Somebody Feed Phil

I watched an episode of this show about a year ago. I barely made it through as I thought Phil was saccharine. As I haven’t been able to travel much this last year and my wanderlust has increased I have sought out more travel shows. So I found myself watching the Mississippi Delta episode. I really enjoyed it. Now my Saturday morning ritual involves watching an episode with my morning coffee. Is Phil overly sweet, childish and sentimental? Sure. But I’ve really grown to appreciate his joy for life and how he interacts with others while traveling. He’s like the yang to Anthony Bourdain’s yin. I’m curious what others think of this show.

Pretty much feel like you. It is worth the watch and Phil seems to be genuinely into food. And he is a bit goofy.

Hard to work through the nebbish, but otherwise I enjoy the show

Felt the same way at first, but my wife made me keep watching and I ended up liking it. We have watched them all now.

He’s a big goofy guy who is having fun. The segments with his Dad are a hoot. You can really see where the characters from the TV show came from. I thought the MS episode was particularly well done. But then anything with Julia Reed in it will be a hoot and worth a watch.

I love Phil! He is a sweetheart!

Seems like a great guy, loved the SF episode, especially with Thomas Keller.

We watched London and Hawaii in the past two days. Both episodes made us want to travel back to those locations, so I guess that says something. It is refreshing to watch a wholesome family man on a show about food, but I will admit that I like the various David Chang shows more.

I enjoyed the Israeli episode. But for some reason never went back for more. Now Chef’s Table on Netflix…I can’t get enough of that show.

I love Phil’s shows. The goofiness is part of the appeal for me. I have enough stress and sadness in my life these days. It’s nice to see someone genuinely enjoying life and learn about new places at the same time.

I enjoy the interaction with the parents at the end of each show. I do feel a little sorry for the Brother/Producer though.

Because of this thread (I hadn’t even heard of the show), I watched the first episode of Somebody Feel Phil last night (Bangkok). I absolutely loved it. He’s a goofy, truly funny guy and I really enjoyed the show. I laughed audibly at least three times. It was refreshing in it’s non-stuffiness and lack or arrogance. To me, too many food personalities have gotten too far down the “You’re doing it wrong…” road and this was exactly the opposite. Thanks for bringing this out.

I love the show too. It is good to watch somebody that open, and his shtick is well within my tolerance.

If you guys haven’t watched Chef’s Table on Netflix, it’s an absolute must watch. There are three versions. The main one, then a four episode Chef’s Table France, and a four episode Chef’s Table BBQ.

There are at least a couple of threads on those shows. A vastly different experience than Phil…

Very different for sure. Didn’t mean to insert any thread drift.

I just could not get into it as I found Phil’s character somewhat annoying…

Huh?

Can’t stand it. How does someone with so little knowledge of food get a good show? Tried to watch the hawaii episode…“wow you use fresh fish! Amazing!”

The Italy trip was fun, reconnecting with people after many years. Seeing his whole family was nice as well. Unfortunate about his moms passing, she seemed very much into his exploits. He certainly is not food ‘pro’ but there seems enough of those and sure, he’s a bit goofy but his passion seems real and the world needs some easygoing TV, no?