Nashville Eats

Heading that way end of Feb.

Will have two children 3/7. Total of 8 people

Never been there, casual eats. But this group likes finer dining too. Kids are good

Not dinner coat dining thou

Paully

Hattie B’s for famous Nashville Hot Chicken. I have no idea what the Covid situation is, but pre-Covid the key we had always discovered was to go to the one on 8th Ave. S rather than the one in Midtown on 19th. We would still wait in line to get in the door, but the line would be much shorter.

For finer, we enjoyed Husk. Again, not sure what their covid situation is.

The Catbird Seat is the must-go, hip, 38 course tasting menu with a performance kitchen place that everyone talks about but no one can get a reservation for, but I’ve never eaten there. Couldn’t get a reservation.

We also enjoyed the Graduate Hotel if you’re looking to stay in that part of town (near Vandy).

Husk was fine in June. I was seated in the room to the left, immediately upon entry. Food was great, as were the cocktails. Tables are spaced out and servers wearing masks.

Hattie B’s was o.k. I was dragging a trunk full of Monkish, so not sure I could have done it any better. There’s a giant liquor store ~4 blocks away that’s worth a stop if you like bourbon.

Wasn’t able to make it to Pancake Pantry, which has always been a favorite. IIRC, there was a wine shop next to Pancake Pantry that was pretty solid. Hard to beat sweet potato pancakes in cinnamon cream syrup.

How could I have forgotten to mention Pancake Pantry? Definitely a must especially with the kiddos along.

For BBQ, check out Peg Leg Porker and Martin’s…the latter has a few locations. Edley’s is good too. For hot chicken, I find Hattie’s to be hit or miss…try Red’s 615…probably takeout as it little more than a walk up and it will be cold in February. Lockland Table is a great spot. And Kayne Prime is always solid…fine dining and some will be dressed up, but others in jeans. Tons of great places and most are doing limited seating. Pancake is not worth the line in my opinion…try Loveless Cafe…could be a line, but more authentic.

1 Like

Nice places I’ve enjoyed over the years. Don’t know what covid protocols are in place though

Etch- one of my favorites. You don’t need a jacket. Check out the menu though as it might not work for kids. great food
City House- solid casual Italian with southern influence. should be fine for kids
5th and Taylor- had a great dinner in their private room pre covid
Husk- lunch could be a good option always very good
Butcher Town Hall- good option for kids, solid.
The Southern- pretty good for larger groups and kids. fantastic bourbon list
Bob’s Steak and Chop House- very good a little more old school then Kayne Prime. Both are great. I remember I was able to bring wine into Bob’s
Edley’s BBQ- 12 south or Sylvain. Another solid place with kids.

Plenty of other great dinner spots but menu’s might not appeal to kids. Miss going there for work and seeing friends.

Totally forgot - Joyland, Sean Brock’s fastfood place. I didn’t make it there, either, but I’m a huge fan of his (started Husk) and the casual concept looks really cool.

1 Like

Returned from Nashville trip

First night ate downtown: The Stillery–Pretty much bar food, decent serve. Did Fried pickles, pizza, fish. This is about 1 block from the bomb site, which is still locked down. Btw… 5th and Broadway open sat… Crazy. Though we missed it.

Our VRBO was in Franklin;

First hit was Arrington Vinyards/ cool place/ Brooks and Dunn winery/ had the Rose decent

Lunch Garcia’s-- nice establishment/ serves real marg’s too/ food B+

the next day lunch 55 South/ food was excellent here. .Cajun A- Beer was good

and the next day–the preverbal Hattie B-- I did the sm drk Hot…thats up there cant imagine the top heat level

I have no idea what the restaurant scene is in Nashville now but based on many years of visiting…

City House, Lockeland Table, Adele’s, Etch, Husk, Martin’s for BBQ is a good suggestion, kid friendly, Rolf and Daughters is great but I’m not sure it is kid friendly. Loveless Cafe would be good but there will be a line. Same with Biscuit Love. Cat Bird Seat isn’t kid friendly. Been there 4-5 times. And, from the last visit I would tell you that they aren’t friendly at all. The attitude we got was bad enough that we swore the place off. The food is great but I’m not going back.