Israeli Farm "cultivates lab-grown ribeye steak using 3d printing"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-09/israeli-farm-cultivates-lab-grown-ribeye-steak-using-3d-printing

if these are behind paywall, you can google Aleph Farms.

This is just bizarre to me, kinda 1984esque. The world is starting to get a little too crazy for me these days.

Is it kosher? Can they build bacon and other “pork” products that are kosher? Enquiring minds want to know

The pictures in the two articles look NASTY.

“Soylent Green is people!”

People are people so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully?

Boom, boom, boom.

Next Berserker Day offer.

I know it is weird, but I do think there is an opportunity for lab cultured meat to become a thing as the technology gets perfected. There is so much waste and pollution created in the entire supply chain and this will have a huge cost advantage versus traditional animal husbandry or capture when it reaches scale. Huge consumer issues to overcome, but I wouldn’t bet against it.

Here is my take on this:
Since according to the article the cells are taken from an actual ribeye and since the ribeye is from the front half of the cow, it would be Kosher. So still no Kosher filets.
As to the pork question, I’m voting no since the feedstock is porcine cells.

Now here is the bigger question could it be Vegan? You could harvest the actual cells from a living animal without harm and minimal discomfort. So no animal was killed or injured. Since they are the same thing as an Amoeba or a plant cell at that point and are grown in a medium just like a hydroponic plant, it would have no sentience, shouldn’t it qualify as a vegetable?

Could be useful if you were one of the first people sent to Mars. Set up the lab and start growing the first extraterrestrial ribeye!

Honestly, I think this is a great idea and if/once the quality is there would embrace its use happily.

Clean meat is a huge market. Not just beef but they can actually replicate salmon and other species.

George