Balsamic

Has anybody every tried the annual Rare Wine Co annual offer? I’m always tempted but the price [swoon.gif]

As a know nothing in the high end world of aged balsamics does anyone have any rec’s for something a little more wallet friendly?

For the really exceptional stuff, what is your favorite way to let them shine?

I have no idea .We have a bottle of old balsamic that has increased in price, so no occasion is special enough. I’m thinking a drizzle for some Flannery. It’s time, the angels share might be daunting.

Update: what appears to be some kind of BBdate was in 2017. I think it’s time?

Aged balsamic has a BB date? Who would have thought?

FWIW I worked in a wine bar that was also an olive oil and vinegar shop that was part of the California-based We Olive chain. They sell a 16 year-old (I think) balsamic from Modena that is really very good. At around $38 for a 750ml bottle it’s a good value.

https://weolive.com/

Bariani makes an excellent balsamic vinegar, especially their aged 12-year-old. The aged is thicker and sweeter than the regular.

The regular is available at Products | Bariani Olive Oil

For the 12-year aged good stuff, email emanuele[at]barianioliveoil.com

I like the aged balsamic in salad dressing and drizzled on Parmesan cheese.

I have some of their stuff but rarely use it.
I use Villa Mandoori often.
I also like Fini in the under $20 category.

The bottle on the left is the traditional balsamic. It must be approved by a D.O.C. committee and the bottle shape shows it’s the real deal. It is wonderful drizzled on fruit and it makes an interesting ice cream topping.

P.S. the bottle was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro the car designer.

1 Like

I have bought the venerable set and love it!
Pricey but worth it.
I still have some from last year.

I purchased “Amelia” today. You only need a couple drops. 100ml should go a long way.

We have purchased their offering a couple of times over the years. Basically, if we’re out, we order. Once you have had the “real” stuff, you’ll never go back. Use it on anything that calls for a balsamic glaze.

Couple of favorite uses;

• Burrata (sliced heirloom tomato, slice of burrata, drizzle with aged balsamic, garnish with basil, optional; salt and pepper to taste)
  • Drizzle over sliced up aged parm or pecorino on the cheese board
  • Drizzle over ice cream

My wife got me a bottle of the Nonna for Christmas and it’s pretty stellar.

bought the two high end ones a decade ago. Love but rarely use them. More of a dessert balsamic.

Had a trace over Morgan Wagyu last night, pretty nice.