Deep-fryer - Tefal Oleoclean Pro

Last week I bought my first deep-fryer for the countryside. I am big a fan of deep-frying, from Tempura in Japan, Arancini in Sicily, Falafel in Kairo or simple Fish&Chips etc etc.
My credo, everything taste better with deep-frying. haha

Its my first deep-fryer, as I found them too ugly in the past and also the technique was not very convincing. Now I found a fine one regarding design, but more importantly the technique behind convinced me. With the TEFAL Oleoclean Pro you could filter the oil very easily and re-use. You could also store the filtered oil in a box separately. Also the deep-fryer is hot very fast and you have a timer which helps a lot.

Today I filtered the oil after I used the machine 2 times. Bottom-line, maybe the best deep-fryer on the market for homecooking. Here are some photos:

457537F2-DB3E-43E7-B776-5974D54AB754.jpeg
Tefal Oleoclean Pro

EB760CBD-331D-4610-A1A5-534DABD46C99.jpeg
in action

A1400710-8C72-468C-9CFE-69C201AC2477.jpeg
oil filtered

4880D0A4-F04A-4527-9010-D16707AECA30.jpeg
oil in the box

B5630542-CAE1-451E-86F3-14188B74A337.jpeg
cleaned

8F940CA9-10CC-4AE1-8DAE-9649C1C3EB63.jpeg
oil back in the deep-fryer

1 Like

Have never considered buying a machine as we donā€™t fry too much and I get satisfactory results in a big pot with a thermometer or my IR thermometer. I get several uses out of oil as I put through a mesh sieve once cooled and freeze the used oil for further uses. Fewer uses depending on what the food is (ie: fish or sweet dough), but if for fries or something neutral I can get a number before it gets old. So, that all said - I would be interested in something that ā€œfiltersā€ oil better than my Chinois strainer.

Itā€™s a very good looking machine. I am old school, and use a Presto ā€˜multi cookerā€™ because it can be washed in the dishwasher (their deep fryers cannot). New oil every time used to bother me a bit but a gallon of good peanut oil is 12 bucks and I figure that a quarter of that is simply the cost of a few batches of fried okra or cha gio, with no residual flavors between different foods on different days.

Impressive machine. Given the internal heating element, it looks as though it has an actual cold-zone below the element. Iā€™ve assumed that most home machines donā€™t do this as it requires more oil but the trade off in the longer life of the oil definitely seems worth it.

Like the other respondents we donā€™t have a specialized deep fryer but I am finally happy with our set up. We use a cast iron Dutch oven (so the inevitable ring at the fill line simply adds to the seasoning - far easier than cleaning it off our other pots) on an induction hob with a temperature probe. Our older restaurant-grade induction hob would overheat when I tried to use it for deep frying but the newer consumer-grade unit works perfectly. I simply set it to the desired temperature (or a little over when I first drop the food in and it cools off) and the temperature probe feedback loop ensures that I donā€™t overheat the oil on the way back up. Iā€™ve also found a fry basket that fits our Dutch oven perfectly. This set up has made frying quicker, easier, and with better results. I only wish that I had put this together years ago.

I am told that the component cooling on most modern induction hobs is far better than on the older ones so I assume that most any modern unit would work fine. My original unit is more than 10 years old.

Here is a deep-fryer competition by Americaā€˜s Testkitchen incl. TEFAL.

I had a deep fryer for years. Went thru several models because they just seem to wear down with moderate use. Quit replacing about five years ago. Primarily for health reasons. But I do miss making batches of fried chicken and fresh cut fries.

Iā€™ve thought about buying one of the outdoor models.

Might have to look at this seriously.

Have you looked into an air fryer ? Not the same but darn good .

1 Like

Iā€™ve had this fryer for going on 10 years, well actually 2 of them. The first one was a T-Fal ā€˜Emerillā€™ model and a year or so ago it stopped working and I had to replace it but it lasted a good 9 years or so. The filter works really great.

1 Like

Here is the one I have. Interesting that they spell it T-Fal here and Tefal over there.

Itā€˜s more or less the same. In Europe we also have a timer and the box is blue.

Yeah, my first one had a timer (very convenient) but the new one doesnā€™t and yes both my boxes were clear.

I make fries in the air fryer for my grandson from bags of frozen fries I buy at Costco and he thinks they are fine. Fried chicken, on the other hand, is not even close.

I have but never felt the reviews were good enough where it made sense to buy one. I use the convection feature on our oven to mimic the air fryer if wanted. Actually made amazing chicken wings this way.

1 Like

ā€ž The filtering system is superb and the parts are also incredibly easy to clean, many of the parts go in the dishwasher as well. Highly recommended!ā€œ

Oskar Brattstrƶm

I completely forgot until the offer email hit yesterday (first of the season), my favorite reason to own a deep fryer in April: fresh soft shell crabs! Pictures obligatory next time.

SPRING is here! And also deep-frying in the garden. I started the season on Easter with a Petit Tender/Terres Major and french fries made in my Tefal Oleoclean Pro. Delicious

Today I found a new test of deep-fryer chez Serious eats. The winner is All-Clad and their deepfryer is very similar to my European version, but fair to say more robust by the materials used and therefore also more expensive. Have a look!