Make this!!! Teddie's Apple Cake- NYT

Now that it’s cooling off outside, I’m back to baking. This recipe first appeared in the NYT in 1973. I just discovered it, and it’s a keeper. It’s delicious! I forgot to put the vanilla in, and it still has so much flavor. I cut the sugar in recipe by a 1/2 cup but coated the pan with sugar instead of flour, which added a nice texture and light caramelization to the outside. I also soaked the raisins in rum for 1/2 hr and used combo of Honey Crisp and Granny Smith.
IMG_4007.jpeg
Teddie’s Apple Cake Recipe - NYT Cooking

By Amanda Hesser
1 hour 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS
Butter for greasing pan
3 cups flour, plus more for dusting pan
1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced tart apples, like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
PREPARATION
Step 1
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch tube pan. Beat the oil and sugar together in a mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment) while assembling the remaining ingredients. After about 5 minutes, add the eggs and beat until the mixture is creamy.
Step 2
Sift together 3 cups of flour, the salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir into the batter. Add the vanilla, apples, walnuts and raisins and stir until combined.
Step 3
Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan before turning out. Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream, if desired.

1 Like

Looks amazing!

1 Like

I will try this … but delete the raisins

You can leave them out, and I’m sure it will still be really good. Or maybe substitute cranberries or chopped dried apricots? I’ve been eating tiny slivers of the cake all day. It’s addictive.

Just made this, sans raisins.
The batter was quite thick so hope I didn’t over cream it.

Thanks Abbie
A62EE983-570E-4F72-A557-F81909F8C01F.jpeg

1 Like

Hope you enjoy it! Yes, The batter is very thick. It definitely needs the full 1 hr 15 mins to bake.

Was excellent. Next time will try some chopped dried apricots for the raisins. The apple needs a second player in the mix to add a broader flavor profile.

1 Like