking for places that people have already dealt with and had good experiences. Not just places that are selling them. I'll add this to the OP in the hopes of increased clarity. Of these places you shared, where did you have the best buying experience?
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10831
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#13 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Kirk.Grant wrote: October 17th, 2021, 6:47 am
John Morris wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:16 pm Urbani is a major importer of truffles and sells them directly: https://www.urbani.com/

Sabatino, also: https://www.sabatinotruffles.com/

In NYC, Agata & Valentina and Citarella used to carry them.

This place also offers them. (Never heard of them before Googling.) https://trufflin-nyc.com
John,

Thank you for taking the time to share, I was looking for places that people have already dealt with and had good experiences. Not just places that are selling them. I'll add this to the OP in the hopes of increased clarity. Of these places you shared, where did you have the best buying experience?
$290 for an ounce at Urbani.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US?

#14 Post by Greg K »

Yao C wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Greg K wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Collin Dahl wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:47 pm Neal Rosenthal's food side of his operation offers them, here.
Yes, I’ve gotten them from Rosenthal and it’s been pretty straightforward.
Oh my goodness for $250 per oz they had better be absolutely perfect
I’ve had no complaints.
Greg Kahn

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19665
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#15 Post by John Morris »

Kirk.Grant wrote: October 17th, 2021, 6:47 am
John Morris wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:16 pm Urbani is a major importer of truffles and sells them directly: https://www.urbani.com/

Sabatino, also: https://www.sabatinotruffles.com/

In NYC, Agata & Valentina and Citarella used to carry them.

This place also offers them. (Never heard of them before Googling.) https://trufflin-nyc.com
John,

Thank you for taking the time to share, I was looking for places that people have already dealt with and had good experiences. Not just places that are selling them. I'll add this to the OP in the hopes of increased clarity. Of these places you shared, where did you have the best buying experience?
It's been 15 years since I sprung for one in NY. I had mixed experiences with Citarella. I'm not sure how quickly they sold there. But it's always a little bit of a crapshoot with truffles. Some just aren't that fragrant.

Years ago, a friend inquired at Agata & Valentina when their air shipments arrived and swooped in the next day. As I recall, we had good luck with those.

I believe that Urbani supplies many other places, or did. Their retail operation is new in the last 10 years or so, I believe.

But my info may be out of date.
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

User avatar
Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 2236
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#16 Post by Andrew K. »

I've bought from trufflesusa.com. Ships overnight direct from Italy. They also always have free shipping and 10% off coupons. (TRUFFLE14)
к𝓁ย𝐠

R Davis
Posts: 27
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 10:01 am
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#17 Post by R Davis »

Anyone know how the season is looking? Quality? Bounty? Here's hoping the quality is great and they are plentiful (to drive down prices, as happens fairly regularly.).
bob

R Davis
Posts: 27
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 10:01 am
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#18 Post by R Davis »

And within minutes of posting the above note, Urbani sent this....might be a tough year?:

Although the season started late, due to adverse weather conditions that delayed hunting... we are very happy to say that

WHITE TRUFFLE IS NOW AVAILABLE!

SHOP NOW
*Limited quantities available
bob

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4001
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#19 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Andrew K. wrote: October 18th, 2021, 3:11 pm I've bought from trufflesusa.com. Ships overnight direct from Italy. They also always have free shipping and 10% off coupons. (TRUFFLE14)
I'm assuming you were pleased with what you got?
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4669
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#20 Post by Josh Grossman »

Has anyone tried the Oregon white truffle (Tuber oregonense)? Does it compare?
https://truffledogcompany.com/product/f ... ense-1-oz/

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4669
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#21 Post by Josh Grossman »

Never bought them, but this is the best price I've found:
https://trufflecart.com/fresh-white-tru ... um-a-grade

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1710
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Best place to buy Fresh Alba truffles in the US & white wines to pair w/ white truffles

#22 Post by Lee Short »

Josh Grossman wrote: October 18th, 2021, 6:01 pm Has anyone tried the Oregon white truffle (Tuber oregonense)? Does it compare?
https://truffledogcompany.com/product/f ... ense-1-oz/
I have had them. Nothing like the real thing, but better than nothing, I guess. I don’t make a point of seeking them out in the market.

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”