Flannery PORK ribcap roast: cooking tips/recommendations?

I grabbed one of these a while back after going ga-ga for the beef version. Who has cooked one and what are your tips? Without hearing from you all, I was planning on doing a reverse-sear method. My main questions are: 1.) would my typical process of 24-hours salted in the fridge make sense here, or will I make a ham, and 2.) what would be target temps (pulling from oven, and final target after the sear)? I like some pink in my pork but, like the beef ribcap roast, I would imagine going past where I’d normally pull a steak or chop because of all that amazing marbling.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

i think all your intuitions are correct. i’d dry on a rack in the fridge for a day, but no salt. pull at 137F then hard sear to end up around low 140sF would be perfect.

I tried something like this, came out too dry. I cooked at 375 until IT hit 135 and then seared 1 min on all 4 sides in the skillet with some butter and garlic for the final 2 min. I overcooked.

Going to do again, sear first and then cook to 135 IT at 375 2nd to avoid the overcook.

that’s because you didn’t reverse sear it. do in the oven at 225F until 135F then sear.

1 Like

carry over at 375 is too high, so when you pulled at 135 it was still cooking.

1 Like

Yeah I’d have the oven temp at 200-250.

1 Like

Probably late to the party, but I’d grill it. I picked up a couple over the summer and they were spectacular, dual-zoned. Don’t be afraid of a little pink, either. You’re in for a treat!

1 Like

I tried treating it like the regular beef rib cap and failed miserably. Doesn’t take seasoning or grilling very well. Looking forward to hearing success stories.

2 Likes

I’ve been told by someone who has cooked quite a few of these that you first sear and then in the oven at 350-375 until an IT of 132, pull it and let it rest for 10-15 min. I mistakenly reverse seared it last time, allowing the IT to carry well beyond 140.
If you sear it and then cook, you can get precise finishing temps.
If you reverse sear it your finishing temp won’t be as precise.

Ironically, you have this completely reversed.

Reverse sear is much more precise. Just do it at low temp and pull 10-15 degrees below where you want the final temperature.

1 Like

Kanji Reverse-Seared Steak Recipe
Anova on searing, not that many agree with sous vide’s impact on texture: Comprehensive Searing Guide: How to Get the Perfect Finish Indoor-Style – Anova Culinary

What seasoning did everyone use?

I use 1:1 salt, pepper, chili powder, granulated garlic and .5 max oregano (same thing I use for tri-tip). Would probably go well with a shot of bourbon-barrel aged smoked paprika in there, too.

1 Like

Excellent

Thanks to you all, this was a success and a cut that I will DEFINITELY buy again. I didn’t pre-salt, but dried it out in the fridge on a rack. I pulled it out to warm it up for about an hour, then into a 225 oven. I pulled it at 135 and then went to cast iron to sear. I didn’t take a temp after the sear, but it turned out great. It looks more pink in these pics than it really was. It was absolutely delicious with only S&P, but I think I’ll do a rub next time. However, I’m curious how you avoid burning your spices when searing. Anyway, here was the product:

Looks like it turned out great!

1 Like

I’d be tempted to do that sous vide.

I think the cook would be more even!

That’s me

Cheers looks good thou

low and slow in the smoker til 135. no sear necessary. Stuffed it with sage

Probably. But no sous vide stick here. Was very tasty nonetheless.

1 Like