NYT Plum Torte

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
T. Williams

NYT Plum Torte

#1 Post by T. Williams »

Once a year I make the iconic NYT Plum Torte when I see plums in season at the local markets. This year, I'm a bit late in the season but last weekend I found a quart of rather shabby looking plums at a local farm while stopping by the pick up the last fresh corn for the year. After a week in the fridge these were some ghastly looking fruits that looked closer to the compost bin than ready for the oven. Luckily for me, when dropping plums into a torte batter you don't need them to look very pretty since they will cook into a pocket of delicious tart fruit bombs. After picking over the fruit and finding the best of the worst I was able to salvage 10 solid pieces of fruit.

I decided to not mess around with any variations on the recipe and kept things simple, though I did add the optional spritz of lemon and cinnamon. The only other adaptation was reducing the cooking time from 1 hour down to 45 minutes because I set my oven to the convection setting and even then it was in for 2 or 3 minutes too long.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/378 ... lsrc=aw.ds
torte.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

https://www.instagram.com/twilliams_dad.chef.engineer/

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: NYT Plum Torte

#2 Post by scamhi »

I make it every year as well. I used a 10" springform pan

S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by alan weinberg »

can’t see recipe w/o subscription

Mel Hill

#4 Post by Mel Hill »

I’ve made this recipe maybe 20 times and have never made it with plums! But any fruit will make a nice torte. I usually make 1.5 recipe in my large spring form. My other changes include about 1/6 whole wheat flour and 1/6 ground toasted almonds. The leftover ground almonds are used to coat the side of the springform pan. Love it with a combo or peach and blueberries. Makes a great breakfast treat the next day.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”