Help - I need Islamic holiday food help

We are putting together a series of remote cooking demonstrations of holiday food by volunteer amateur chefs for Business Lawyers in NY who are going stir crazy from COVID. We will do Matzoh Balls and Sephardic Charoset for Passover and Easter Egg decorating and maybe how to roast a goose for Easter. I need help with what is an appropriate food to either break the daily fast during Ramadan or for a big family meal (if there is one), on the day before Ramadan starts.

Apparently, sweets are big for Hindu holidays, so we have those covered.

… on a wine board.

Good poin

Jay,
When do you need? I have a good friend (restauranteur) who observes Ramadan. He also observes Christmas and Mardi Gras. His restaurant is of course BYOB because his Mom and Dad won’t let him serve alcohol. However he and I share a few samples from my bottles unless some folks are in the restaurant who wouldn’t approve. Then i brown bag them for him to drink when the restaurant closes.
I probably won’t be in his place for a week or two, but can message him on Facebook.

Try Murtabak, which is a pretty common thing in Southeast Asia where I grew up

I have a month or so, so there is no rush. I can make a really good Tagine, but when it comes to authentic and religiously correct, I am playing without a full deck. I have a bank officer client whose first name is Akbar who I will call, but I would appreciate any help I can get.

As to “On a wine board” . . . where else can you find people using Yiddish terms like schmutz to describe the need to clean a BGE before smoking a pork shoulder. AND then there’s the Hindu family from Salt Lake City who we used to see at annual national chess tournaments. The mother told me that everyone in the community thought they were alcoholics because of the amount of spirits that they bought for their Mormon friends who did not want to be seen buying alcohol.

People come here for all sorts of advice, wine-related or not, good or bad.

Live and let live.

I would suggest it is entirely regional rather than generalised by religion.

In the gulf generally the fast is broken with some dates and Iftar is the same as most ‘feasting’ occasions with a large variety of food, but a Mandi of slow cooked lamb (or chicken, or biryani) on rice being very common.

Though these days even KFC offer an Iftar deal.