Best Ice Cream You Can Buy in a Store

The Caugheys love ice cream. All four of us. Central Market – just about a quarter mile from us – has about 1,000 brands of ice cream/gelato/yogurt/custard/etc. What’s your favorite pint?

My new favorite may be Van Leeuwen’s honeycomb. I always enjoyed the NY location and there is now one in Houston. The store-bought version is every bit as good as what’s offered at the storefront.

I also really dig Jenni’s ice creams these days, even if they’re not quite what they were when it was just in Columbus. Gooey butter cake is about as decadent as it gets, and I love it.

Although I do enjoy the occasional ‘decadent’ ice cream from the grocery store (e.g. Ben & Jerry), I find them almost too much to enjoy frequently. My usual go to for satisfying my ice cream urges is actually a low fat frozen yogurt - Elan. Coffee and chocolate are my favorite flavors. Not sure if Elan is available countrywide.

I don’t eat ice cream all that frequently, so I haven’t tried too many. When I was younger, Haagen Daz was killing it, and I think it is still pretty damn good. I was surprised a few months ago finding Graeter’s in my local Seattle QFC and bought a couple pints. I had only had it once about 10-15 years ago when I ordered 6 pints directly from Graeter’s in Cincinnati and had it shipped.

Graeters Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip is our current favorite.

Most “name” brands have been cost reduced to death, not worth the calories.

Tom

Graeter’s “chip” flavors, especially Black Raspberry, Coconut, and Mint.

Van Leeuwen’s rules, and their honeycomb is genius. They have a lot of great flavors, but I can rarely get past that one.

Thought you were joking. Seems you may not be joking. I’m both scared and oddly intrigued…

It appears to be real. I would not go near it. Randy B may have tried it.

Nancy’s Fancy is very nice.

Thank goodness the local Sundaes is closed. Typically buy local and scooped into a waffle cone. Sundaes in Indianapolis when we indulge at home.

Thanks, now I’m acutely aware that my ice cream stomach is empty.

I like Graeter’s too. I know Bob Graeter (founder). Nice guy, good ice cream!

‘Nancy’ as in Pelosi ?
1C8BFE1A-E863-4C76-A6FA-AA63CBCB6DD5.jpg

And a wine board guy from way back, who’s even been seen in these parts now and again. [berserker.gif]

1 Like

Awesome!

No

A local shop would occasionally get in Graeters but never the Black Raspberry Chip which is what I would really want to buy. I also remember Bob from the old WLDG and WT days.

I like Van Leeuwen but I don’t love it. I’ll have to try the honeycomb.

My local cheese shop carries Arethusa (of Tapping Reeve fame) ice cream which is my favorite locally available option.

A widely available old favorite is Turkey Hill Columbian Coffee. Maybe not great ice cream but surprisingly very, very, good ice cream. Especially when it’s just home from the store and slightly melted. A favorite for milk shakes.

As noted in another thread Talenti was my go to for a while but they’ve gone way downhill.

Another vote for Graeter’s. I think I first ran across Bob on Compuserve’s wine board and was thrilled when their ice cream showed up in local supermarkets, as it more than lived up to the praise I’d heard.

Well now I need to buy some Graeters.

Graeter’s Double Chocolate Chip and Madagascar Vanilla are our house pours.