GROM - best ice cream in town

After looking for this Italian brand for 1-2 years I had the chance to find it in Berlin at a supermarket in Bahnhof Zoo. By far the best ice cream you can buy in Germany and as good as in any gelateria in Italy.

460882E3-753B-45B8-AA06-620D351E5BEA.jpeg

P.S.

a few minutes ago a german friend who lives in London also told me that Pistachio from Grom is „sensational“.

There was a GROM storefront in Manhattan.not sure if it closed. Tried it a couple of times. It was fine ice cream but nothing too memorable. Another mini chain based out of Brooklyn called Ample Hills makes more interesting offerings.

Fair to say I am surprised or maybe the quality is inferiour in the USA?! A true food and cooking expert from London wrote this a few hours ago.

“I bought some of the pistachio version from Waitrose a few months ago, the only ice cream I have bought in a decade. It was indeed excellent.”

Thom Blach

Hi Martin,

We fell in love with this while in Bergamo. Excellent indeed!

1 Like

Hi Henry,

I am relieved! So, I am not a Geisterfahrer.

[highfive.gif]

Stay save,
Martin

1 Like

I concur on Grom. The US branch at least is nothing special. I differ on Ample Hills which I find far to rich to be enjoyable. The SQN of ice cream.

Indeed it looks like that there are regional differences.

„ Grom still miles ahead of any ice cream brand in the UK.“

Filippo Nanni

When Nancy Pelosi and Dolly Parton agree, you know it’s good:

If I hadn’t had ice cream for 10 years I think Dairy Queen would taste excellent [snort.gif]

Jeni definitely makes good ice cream.

I live in Texas. It is Blue Bell most of the time with an occasional Tillamook thrown into the mix.

is no one else going to comment on this??

Ice cream in almost any form is my “achilles heel” of healthy eating. Moderation is the challenge and the problem. Recently I tried Talenti Gelato for the first time after grabbing a few pints in different flavors on a 3/$10 special at my local supermarket. Yummy to us and I will be going back to stock up. Cheers.

P.S. Starting an ice cream “cellar”

I had DQ two years ago after a 30 year pause. Tasted like watery somewhat vanilla slurry.

Well I disagree on us Grom being nothing special. Been to the one on Bleeker (closed right before the pandemic) as well as the one off Columbus circle maybe 20 times between the two. As well as the one off Piazza Navona in Rome, the one in Venice maybe 3 times each or more.Very comparable to Italy.

The pistachio is tops. The licorice is wonderful and unique. The dark chocolate sorbet, stratciatella, all fabulous. It’s a destination stop each time I visit NYC (along with Joe’s on Bleeker, made for a perfect after theater meal)

And I don’t go alone, my gelato buddies agree.

The only comparable place in NYC is Laborio Il Gelato, which I might rate a hair higher, but I’ll have to compare side by side to be sure.

For some reason we can get McConnell’s ice cream from Santa Barbara in our local Colorado grocery store. Not cheap, but some of the best I’ve had.

Yes, very good. But it’s ice cream, not gelato.

But, but, but the title of the thread says… [snort.gif]

1 Like