Need recipe for world's greatest vegetarian main dish

On Monday night, I need to eat a vegetarian dinner AND it needs to have no pasta, potatoes, rice, beans, quinoa or other “overt” carbs. I can make a very good eggplant parm (home made sauce to limit sugar) or ratatouille, but I am looking for other alternatives to choose from. Any ideas?

I love burying the lead. Why do I need a vegetarian dinner? I have to have major surgery on Tuesday and I am advised not to eat any meat or fish the day before. It’s OK because I just got a Flannery dry aged roast for dinner Sunday night. However, I want to do the best I can on Monday as well.

You already have it, eggplant parm is the worlds greatest vegetarian dish. And it can be delicious even without the frying, just have the eggplant cooked until it can be cut with just a fork. And fresh mozzarella has less sodium than the regular type.

Seems to me before surgery, sodium might be more of an issue than complex carbs, but Tempe is very low sodium and can be grilled.

Grill/broil the Tempe, spiced appropriately, cut up and put in a stir fry. I find it very satisfying , but I’m at the other end of the carnivore spectrum from you.

Also broiled mushrooms can be amazing Unami bombs. My wife does oyster mushrooms and they are stunning when they come out well (crisp), which is often.

Stir fry with tofu and ginger also is nice. You want something that doesn’t slow down your GI tract.

Why no fish though. Most are very digestible.

Because the doctor said so and they didn’t teach gastroenterology in my Constitutional Law class.

I love Christine’s Vegetable Torta:

I’ve been a vegetarian for 30 yrs…

Do you like Cauliflower and goat cheese?
This is a delicious recipe, and I think it fits your requirements. It’s Alon Shaya’s recipe. He serves it at his restaurant in New Orleans.

try this (sans breadcrumbs, of course) from Ottolenghi. Very good. You can use different kinds of cheese, we did it last night with tilsit and tallegio, really tasty.

https://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/endive/

I got nuthin to add, except good luck to you, Jay!

I am intrigued. Does she do it high or low heat? Olive oil and salt? or some other treatment. I love mushrooms, and love roasted vegetables, so curious about this!

1 Like

That made me laugh out loud. I listen to my doctor and auto mechanic the same way. I try to ask questions so they think I know something, but at the end of the day I have chosen those providers that I trust, and so I trust them.

Zucchini Cakes
6DF660F6-24D1-43F5-A209-7AD17AFA6731.jpeg
8077BE32-444F-482D-B8A8-70667806CC7A.jpeg
(You can easily substitute for the Pancetta with crispy onion rings)

Recipe calls for 4C shredded Zucchini but it was shy.
Shred
5C Zucchini
2/3C Onion
1-1/2Tsp Kosher Salt
Mix and let stand 30 minutes minimum, put in cheese cloth and squeeze out liquid

Cook
1- 3oz package Pancetta

Slice fresh Mozzarella into 8 1/4" thick slices.
Slice heirloom tomato(s) to get 4 1/4" thick slices
Pull fresh basil leaves, enough for 2-3 leaves 8x and 4 sprigs for garnish.

Whisk
1 Egg
1-1/2 Tbsp minced Garlic
1Tbsp Italian Herb Seasoning
1C Mozzarella or White Cheddar Cheez-it Crackers depending on what your market carries and crush into crumbs.
Stir in Zucchini mixture and crcker crumbs, scoop batter with 1/3C measure onto baking sheet and press into 8 cakes the same diameter as the tomato and cheese slices.

Add 2-3Tbsp Canola oil to Pancetta drippings and in same pan over med-high heat and cook cakes 4 min on each side. When you flip top each cake with mozzarella slice so it melts as the cake cooks.

Assemble
Plate one cake, top with tomato, basil, 2-3 pieces pancetta, basil and one more cake. Garnish with basil sprig. Take a picture because they won’t look like that very long!

Paired nicely with 2016 Dirty & Rowdy Familiar Blanc

Jay! Hoping for fast and easy healing!

My fave veggie dish has a pie crust so it’s out …

Best of luck on the surgery, Jay!

Per my wife:

Best using oyster mushrooms, but others work if you keep them to 1/4” or less.

Heat the oven to 375
Line a baking sheet with foil and spray olive oil
Place the mushrooms gill side up in a single layer, tear them apart if they are thicker than a 1/4 inch. They can overlap as they shrink
Spray lightly with olive oil.
Sprinkle with salt of your choice, (seasoned salt works well) and herbs, I use fresh cut rosemary
Dribble a bit of truffled olive oil over the tray
Bake about 15 minutes, checking regularly. They are ready when the edges are crisp and the centers still have a bit of moisture.

1 Like

Thanks Barry – i will definitely try this!

This is totally time intensive but it looks amazing.

I would have gone with ratatouille or eggplant parm (I love eggplant), but you have that covered. But about burying the lede…I’m not sure what’s going on, but the word “major” is scary. I hope that you have a swift and complete recovery. Please check in when you can, to let us know that everything went ok.

Jay, all the best on Tuesday.

Hope you have an uneventful surgery and quick recovery!

Or Miznon’s whole roasted cauliflower (serve it with tahini and green chilis)

Good luck tommorow!