Lobster Rice Soup Recipe

This last weekend I cooked what is one of my favorite recipes for family parties, Lobster Rice Soup. Cozy recipe for winter time. Make sure you have a place for a siesta after…

For 4 People – 30 Minutes

Ingredients:

360gr / 13oz of short grain rice (90gr/person)
2 medium size lobsters
2 garlic gloves
1 tomato
1 red pepper
Fish stock (four times the volume of the rice)
Salt and pepper.

Preparation.

As in every recipes for rice soup, having a good broth or stock is the key to making the rice good. It would not make sense to spend the money on a good lobster and then use tetrabrik broth or water with a concentrated flavor tablet. That is why I made a good fish broth -I made it with shrimps shells and fish bones- as a base. After an hour of boiling, I used a mixer to extract all the flavors from the shrimps heads.

To make the sofrito -which is the second key to this and to all soupy rice dishes-, I chopped the tomato, peppers and garlic well and poach them for ten minutes over medium heat. Meanwhile, I cut in half the lobster head and put it with the sauce for few minutes.

We add the rice, mixing well with the sauce and giving it some time to become pearly and then add the broth, -which will be four times the volume of the rice that we are going to use-. Test the salt. The broth has to be salty as the rice will take all the flavor from the broth. Let it cook for about 11 minutes (if bomba rice, 15 if other rice), first 5-7 minutes over high heat and then lower heat.

At that moment, after 7 first minutes, we add the lobster claws to which we will have given a few strokes with the mortar so will be then easier to eat, and the cut in big chunks the lobster tail, letting everything cook for 2-3 more minutes. Then, we cover the casserole and let it rest for 4 or 5 minutes and serve by lightly sprinkling with finely chopped parsley.

A very good wine pairing would be a Txakoli. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

That looks beautiful! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Amazing!

George

would be good w crab also, I bet. Thanks.