Pan-grilled Scallops with Corn and a Pouillly-Fuisse

Tonight’s dinner was six each U/10 dry-pack scallops, pan-grilled in Tahitian Lime-infused olive oil and seasoned with garlic and Key Lime Pepper. After turning the scallops (4 min), I sprinkled SI Fines Herbes on top, after 3 more minutes - I plated the scallops in the warming oven, while I deglazed the pan with dry vermouth with more Fines Herbes. The reduced pan glaze was poured over the scallops. The veggie was frozen organic corn, mostly thawed, boiled for five minutes, drained, and finished with butter, coarse sea salt, and black pepper.

This was enjoyed with a 2005 Manuelle Pouilly-Fuisse ‘Vielles Vignes’ - initially light yellow in color, darkening in time to a medium gold; light nose and flavors of minerally white fruits; mid-palate of reasonable acidity, light white fruit, and stones; and a medium long pear, white currant, and stones finish. It was good, but a little light for the scallops.

The for dessert we had a very ripe Bosc pear with Banfi Grappa di Brunello. The grappa was still pretty hot (for me), but enjoyable with the ripe pear.

Dick, you and your bride often have grappa…bottle wise, how many do y’all go through in a year. As always, just curious.

Somewhere between ten and twenty I’d guess. We don’t really keep track.