Epicurious to stop posting beef recipes, citing climate change

Epicurious to stop posting beef recipes, citing climate change
By Megan Cerullo
April 28, 2021 / 11:04 AM / MoneyWatch

Food website Epicurious will no longer publish beef recipes, citing the impact of raising and consuming cattle on climate change.

Cutting out beef from one’s diet is “a worthwhile first step” in cooking more sustainably, wrote Maggie Hoffman, senior editor at Epicurious and David Tamarkin, former digital director of Epicurious in a blog post Monday…

The interesting thing here is they announced they actually cut out beef recipes a year ago. They are just now making a formal announcement.

Wow! I’m an Epicurious fan, I’ve got 7 of their recipes bookmarked 2 of which are beef based. They make me look like a better chef than I am. One of my go-to short rib recipes is theirs.

Are they going to stop posting new beef recipes? Or take the current ones off their site?

I went to the Epicurious site and found the answer:

What exactly is Epicurious doing?

We’re refraining from publishing new recipes that contain beef. We aren’t running feature articles about beef either. And because we won’t have new content about beef to share, beef will not be featured in our newsletters and social media feeds moving forward.

Is Epicurious removing all beef recipes from the site?

No. All our previously published beef content is still available and there are no plans to remove it. You may also see beef pop up in our recipe galleries, most of which are archival pieces of content that get lightly updated every year.”

I applaud the decision!

I was sad to learn recently that lamb is even worse in terms of emissions. I wonder if they’ll slowly phase that out too.

Awesome.

They are happy to talk foie gras…Pea Soup with Foie Gras Recipe | Epicurious

Also, tuna…Seared Tuna with Green Beans, Lemon and Wasabi Recipe | Epicurious

Oh, and Sea Bass…Pan-Fried Sea Bass with Miso, Lemon, and Thyme-Glazed Roasted Vegetables Recipe | Epicurious

So, they can virtue signal all they want.

5 Likes

Oh is that true? Do you have a good article to link (I am generally interested, as we love lamb but also want to eat sustainably).

What do any of those things have to do with climate change?

Just saying Epicurious is fine with “cruel” food like foie gras, and they are down with endangered foods like tuna and sea bass.

They post plenty of pork recipes, too…way cruel.

Plenty of people are ethically concerned about eating sentient life like octopus, but Epicurious don’t care.

Selective virtue signalling seems a little cynical, to me.

On the plus side, they don’t tell us how to prepare shark fin.

Oh, OK. I got it. You have nothing except the magic words “virtue signalling”, which is like your trump card to use against anything you don’t particularly like. Cynically calling out others for their alleged cynicism seems pretty ironic to me.

1 Like

Checking to see if the original date of story is Apr 1

Udder stupidity!

Sigh…it was only matter of time before the misinformation campaign really took hold. Suffice it to say, there has been a concerted effort to mischaracterize the greenhouse gases emitted by livestock production and cattle in particular funded by the following just to name a few:

1. vegan Norwegian billionaire (through her husband Petter) and Physician Gunhild Stordahlen and her Eat Forum, a global initiative in large part funded another entity in turn funded by petroag fertilizer companies and the Kellogg Institute (both of these entities love grains which are getting hammered for their carbs)
  2. the Beyond Beef and Impossible Foods
  3. the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (which has investments in these meat replacement companies)

In short, there are a lot of $$$'s on the line not mention a lot of Vegan Agenda in the case of Brunhild. Then there are the billions in ad dollars that are now floating around with the meatless category that Epicurious seeks to attract…the US Beef Council aint advertising.

The simple fact is cattle contribute about 2.5% of US emissions in the form of methane (which breaks down in 10 years, unlike CO2, and is in large part offset by the grasslands they manage across the us and and the carbon capture that happens on those lands as cattle stand in as proxy for buffalo but lets set this multi-billion-year-old “closed loop” system aside)…as completely unrealistic as this is, if everyone stopped eating beef full tilt we would only reduce our emissions by 2.5%. The fact is energy production, transport, and industry account for about 80% of greenhouses gases and reducing meat consumption by 10% wouldn’t even show up in emission reductions…its a statistical rounding error basically. The fact of the matter is we have to get off fossil fuels, plain and simple. Check out this video and you’ll see its all bullshit pardon the pun.

You might conclude from from my avatar that I am biased, which is inescapable quite frankly, but I take my belief in first principles, logic, and reason seriously. I have studied this industry and this issue comprehensively and will do my best to present to you the facts as I know them.

If you are further interested, just take a gander at the twitter feeds of either Dr. Frank Mitloehner @ghgguru and Dr Sara Place @drsplace for debunking of the propaganda surrounding cattle emissions. I also HIGHLY recommend @REGENETARIANISM for a deep dive into the science of soils and his thorough take downs of the Vegan Agenda.

Don’t buy the hype guys…this is just a $$$ grab by Epicurious

Plenty of things I don’t particularly like. Merely curious about where they pretend to be ‘woke’ and where they don’t.

It could be worse, imagine if they started playing the “cultural appropriation” card with different cuisines! [cheers.gif]

Uh, oh, you’re going to trigger Chris.

Give it a rest, Anton. You’ve shown your ass enough in this thread for one day.

1 Like

I still show a few beef recipes in my saved recipes- but not sure if there used to be more. The ones I really like I scrape into a piece of software I control anyway- either a onenote based organizer or raw email folder, so hopefully didn’t lose anything important in the “purge”

If the doctor can’t get me to change my eating habits, epicurious sure can’t. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We don’t need no stinkin’ recipes

2 Likes

[rofl.gif]

1 Like

If you don’t slaughter the cattle they don’t fart? I would think it works the other way but I’m just a toolman, what do I know?

1 Like

Maybe because nobody noticed? How inessential do they feel now?

1 Like