Help, I need some new pots

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

Help, I need some new pots

#1 Post by J a y H a c k »

Other than a Green Pan for omelets, a Le Cruset for casseroles and a large heavy cast-iron, my wife and I are generally not happy with our pots and pans, which represent a random collection of items we have bought over the years. Can anyone recommend a brand/set that we can buy that will just make me happy when I use them. The pot and pan equivalent of a really good knife. You do not need it, but it makes cooking more fun. I am 69 years old, and I figure if I invest in some good pans, they will carry me until all I can eat is oatmeal and cream of wheat.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Andrew M c C a b e
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Help, I need some new pots

#2 Post by Andrew M c C a b e »

We recently purchased Demeyere Industry5 pots and pans and are very happy with the performance. A little bit on the expensive side but they look like they will last.
Andrew M.

Victor Hong

#3 Post by Victor Hong »

Noo Joizee just legalized the stuff.
WineHunter.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by J a y H a c k »

Victor Hong wrote: November 18th, 2020, 8:26 am Noo Joizee just legalized the stuff.
But I am a Type II diabetic so getting the munchees is bad.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Rodrigo B »

+1 for Demeyere, excellent design and quality. Really even heating, and the handles might be my favourite part about them. Really highlights their thoughtful design considerations. It disperses heat well and doesn't heat up the handle. It's also welded to the outside instead of riveted which makes cleaning a lot easier. Expensive, but built for performance and to last
B r @ g @

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Jay $$ Winton »

We bought an induction range for our new house so need recs for pots etc. Fortunately, cast iron works.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Josh Grossman »

For pots, I like Dansk--but admit it's mostly for the aesthetic. For pans, I have a bridge burner with a Le Creuset cast iron reversible grill/griddle that is my work horse. For skillets I'm convinced by carbon steel and like Darto and AUS-ION by Solidteknics. I have a large amount of antique cast iron that I very rarely get out. I have gas, so copper doesn't seem like that great of a benefit. I know you said you wanted a set, but I'm an *sshole.

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8 Post by Dan Hammer »

This space for rent.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Josh Grossman »

Dan Hammer wrote: November 18th, 2020, 10:36 am Made in Cookware. https://madeincookware.com/pages/review ... gKwRPD_BwE
I gave away my Made In. I don't like that there are rivets going into the skillet. The handle stuck up too far to fit under the broiler. There is no heat dissipation mods in the handle so you can pick it up. The quality is okay but the design isn't great.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by PeterH »

All Clad regularly has "factory second" sales at half off. That makes it reasonably priced, but I haven't compared closely to Made In normal pricing.
We have one Demeyere pan, which seems heavier than necessary. Beautiful pan, though.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#11 Post by Jay Miller »

I've been happy with both Hestan (originally recommended on this board by Mark G) and my All Clad copper core.

And my old copper bottomed Revere Ware from their early period I got from my mom though some of them have warped.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12 Post by Jay Miller »

You might find this thread useful:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=155117

Mike Cohen

#13 Post by Mike Cohen »

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I'm done with buying high end pots and pans unless its from HomeGoods or HomeSense or one of those type stores. Every time I'm in one of those stores, I see plenty of All Clad, Calphalon, Cuisinart, Le Crueset, Staub, etc. for a fraction of the price. I actually don't understand how Williams Sonoma stays in business.

With regard to non-stick pans, I buy cheap ones from the same stores and use them until the non-stick factor sucks. And then I buy a new one. I don't remember paying more than $8-10 for an 8" non-stick omelette pan.

John S

#14 Post by John S »

All Clad users here. Our main pots/pans are the All Clad "copper core". We have some that are aluminum core (with stainless) and the bit of copper is a nice touch in terms of use and still not too heavy. Those aluminum core ones may go to the kids and are 30+ years old. These are daily use for a family family of 5 for over 20 years and still going strong. We have one all clad saucepan is all copper but it is too heavy for everyday use, just specific sauces.
John Sprow

Eric Michels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Eric Michels »

I remain very happy with my All-Clad saucepans (have both the old MC and MC2 lines as well as newer copper core TK line). I also have plenty of skillets from the same lines but never use them - I always reach for either Lodge cast iron or some carbon steel that I picked up at Homegoods. I wouldn't repurchase expensive skillets.

David K o l i n
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by David K o l i n »

I never regret going for my All-Clad, although I have quite an assortment in my collection (including some Cuisinart steel from 40 years ago. Indestructible

I don’t use their frying pans, though - mostly restaurant nonstick and cast iron

NED VALOIS

#17 Post by NED VALOIS »

Jay,
About 40 years ago I bought Paderno pots & pans and have loved them ever since. We cook alot ! They are indestructible and heavy duty. Warranteed for life and used on Queen Elizabeth's ship & Air Force One.They are no longer made, however these (below) seem close and with same name, made in Canada !
Good luck !

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pade ... c=true#spc

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Scott Brunson »

Josh Grossman wrote: November 18th, 2020, 10:44 am
Dan Hammer wrote: November 18th, 2020, 10:36 am Made in Cookware. https://madeincookware.com/pages/review ... gKwRPD_BwE
I gave away my Made In. I don't like that there are rivets going into the skillet. The handle stuck up too far to fit under the broiler. There is no heat dissipation mods in the handle so you can pick it up. The quality is okay but the design isn't great.
We enjoy ours. They cook really hot, which can be a negative as well as a positive.
I especially like the saucier.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by PeterH »

Misen is another option.

https://misen.com/pages/collection

The difference from most others is the rounded bottom on the sauce pans, which is nice if you really use them to make sauces.

They currently have a 25% off code FEAST

Made In is running a 25% off promotion too.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

All Clad fans in this house. Bought a set with a heavy discount that I found on a post here. Posted more to tell you about Bar Keeper’s Friend, which I use to clean my pans/pots. Used powder, steel wool and some warm water and cleaned up two years of grime in about 30 mins. Have used previously on a Mauviel sauce pan, as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram at @akgrill

jeffmazen

#21 Post by jeffmazen »

Jay,

I'm doing the same for my beach house. I landed on Sitram cookware. What I've found is if I buy great pots they will outlive me.
Unum

MitchTallan

#22 Post by MitchTallan »

I bought the black anodized exterior All-Clad twenty years ago-pretty much one of everything. They have never let me down. They get banged around and abused. They go off the six burner Thermador range and into the oven often. There may be better-haven't tried them all-but they are well designed. Most times I can handle the hot handle without a towel. I have never noticed any uneven cooking. If there is one draw-back, it might be getting a good sear on fish and meat.
No thanks given.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Lee Short »

I've got de Buyer for carbon pans, Demeyere for stainless, Staub / Creuset for enameled cast iron. I use carbon steel pans for most skillet tasks, stainless when I'm cooking reactive foods. enameled cast iron for dutch oven, etc.

De buyer makes (made?) a carbon steel roasting pan, which is hard to find, but cleans up so much easier than a stainless roasting pan.

Brent C l a y t o n

#24 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

Misen non-stick pans are awesome. I haven't tried any of their other stuff.

I have a few All-Clad pots which I like.

You might be covered if you have cast iron already, but my Turk forged iron fry pans were game changers.
https://kaufmann-mercantile.com/product ... 3979663454
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by mike pobega »

Gave away my Made-In too.
I love my Hexclad.
https://hexclad.com/?nbt=nb%3Aadwords%3 ... ksQAvD_BwE

RKatz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by RKatz »

Hestan Nanobond's are pretty impressive. Very hard to scratch and very even heating, flat rivets. Trading up for my all-clads which too much sticks to.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by Chris Freemott »

Count me as a big fan of Made In. Have some Misen too, but really prefer the Made in. I can see why how you use them (hot handles above) could be an issue. But, I really love mine. My favorite is the saucier but the 2QT sauce pan (which wasn’t available for sale recently?) is a go to pot/pan for me. And I think Made In’s Teflon is better than Misen and Misen was miles ahead of what I’ve had before which included All Clad.

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#28 Post by Jay Miller »

Oh, and I assume you have some enameled cast iron already (Le Creuset, etc.) but if not then you need at least one dutch oven.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Ken Strauss »

I own a set of all-clad d5 that I have been very happy with.
That said after reading this thread I would purchase the Hestan set now if I was in the market.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Billrider

#30 Post by Billrider »

I suggest Gotham Steel or Red Copper https://blades.guru/gotham-steel-pan-vs-red-copper-pan. Both pans claim to deliver excellent non-stick performance, and part of their approach for achieving this is the inclusion of ceramic materials in their coatings. Both are oven and dishwasher safe as well.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by J a y H a c k »

After agonizing over this for too long, I got the Misen full set. We had gone to BB&Beyond and my wife hated all the pots I liked because they were too heavy. She couldn't test the Misen pots in advance. She said they are just as heavy as the others. I paid $1,000 less for the Misen set than for the copper All Clad and I told my wife to go and buy a set for herself. The only problem is where do we put them all. The Misen seem pretty good but I have never used the All Clad d5 or copper.

David K o l i n
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#32 Post by David K o l i n »

I love my All-Clad steel and aluminum sauce pans. My fry pans (non-stick and other) are regular quality restaurant stock. They take a ton of abuse. Just replaced an 8” nonstick frypan for $30 after 7 or 8 years of use. Love my cast iron as well

Scott G r u n e r

#33 Post by Scott G r u n e r »

The $20 Tramontina commercial nonstick is best non stick I have had. Otherwise cannot go wrong with all clad and a good cast iron or two.
//Cynic

John Davis
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#34 Post by John Davis »

We’ve used All Clad for years and have been very happy.
ITB

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by J a y H a c k »

Scott G r u n e r wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:45 pm The $20 Tramontina commercial nonstick is best non stick I have had. Otherwise cannot go wrong with all clad and a good cast iron or two.
I got the Tramontina regular non stick at Costco on sale for $20 for three skillets. Can't beat it, and if they don't last, would you pay $1 each for 20 good omelets? If so, they've already paid for themselves and look brand new.

Brian Curtis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Brian Curtis »

We have a complete set of Smithey cast iron which are fantastic. The 14" Smithey cast iron skillet is probably our most used pan. We also have stainless clad Cuisinart stockpots and sauté pans which have served us well for many years plus a Staub enameled cast iron braiser which is very nice.

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Jim Friedman »

https://www.zwilling.com/us/ballarini/

I was at Costco 1-2 years ago and someone was selling this at an end cap as a weekend special for a 3 piece set. She convinced me it was the best nonstick pans at Costco so I tried them. They are much better than the Costco $20-50 sets.
I also use 50 year old Farberware stainless for daily use plus a 22 year old set of All Clad copper. Both are great.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Jay Miller wrote: November 18th, 2020, 10:45 am I've been happy with both Hestan (originally recommended on this board by Mark G) and my All Clad copper core.

And my old copper bottomed Revere Ware from their early period I got from my mom though some of them have warped.
I killed my Hestan when I left it on the range and enjoyed a long dinner. I have migrated to Hexclad; very happy with them. Non stick and brown beautifully.
Huge Creuset fan, and took advantage of sales to buy a couple more.
ITB

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”