WB Opinion: Bulletproof Toaster Oven

My current toaster oven is (was) a Hamilton Beach model that I picked out of a catalogue for my 5 year anniversary at work. At the time we didn’t have a toaster oven and it seemed like the right choice rather than a wall clock or desk lamp.

Unfortunately, after almost a decade of service it has finally given up the ghost.

So my question for the masses: What is the Wine Berserkers toaster oven of choice? I don’t need any fancy oven capability, we aren’t roasting chickens in this thing. We primarily toast things and heat up pizza and whatnot. I do want a reliability and a well made unit.

Right now it looks like the front runners are:
Cuisinart TOB-1010
Breville Compact Smart Oven

TW

We’ve been in a rental house the last year or so with a built in oven that can’t come close to keeping a set temperature-so I bought a Breville countertop oven-not sure the model but it bakes, broils, air frys, etc. It’s been nothing short of amazing. Heats up quickly and accurately-we use it almost every day. We love this thing.

We also have a Breville which is the best toaster oven we’ve owned. Toasts evenly and easy to clean.

Breville-It takes 3-4 minutes to toast most things but it is a great device. We have had ours for 7 years.

We’ve had our Breville for many years with lots of use. No issues at all. Shop the price though.

my perfect kitchen would have multiple breville toaster ovens.

The only basic thing I kind of wish we had in what truly is a dream kitchen we designed ourselves is a toaster oven. Jonathan won’t permit any appliances on the countertop, zero discussion allowed.

For whatever it’s worth to you… the top 5 toaster ovens as rated by Consumer Reports are all Brevilles.

We just got a new Breville model TOA 850 and love it, but it’s also an air fryer and cost almost $300. We first bought a less expensive Cuisinart and the toast function was very uneven. Returned it.

I have been using the anova precision oven for toasting which it is fantastic at, obviously overkill though.

We have the Breville Smart Oven Pro and it’s the best toaster oven we’ve ever had.

No coffee maker or grinder?

-Al

Good question. There is a separate coffee station across the island with the espresso machine, Mazzer Mini grinder, and coffee maker. That’s also where the seltzer tap is located. It’s not counter space that could be used for anything else.

Aha!, separate turf. Good strategy to find a place for the essentials.

I do have a Breville Smart Oven, on a kitchen cart. I don’t use it that often, though.

-Al

I can attest that folks who complain about the start button wearing out prematurely on Breville toaster ovens are not making this up. Otherwise love ours. Besides, if you poke at it enough times on the right side, it will still start up.

When I saw the OP, I wondered how many posts it would take to get to someone mentioning the Anova (this, or the steam oven). It took nine. I actually had Mr. Foley pegged as the first to do so, but you win!

So you know, I am totally messing with you. neener

We have a small, inexpensive Black & Decker 1150 W that is great. Heads up really quickly and gets hot as hell.

We bought the Breville mini Smart Oven a few months ago. Very happy with it.

We have a 5-year-old Breville toaster oven (it’s the smaller one) that is going strong. I use it for roasting vegetables, small cuts of meat (e.g., pork tenderloin), and of course… toast. If it were to die, I would replace it with another Breville.

I have had Cuisinart TOB toaster ovens for last 10+years. On my second currently. Only issue has been wear to the buttons in that the identifying print wears off over time. We use it mostly for making toast and heating up leftovers, occasionally to roast veggies. Used daily without issue.

I can’t believe the overwhelming response for Breville. It looks like that is going to be the way we end up going. The one thing that amazes me is how big the Breville Smart Oven is compared to the unit we have right now. We have the counter real estate, but man this this is going to be huge.

Tim,

That’s why we went with the mini. We were replacing what I would call a standard toaster oven. The mini is bigger that the one we replaced, but the Smart Oven is huge. I have the counter space, but it would look awkward. That said, friends who are some of the best home chefs I’ve seen love their Smart Oven and make full use of it.

To be clear…if it wouldn’t have looked funny on the counter I would have gone with the big one.