Would Bananas Foster work with any other fruit?

Love the theory hate hate hate the fruit. I was once offered $50 Dare to eat one Banana As a college student and couldn’t do it even though I needed the $50 [rofl.gif]

Do you think we could sub in another fruit and get good results? My first thought was maybe pears or peaches. I know nothing about bananas as I can’t hardly even sniff one.

New Orleans cuisine is my favorite and I’ve always felt a bit slighted that I can’t do this. Or if you’ve had it, is the whole dish overrated?

Peaches was my first thought. Pineapple might work.

But bananas are the best fruit on the planet (except for grapes for obvious reasons).

1 Like

Pineapple is interesting for sure, maybe caramelized? Do bananas bring balance or are they just sweet on sweet here too?

I reckon peaches, pears, even apples would all work well with the classic spices. Only comment is that some like apples and pears would require more time than bananas to cook and soften up a bit so you’d have to be mindful you’re not burning the caramel sauce as you cook the fruit. Pineapple also sounds like interesting alternative.

Mango, Mon, Mango ! [wow.gif] flirtysmile

Durian.

2 Likes

First recipe wants banana liquor [barf1.gif] neener

Pawpaw would work well.

Maybe mango?

Is cherries jubilee the same thing/different fruit?

Slightly different things. Both are finished by being flambeed, but are cooked in different sauces. In foster, the banana or other fruit is cooked in a butter-based caramel sauce usually with some baking spices mixed in as well. Jubilee on the other hand, the fruit is cooked with sugar and zest to make a syrup and then flambeed.

Avocado!

Pineapple for sure.

+1 on avo

Cherimoya and persimmon would be my entry (leaning heavily on the cherimoya).
Maybe papaya, but they often have that vomit smell to them.

1 Like

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3175510#p3175510

I don’t understand. It anchor links to a bunch of posts in this thread that don’t appear to mention anything that I did(?)

It links post #6 [wink.gif]

Ahh, the true vomit fruit! I have never had it. Maybe?.. https://www.buyexoticfruits.com/freshdurian.html

Maybe try sweet potatoes? Perhaps slice and partially bake the potatoes before the flambé treatment?