Burr Grinder Recommendation

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Christine Huang

Burr Grinder Recommendation

#1 Post by Christine Huang »

After a decade+ of dutiful service, my burr grinder died. I’m now on the hunt for a new one. I’m tempted to get the Breville as I love their products. Is there another one I should consider?

Corey N.

Re: Burr Grinder Recommendation

#2 Post by Corey N. »

Assumiing that this is for coffee and not espresso.

The Baratza Encore is a very good workhorse grinder. No frills, great customer service, very reliable. They have anther model called the Virtuoso, which is a step up in quality and price.

If money isn't a concern, you might want to look at the Ode, which started as a kickstarter project. It has some nice reviews, but more than that, it's visually stunning.

I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by TimF »

I had a Baratza for several years until the motor burned up. Replaced it with a Rancilio Rocky which is far sturdier and has been going like a champ for probably 8 years now.
Last edited by TimF on January 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim F@itsch

DaveStandridge
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by DaveStandridge »

+1 for the Baratza Encore. Best grinder for the money and extremely reliable. Our office has one that sees multiple uses daily and has been flawless for the past 6ish years while mine at home is only a couple of years old.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Rodrigo B »

What type of grinder you get is going to be dependent on the type of coffee you are brewing, espresso or pour over.

Another +1 for the Encore for pour over it’s flexible in grind sizes and pretty consistent. It’s a workhorse. Not a fan of the Ode. It’s quite a bit messy and it has a much narrower grinding band.

If you’re looking for an espresso grinder, I’m a fan of the Sette.
B r @ g @

jrozes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by jrozes »

+1 for Baratza. My Virtuoso is going strong after 14 years. Parts are readily available if/when something breaks.
Jonathan

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith »

TimF wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:12 am I had a Baratza for several years until the motor burned up. Replaced it with a Rancilio Rocky which is far sturdier and has been going like a champ for probably 8 years now.
My Rocky is 10, and I would rate it as a superb machine, light years more functional and sturdy than the Baratza it replaced.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

M Nichols

#8 Post by M Nichols »

For both espresso and coffee, there's really only one choice for a single grinder, the Malknonig EK43. However, it's very large, very heavy, and very expensive. Commercial - but incredible. I opted for the "short" model which barely fits under a kitchen counter without the hopper (so you have to single dose). I've owned different grinder brands and am sold on Malkhonig for consistency. Highly recommended.
M . N i c h o l s

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by dcornutt »

I have both Rancillio Rocky and Baratza Vario with stainless burrs that I put in myself in 10 minutes. I still have the ceramics for espresso.
I love the Vario. Most important it is very even with the grind. More so to me than my Rocky but that is just my experience. For espresso with the ceramic burrs it is perfect. The grind is incredible. Better than the Rancillio. Since I don't do espresso now but drip coffee with my Moccamaster, I have the stainless burrs in set to my preferred grind. I had to experiment just like the Rocky to get this. It has 3 timing settings where you can set a button to grind for you for a specified time. I know that 20 seconds is perfect for my pot. This is where the Rocky is a pain. You have to hold the grind button the whole time until you are finished. Count out 20 seconds. Just my opinion. The Vario is not super expensive. It is well made. Not tank-like like the Rocky but very well made.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by Chris Foley »

I'm happy with my Kitchenaid burr grinder. A bit different form factor compared to most others, but it works for me.
The only downside is that its noisy - for about 20 seconds a day.
Chris F.

Steve Crawford

#11 Post by Steve Crawford »

if you're talking 'coffee', i like my baratza virtuoso plus. fit my budget. grinders are like speakers, you can spend as much or as little as you want.
also consider how much you are grinding.
as the porcupine said to the stewardess, `very carefully’- Dr. Adam Bricker

Christine Huang

#12 Post by Christine Huang »

Yes, coffee not espresso. We have the Moccamaster. I’ll look into those suggested above. The one that died was a Solis, which looks exactly like the Baratza Encore.

Thank you all!

Chris Kravitz

#13 Post by Chris Kravitz »

I have a kitchen aide, not sure how old it is but over 10 and less than 20. Used daily, no issues except it is NOISY. I strictly use it for a filter or press pot grind, I don't believe it will give the fine grind I want for espresso.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-a ... lsrc=aw.ds
custom-wine-cellars.com

ybarselah

#14 Post by ybarselah »

Christine Huang wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:25 am Yes, coffee not espresso. We have the Moccamaster. I’ll look into those suggested above. The one that died was a Solis, which looks exactly like the Baratza Encore.

Thank you all!
given their track record, reasonable pricing, ease of repair, etc., you'd have to try really hard to come up with an alternative to baratza.
Yaacov (ITB)

M. Meer

#15 Post by M. Meer »

Breville going 7+ years strong here. Have heard good things about those mentioned. Probably would have gone for Baratza if not Breville.
All of the wines in my cellar are underrated. Everything that is not is overrated.
[snort.gif]
Mar.kus

Chris S p i k e s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Chris S p i k e s »

Christine Huang wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:25 am Yes, coffee not espresso. We have the Moccamaster. I’ll look into those suggested above. The one that died was a Solis, which looks exactly like the Baratza Encore.

Thank you all!
The Solis is made by Baratza and rebranded. Starbucks used to sell their branded version and someone gave me one as a gift. I repaired it several times via Baratza's parts and service. It's a very good grinder. I bought Virtuoso about 10 years ago for some of the features, but the same grind quality was there with my old Starbucks Solis which makes sense because the internals of the two are very similar. Or, at least they were. I guess my old Starbucks Solis had to have been made around 1999. Baratza is awesome to work with and I love that you can service and repair their grinders. I think they make the best drip grinders and they have a very consistent grind which is key.

Scott G r u n e r

#17 Post by Scott G r u n e r »

I bought the Baratza Encore a while back and am mostly happy. Would be nice to have a "timed" setting as opposed to a binary on/off switch- (so I could more easily grind the exact same amount each day), but otherwise I am pretty happy with it.

I have no idea how it manages to spread grinds all over the counter every morning though- it *looks* like a closed system, but yet every morning I wipe off a bunch of grinds off my counters.
//Cynic

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by H Wallace Jr »

Scott G r u n e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:51 pm I have no idea how it manages to spread grinds all over the counter every morning though- it *looks* like a closed system, but yet every morning I wipe off a bunch of grinds off my counters.
+1 on this.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

Chris S p i k e s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Chris S p i k e s »

Scott G r u n e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:51 pm I bought the Baratza Encore a while back and am mostly happy. Would be nice to have a "timed" setting as opposed to a binary on/off switch- (so I could more easily grind the exact same amount each day), but otherwise I am pretty happy with it.

I have no idea how it manages to spread grinds all over the counter every morning though- it *looks* like a closed system, but yet every morning I wipe off a bunch of grinds off my counters.
Baratza used to make these and they are exceptional at precisely measuring by weight. I have one and have tested it against accurate scales several times. It appears they are no longer made so when mine dies, I'll have to go back to using scales.

It was called the Esatto and worked with the Virtuoso.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by Rodrigo B »

Scott G r u n e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:51 pm I have no idea how it manages to spread grinds all over the counter every morning though- it *looks* like a closed system, but yet every morning I wipe off a bunch of grinds off my counters.
It’s likely static cling causing the issue. It's a common problem faced by pretty much most grinders to some extent or another. The grinding process can make coffee grounds to pick up an electrical charge causing the grounds to either stick to surface or fly everywhere. There’s a few ways to deal with it, the most common being adding a few drops of water to the beans before grinding.
B r @ g @

James Sanders

#21 Post by James Sanders »

I've had a Mazzer mini for about 15 years. They are a bit on the pricey side, but they are basically commercial grade and last forever.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Al Osterheld »

I was also going to suggest the drops of water trick. I use lighter roasts which are much less prone to the problem (but which are supposedly harder on grinders).

-Al

Steve Crawford

#23 Post by Steve Crawford »

what Al said, or you can just barely wet the the non working end of a spoon/fork/knife and swirl around your beans before they're ground.

Scott G r u n e r

#24 Post by Scott G r u n e r »

Interesting. will give that a test. There is some static to the sides of the grind receptacle for sure... but I take that out, across the room and over to the sink to empty for that reason. The grinds show up on the counter all around the grinder regardless...
//Cynic

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#25 Post by Rodrigo B »

Scott G r u n e r wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:33 am Interesting. will give that a test. There is some static to the sides of the grind receptacle for sure... but I take that out, across the room and over to the sink to empty for that reason. The grinds show up on the counter all around the grinder regardless...
Another thing you can do to make clean up a bit easier is keep the grinder on top of a cloth place mat. I fold mine in half and then it’s pretty much the perfect size without taking up extra counter space and keeps the kitchen looking nice. Pretty much all the grounds fall on the place mat and then I just clean that. Makes it a bit easier to clean up.
B r @ g @

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Al Osterheld »

If you look closely when you remove the receptacle, you'll probably be able to see a few grounds flying out. It's definitely caused by static.

-Al

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by MitchTallan »

Like Don, I have the Rocky Roncillo and he is absolutely correct that it is a pain to sit there and hold down the grind switch (which takes a lot of pressure to hold down), but it is built like a tank. This thing has a monster motor, massive disc grinders, and taken care of will last forever. I am done with Baratza- bells and whistles and a weak motor and transmission.
No thanks given.

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by John O' »

I've had my Capresso infinity grinder for years. Got it based on a reco from another string on this board and I've been very pleased. Full disclosure, have only used to make coffee.
O Sullivan

Matt Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Matt Allen »

The Baratza models (I have the Virtuoso) are rebuildable, which I like. I never plan to buy another.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Robert M yers »

I have the Baratza 270w, I’m really glad I payed up for the model. It’s just so easy...hit the button and it weighs your beans.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Robert M yers wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:30 pm I have the Baratza 270w, I’m really glad I payed up for the model. It’s just so easy...hit the button and it weighs your beans.
Mine crapped out yesterday, 270wi. I was tardy with cleaning and ran some grindz to clean. It was too late, had to remove the burrs and clean it out. The display won’t light up.

ybarselah

#32 Post by ybarselah »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:03 pm
Robert M yers wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:30 pm I have the Baratza 270w, I’m really glad I payed up for the model. It’s just so easy...hit the button and it weighs your beans.
Mine crapped out yesterday, 270wi. I was tardy with cleaning and ran some grindz to clean. It was too late, had to remove the burrs and clean it out. The display won’t light up.
actually a known issue - i had the same. they'll send you a new controller/front thingy. annoying, but they're responsive.
Yaacov (ITB)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

ybarselah wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:05 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:03 pm
actually a known issue - i had the same. they'll send you a new controller/front thingy. annoying, but they're responsive.
Thanks. I’ll call, I haven’t had time. Plus I have my old Barratza as backup and a Macap somewhere.

wspohn

#34 Post by wspohn »

I have found this one to be reliable and built like a tank with all of the adjustability and none of the attitude my old Italian grinder exhibited.

Bill in BC
Vancouver BC

BeauT

#35 Post by BeauT »

Cuisinart hands down for a daily workhorse grinder but not for espresso grind level, for that recommendations have to go to the ascaso mini, great italian burr grinder for a decent price
T o o z

David Fleming

#36 Post by David Fleming »

I've had a Breville for about 10 years. It has been great. Still has good grind consistency after all this time.

I've been looking at the Ode, but it supposedly doesn't go as fine as some would like it for V60 brewing. They are coming out with new burrs to address this. Otherwise it's supposedly a great grinder.

Ideally, I'd really love to have an EK43S, but I can't quite commit to it. Maybe if I can find a good second hand unit.

tedhase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by tedhase »

Weber Workshops HG-1. A burr grinder you can pass on to your children.

https://weberworkshops.com/products/hg-1

Chris S p i k e s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Chris S p i k e s »

tedhase wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:07 pm Weber Workshops HG-1. A burr grinder you can pass on to your children.

I've flirted with getting one of those in the past, but I had the impression is was more designed for the espresso end of things rather than drip or pour over. I abandoned my almost leap into the serious espresso world almost 10 years ago, so I never purchased an espresso grinder.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Mark Y »

tedhase wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:07 pm Weber Workshops HG-1. A burr grinder you can pass on to your children.

That thing is so beautiful it belongs in a museum.
😍😍😍
Y.e.

Steve Crawford

#40 Post by Steve Crawford »

this is what i have for espresso. i grind on average of 100 grams a day, good workout for my right arm. it's outstanding, but not for everyone.
if you want to switch grind size, do not even think of buying. dialing this in took me a good 2 months.
i use a separate (read: cheaper) grinder for 'coffee'.

edit-i just realized the max you could grind with their standard included equipment is probably 30 grams.
this could be modified with after market parts. and of course if you go on youtube you can see how people have added a motor to this unit. to me this defeats the purpose.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”