Port infused whipped cream ?

Has anyone ever used port in a ‘crème chantilly’? Good idea or not?
I’d assume a little less sugar than in regular version.
This would go with a chocolate tart.
Second question is … if also serving a port with the tart would the port infused whipped cream be de trop ?
Oh third question, if indeed this is ‘a thing’ does have its own name?

I have added a bit of chambord or grand marnier to a whipped cream. Port sounds off for this

Don’t do it - it’s the wrong texture and weight entirely. Use a liqueur.

Thanks for the comments. Tread carefully , if at all seems to be the message.

@Sarah - Wrong texture? The port has been decanted. [rofl.gif]
I see what you mean about weight I think. I was planning on using just a little and hence a pretty subtle flavour.
Is the question the flavour / liquid / cream ratios? I had wondered about first reducing the port.
Sounds like if I do it at all I should do a test batch.
Grand marnier is the usual for this of course but it’s brining in a different flavour profile. Maybe kirsch?

I’ve only ever done vanilla, rosewater, orange water and mint extract.

I’d say if you have some port on hand give it a try and see what happens. It can’t be any worse than the mint whipped cream I mention above. That one was pretty bad, all the others are delicious.

I think Taylor port with its high sulfur content could work.

With the caveat of I’ve never actually tried port, it is less concentrated than a liqueur, which is almost like a flavor that happens to come in liquid form. Port is a drink that has flavor. It is at least partly about liquid ratio. Reducing would help, probably, so long as you don’t get too syrupy. In my head, though, if you want dark berry fruit profile, use Chambord.

Of course, I’m sure you could get to something that tastes good. But think about this - you’re going to all the work of making Chantilly cream, which means you are firing on all cylinders with a cold bowl, whipping madly to get lightness and lift. You want to add as little liquid to that as possible.

1 Like

I took the safe route last night and used Kirsch.
And you have shamed me, I was using a syphon. I do the manual thing sometimes well.

What was interesting was the ports. Cockburn 94 was too light and high toned for the tart but matched the blackberries with the cream very well. And a Graham 94 did the trick with the tart. (We were using some left overs from a 94 port tasting )

I will make a batch of cream using port and report back.

I would probably do the Port as a syrup, then add. This will get the liquid consistency correct as well as concentrate what you are trying to get with the Port. Berry and chocolate flavors. Or make it easy on yourself, and do the chantilly, then add a drop of the concentrated port to color the chantilly, followed by a drizzle of the port reduction.

You people are wimps. For our tailgate, we mixed Scorned Woman hot sauce and heavy cream in a whip-it cannister and made spicy pink whipped cream to top pulled pork sandwiches. So long as you keep the heavy cream percentage reasonably high, you can use almost any heavily flavored liquid.