Best Ice Cream You Can Buy in a Store

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Best Ice Cream You Can Buy in a Store

#51 Post by Jay Miller »

Tom DeBiase wrote: October 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm About 6 months ago I bought a pint of their vanilla (Talenti). It was disgusting. Having worked with Unilever I knew exactly what they did. Called the "product line" and said somebody is cost reducing the formula and failed. Gave me the party line about the best ingredients. I said talk with the Unilever labs and then give me their honest answer.
I have to give the fellow credit, he said the price of prime natural vanilla went up 12 fold and they had to do something or sell it at cost.

Conclusion, pass on Talenti, especially the vanilla unless you like burnt, smoky marshmallows.

Tom
And before Unilever when they used Tahitian vanilla it was probably the best vanilla ice cream on the market.

Now I agree. Disgusting is the mot juste.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Best Ice Cream You Can Buy in a Store

#52 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Jay Miller wrote: October 16th, 2021, 6:12 am
Tom DeBiase wrote: October 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm About 6 months ago I bought a pint of their vanilla (Talenti). It was disgusting. Having worked with Unilever I knew exactly what they did. Called the "product line" and said somebody is cost reducing the formula and failed. Gave me the party line about the best ingredients. I said talk with the Unilever labs and then give me their honest answer.
I have to give the fellow credit, he said the price of prime natural vanilla went up 12 fold and they had to do something or sell it at cost.

Conclusion, pass on Talenti, especially the vanilla unless you like burnt, smoky marshmallows.

Tom
And before Unilever when they used Tahitian vanilla it was probably the best vanilla ice cream on the market.

Now I agree. Disgusting is the mot juste.
It was outstanding vanilla. Most people don't realize that ice cream is one of the few products that does not exude aroma. Tahitian vanilla is so very floral that it actually gives aroma as well as flavor making it unique in the world of ice cream. Talenti vanilla ingredient statement says it all, beside the vanilla extract (Madagascar, not Tahitian) there is also "Natural Flavor". Obviously a failed attempt to build back the qualities of Tahitian Vanilla.

Tom

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”