Help! I have a buying problem, and it does not involve wine.

I was trying to find a jar of Tahini in my food pantry, which is buried somewhere even though I just reorganize last Saturday. I have eight different kinds of rice (white long grain, white short grain sweet sticky rice, Arborio, Imperial black, bamboo infused green, Himalayan red, American red, and wild Rice, which is not even really rice). I have ten different kinds of vinegar (fresh, aged and very aged balsamic, apple cider, rice wine, plain white, Gegenbauer, chocolate, lemon and home made cherry infused). I have four kinds of pre-ground Indian Masala (garam masala, fish masala, vindaloo and sweet cinnamon ginger clove) plus two separate Masala raw spice blends to grind myself. Four kinds of dried peppers (Guajillo, Ancho, Chiles de Arbol and something I do not even remember what it is). Two ground cinnamons (one real, one canela) plus a bag of cinnamon sticks. And on and on. I even have two kinds of garlic powder. The one from the store and the one Rebecca made while testing the drying function on the air fryer (the home made is MUCH more fragrant). Two kinds of coriander seeds plus two kinds of dried cilantro, and that ignores the fresh cilantro I bought on Saturday. AND that is just for starters. I refuse to even list the different oils that I have, and it will get worse when Nola delivers the olive oil I ordered on Berserkerday.

Anyone else suffering from a similar problem?

1 Like

My name is Mike and I love to eat, drink and hoard!

You’re missing white balsamic and Sherry vinegars.

Suffering? No. Problem? No way! I’ve got you beat in every one of those categories, and don’t even get me started on the varieties of shoyu, dried fish/seaweed and miso.

Just two comments, though - 1) get rid of the dried cilantro, unless your goal is just green flecks in your food and 2) nice job on the Gegenbauer!

A MAN OF OBVIOUS EXQUISITE TASTE !! flirtysmile [drinkers.gif]

Looking at your list, you are missing 4 or 5 different salts

I got on a salt kick for a while (volcanic, red clay, hawaiian, 1m year old, etc) until I realized I couldn’t tell the difference after adding it to cooked food.
You’re missing coconut vinegar!

This’ll help-

17 types of honey, only 6 rices, once had 37 teas. Not sure I see the problem.

White Balsamic is for wimps. The Gegenbauer is Sherry vinegar, but I have very little left.

We had some extra cilantro that we were not going to use so the dried Cilantro is home made. Tastes OK.

I did not list my entire pantry. I have 6 salts. Morton’s iodized salt so other people can find salt in the pantry, Kosher salt, Fleur de Sel with lavender, that red stuff from the Himalayas, the reddish brown stuff with clay that Rebecca likes and that big lumpy stuff with dried garlic chunks and dried peppers that comes in the grinder.

Two kinds of mustard seeds and 6 different jars of prepared mustard.
Walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, pecans, filberts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, three different kinds of nut blends, almond flour and coconut flower.

I have still not scratched the surface, so you get my drift.

However, due to family aversion to same, no miso and not a lot of seaweed. Those little plastic containers with small sheets that my grandson and I like.

Our pantry pales compared to yours. So, how can we help? [wink.gif] cheesehead newhere

Guilty as charged then, I guess. :slight_smile: But I find it better in tarragon vinaigrette, say, for summer salads.

Gegenbauer - I missed that, Google led mainly me to some polynomials I wasn’t aware of and then digging deeper, a Vienna vinegar company. Didn’t occur to me they’d make sherry vinegar so I didn’t look at their products.

But yes, I share your problem though I think in a much milder form, other than oils and vinegars of which I seem to have quite a lot. And its maybe a little surprising what does get used, eg Blood Orange olive oil - mainly for roasting fennel. One of quite a number of oils and vinegars, which is what happens when two people buy them.
Sezchuan pepper gets used a lot too.

We went to a bigger pantry when we redid the kitchen a couple of years ago (small house version of this saga) … and its now just as full as the old one was. Where’s a TARDIS when you need one?

I am impressed at the eclectic nature of your collection.

Sounds like Jay needs to create a CupboardTracker account.

I hear TurmEric LeVinegar just created that site…

2 Likes

champagne.gif

I thought the same

FIFY

I have fresh TurmEric, organic fresh TurmEric, dried ground TurmEric, and curry powder that is about 50% TurmEric. I also have a lot of TurmEric in the fish masala and a bit in the vindaloo.

Haha! Thanks

I forgot - bleached white flour, unbleached white flour, whole wheat, organic whole wheat, rye flour, farmers manual ground white flour, garam chickpea flour, oat flour, high gluten additive, corn meal flour, Cassava flour and probably a few others.