Matzo Lasagna

I make this every year for Passover, and everyone loves it. It’s really yummy!
It makes for great leftovers, as well.
The recipe is from NYT- Melissa Clark.
(I leave out the anchovies)

IMG_6041.jpeg
INGREDIENTS
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 anchovies, finely chopped (optional)
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more as needed
1 rosemary sprig
2 ¾ cups/24 ounces whole-milk ricotta, preferably fresh
1 large egg
¼ cup basil leaves, chopped, plus more for serving
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 (10-ounce) box matzo, preferably egg or salted matzo
1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced, then torn into bite-size pieces
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan

PREPARATION
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large pot over medium, heat oil, and stir in garlic, anchovies (if using), pepper and red-pepper flakes. Cook until garlic starts to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Use your hands to squeeze and crush the whole tomatoes as you add them to the pot, along with any liquid in the cans (or use kitchen shears to cut the tomatoes in the can). Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and rosemary sprig, bring to a gentle simmer, and simmer at medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, egg, basil, pepper, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and nutmeg.
To assemble the lasagna, spread generous 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9-by-13 baking dish. Place matzo crackers in an even layer on top, breaking crackers to fit as necessary.
Spread half the ricotta mixture over the matzo layer, spreading all the way to the edges. Top with generous 3/4 cup tomato sauce, then scatter with 1/3 of the mozzarella.
Repeat matzo, ricotta, tomato sauce, and mozzarella layers.
Top with a final layer of matzo, then spread remaining tomato sauce (about 2 cups) on top, making sure all of the matzo is covered. Top with remaining mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve topped with more basil, a drizzle of olive oil and more red-pepper flakes, if you like.

2 Likes

Wow – that sounds amazing. And a good use of Matzo!

1 Like

I make a similar and simpler version. But I thought I was the only one!!!

No, you are not alone! We make a similar version of this but will try Abbie’s this week. Chag Sameach.

I just use matzoh, sauce, and cheese. But now I’m inspired to kick it up a notch.

You could simplify the recipe and use jarred tomato sauce. If you make your own sauce, I would simmer it longer than the 20 minutes recommended in the recipe to incorporate the flavors a bit more.

You can add sausage for more flavor!

1 Like

Lasagna matzo sounds much better.

The annual matzo lasagna and King Arthur’s flourless chocolate cake for dessert (doubled the recipe for 2 tiers w/raspberry filling)
Chag Sameach!
IMG_6265.jpg
IMG_6235.jpeg

Pork ???

That’s called a joke, friend.

In our family meat-free lasagna goes mushrooms and fennel seeds. The meaty texture of the shrooms combined with the fennel give it a sausage like experience.

When sausage was mentioned I wondered if someone made Kosher lamb sausage, no idea if possible. My favorite pizza at my favorite craft pizza place here has homemade spicy lamb meatballs (used to be venison) that would work great for this.

That looks pretty awesome.

1 Like

I’ve been doing this off and on for at least 10 years. Did it again a few nights ago, this time using vegetarian Italian sausage. It worked very very well, actually.
I tend to to a ricotta and spinach cheese layer(s) and put all the rest in the sauce.

1 Like

So was mine. But you can make it with some fish I guess. Or fake crab .