Waygu beef from Costco. Too Much Fat!!!

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

Waygu beef from Costco. Too Much Fat!!!

#1 Post by robert creth »

I should have known better but I was bored with my cooking and took a shot. $175 for two good sized steaks. I only cooked one. Simply seared with nothing but some sea salt. It has been awhile since I have been so disappointed. It is a slab of beef fat. It is like eating fresh tallow. I hated it. Fortunately I didn’t open anything grand but finished an open bottle of De Negoce #17 which had the acid to break through. Not my thing at all. I feel like I disrespected the animal. Ashamed that I participated. I makes me look at my food intake.

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Waygu beef from Costco. Too Much Fat!!!

#2 Post by Andrew K. »

I bought two packages. First, the price was $130/lb so 2 steaks for that price. Second, the fat content on my steaks was no more than usual Waygu A5. Third, you have to know how to cook this. I cook it frozen. Sear on a red hot cast iron skillet for a minute each side. Comes out beautifully rare. Serve with a fresh made yakiniku sauce.
к𝓁ย𝐠

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by mike pobega »

I purchased an Kobe A5 strip steak 3 weeks ago. Never had tasted before. While it was fun and insightful, I will probably never do it again. Just too rich for my taste. My $147 experiment.
Attachments
kobe.jpg

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brian Tuite »

This beef isn’t a toss a steak on the plate and dig in thing. It’s best consumed in small quantities, sliced fairly thin, like as an appetizer/finger food. A little goes a real long way.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I like making a5 with reverse sear. You have to be careful to avoid flaring it though.

Alex N

#6 Post by Alex N »

I cut it into strips or cubes and then cook to crispy edges, and 1 steak is served in pieces on a plate with other sides similar to an Asian family style dinner (rice, various vegetables, sauces etc), shared on the table, or raw on a plate and do Yakiniku. Grilling and ripping into A5 ribeye or NY solo would curb me.
@13x N1ch•!z

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by robert creth »

I am certain of cooking it properly. There was barely enough muscle to call it meat. I just never expected to hate it. I will try and use leftover for a fried rice dish but boy. Not my thing at all. Folks complain that foie gras is animal abuse but i never hear anything but how theses cows are lovingly tended. Yet looking at my steaks, i have to wonder. Is this honorable husbandry? Nothing i have ever eaten has so made me consider going vegetarian.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by M.Kaplan »

I prefer Kobe/Japanese Wagyu cooked Yakiniku or something similar ala Côte in NYC. Rather than an entire meal of ribeye, I like a series of different cuts and textures: heart, tongue, skirt, throat, short rib, ribeye, sirloin, etc. A little ribeye goes a long way.
---Mark

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Not being judgmental, but why? Sounds like a lot of finagling just to make it worthwhile. In a similar vein, I stopped ordering octopus at restaurants a long time ago after learning more about them.

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Ramon C »

I've stopped buying those larger slabs of high-grade Japanese wagyu simply because the fat content is overwhelming for me and my family. In the last few instances, I cut them up into and sear-cook small pieces (a la Côte NYC as Mark noted above) just to limit the cloying fattiness, but found the fat still overwhelming.

We've been more content with the American washugyu from our local Japanese butcher-store or so-called wagyu cuts from Snake River farms that have a lot marbled fat but still have the beefiness to help balance it.
@brera

M. Meer

#11 Post by M. Meer »

Brian Tuite wrote: November 8th, 2020, 7:16 am A little goes a real long way.
Absolutely. Diced and skewered is also a nice way to go. Beef is just one (albeit an important) part of a great izakaya night out. Some of my favorite experiences at Raku in Vegas may have involved no more than 6-9oz for the table. It is probably some of the best beef I've had ever.
All of the wines in my cellar are underrated. Everything that is not is overrated.
[snort.gif]
Mar.kus

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

IMO one of the best cuts of A5 is lifter (rib cap). It's inexpensive and spectacularly good, and has less innate fat than ribeye or strip, so it has a fantastic texture.

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Andrew K. »

My fav A5 cut is the filet since it's naturally less fatty.

As far as portion size, I cut my 1lb into 4 steaks and my wife and I share each one. So that's about 2 ounce servings which is perfect. Also reduces the cost to about $17/pp.
к𝓁ย𝐠

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#14 Post by c fu »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: November 8th, 2020, 5:06 pm IMO one of the best cuts of A5 is lifter (rib cap). It's inexpensive and spectacularly good, and has less innate fat than ribeye or strip, so it has a fantastic texture.
the blade/lifter is different from the rib cap - it's on top of the rib cap
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Peter Hirsch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Peter Hirsch »

Agree with most who say that the cooking method really matters. A5 Wagyu is an amazing product, but if you take a 1.5" thick ribeye, toss it on the grill, wait until it gets to medium rare and eat, it's gonna be terrible. My method. I take out of the fridge 1 hour ahead of time. A5 fat starts to liquify just over room temp so it will already be getting that 'greasy' look before cooking. I cut into strips, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and no more than 1" wide. Take a cast iron skillet, set the flame on high and wait until blazing hot. I cook 1 strip per person, only about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes per side, aiming for medium rare. And that's it. Amazingly delicious product, not 'fat' exactly, at least not fat like a regular steak, just full of delicious flavor. For those who prefer filet mignon vs ribeye, A5 Wagyu is not for you I think. Oh, I also agree that I like NY strips more than I like ribeyes, as ribeyes have too much fat even for me.
CostCo has a sale, might have one now, you can buy a striploin for $1,000 delivered. Usually comes in at 12 pounds, so you get it for about $80 per lb. I split this with 2 other friends, we all get a good deal. Freezes great as the fat content is so high.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

c fu wrote: November 8th, 2020, 9:26 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: November 8th, 2020, 5:06 pm IMO one of the best cuts of A5 is lifter (rib cap). It's inexpensive and spectacularly good, and has less innate fat than ribeye or strip, so it has a fantastic texture.
Yeah it’s a different cut but people call it rib cap as well. I think ribeye cap is a better description to the steak ppl are talking about that’s spiral cut from the top of the ribeye. Anyways the lifter is a superb cut for wagyu, IMO. It’s typically thin sliced for shabu shabu but I like to grill it as a whole and slice thin. Ribeye cap wagyu would be way fatty most likely.

Victor Hong

#17 Post by Victor Hong »

Stephen Faulkner wrote: November 8th, 2020, 2:33 pm Not being judgmental, but why? Sounds like a lot of finagling just to make it worthwhile. In a similar vein, I stopped ordering octopus at restaurants a long time ago after learning more about them.
They are very smart creatures, who know they are about to perish. You should see them try to escape from restaurant holding tanks, as they watch nearby fish getting grabbed for slaughter.

I too have stopped eating octopus, and really all other seafood.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#18 Post by Victor Hong »

robert creth wrote: November 7th, 2020, 8:18 pm I should have known better but I was bored with my cooking and took a shot. $175 for two good sized steaks. I only cooked one. Simply seared with nothing but some sea salt. It has been awhile since I have been so disappointed. It is a slab of beef fat. It is like eating fresh tallow. I hated it. Fortunately I didn’t open anything grand but finished an open bottle of De Negoce #17 which had the acid to break through. Not my thing at all. I feel like I disrespected the animal. Ashamed that I participated. I makes me look at my food intake.
Go full-bore decadent. Grind each steak into hamburger, and grill it down to one mini-slider, and serve with ketchup.
WineHunter.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by c fu »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: November 9th, 2020, 4:04 am
c fu wrote: November 8th, 2020, 9:26 pm
Yeah it’s a different cut but people call it rib cap as well. I think ribeye cap is a better description to the steak ppl are talking about that’s spiral cut from the top of the ribeye. Anyways the lifter is a superb cut for wagyu, IMO. It’s typically thin sliced for shabu shabu but I like to grill it as a whole and slice thin. Ribeye cap wagyu would be way fatty most likely.
yeah i've been buying it at wholesale for the last 2 years, surprised it took this long to really penetrate into the market. Super SUPER cheap at wholesale.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Mark Y »

Peter Hirsch wrote: November 9th, 2020, 3:16 am Agree with most who say that the cooking method really matters. A5 Wagyu is an amazing product, but if you take a 1.5" thick ribeye, toss it on the grill, wait until it gets to medium rare and eat, it's gonna be terrible.
+1000
Cooking an A5 waygu like a regular steak is like taking a stick of butter, scooping a spoonful into your mouth and wondering why butter is terrible.
it's not, it's just not intended to be consumed that way..
Y.e.

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by mike pobega »

Curious, where did anyone here say they cooked an A5 as a 'regular steak'?
I certainly did mine in the correct way and that steak fed 3 people.
5 ounces each. It was tasty but the Waygu I had the week before was better for 1/4 price.
Last edited by mike pobega on November 9th, 2020, 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Troy Stark »

Most Americans have no idea how to cook or serve Waygu. Think of it more like Sushi (you wouldn't eat an entire slab of raw tuna, would you?) and you'll go a long way toward figuring out how to enjoy it properly.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Mark Y »

mike pobega wrote: November 9th, 2020, 10:22 am Curious, where did anyone here say they cooked an A5 as a 'regular steak'?
Ahm.. the OP of this thread? when he said.. he cooked 1 of 2 steaks, and it was a "slab" of beef fat..

"$175 for two good sized steaks. I only cooked one. Simply seared with nothing but some sea salt. It has been awhile since I have been so disappointed. It is a slab of beef fat."
Y.e.

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by robert creth »

As the OP, let me clarify. I let this “steak” come to room temp, cut into 1 inch strips, Seasoned with sea salt, seared each piece to a bit over medium rare. Did not try approach like regular steak. I was only able to get down one piece.

And Victor, I doubt if there’s enough meat to make more than a slider.

Victor Hong

#25 Post by Victor Hong »

White Castle Waygu!
WineHunter.

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by mike pobega »

I actually use this for such applications. Pretty awesome.
Amabito No Moshio (Ancient Japanese Sea Salt)
Attachments
salt.jpg

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Mark Y wrote: November 9th, 2020, 10:21 am
Peter Hirsch wrote: November 9th, 2020, 3:16 am Agree with most who say that the cooking method really matters. A5 Wagyu is an amazing product, but if you take a 1.5" thick ribeye, toss it on the grill, wait until it gets to medium rare and eat, it's gonna be terrible.
+1000
Cooking an A5 waygu like a regular steak is like taking a stick of butter, scooping a spoonful into your mouth and wondering why butter is terrible.
it's not, it's just not intended to be consumed that way..
If it's Bordier demi-sel, I might have to challenge this assertion. If we're talking the Roscoff, I have to vigorously disagree!

I'm on record as agreeing with the OP - I'm just not a big fan of super-fatty steaks, even if it's cut down into strips and seared off. Have been fortunate to try it several times, including legit A5 Kobe and Hokkaido Snow, and if I got invited to another tasting, I'd manage to choke it down with a smile :D I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla, eh?
Instagram at @akgrill

M. Meer

#28 Post by M. Meer »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: November 8th, 2020, 7:41 am I like making a5 with reverse sear.
Reverse sear, slice, and finish it on a hot griddle alongside whole shiitake mushrooms. As a finale, use rendered fat to make kimchi fried rice.
All of the wines in my cellar are underrated. Everything that is not is overrated.
[snort.gif]
Mar.kus

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#29 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

My usual technique is indirect heat on the egg with a drip pan, quick sear of both sides at high heat, then slice and resear.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Mark Y »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: November 9th, 2020, 11:42 am If it's Bordier demi-sel, I might have to challenge this assertion. If we're talking the Roscoff, I have to vigorously disagree!
[rofl.gif]
Y.e.

Victor Hong

#31 Post by Victor Hong »

If somebody were to shave very fine layers of frozen standard beef filet and fat, and alternately bind them together with gelatin (like gyro meat), would the product be able to fool a diner?
WineHunter.

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by gene keenan »

When I was working for Grateful Dead we would get A5 smuggled in. We would only serve around 2 ounces at a time. Any more than that and it was a bummer. I was at my Costco today and they had the frozen A5 for $99/pound (which is what I see it for at my local Japanese fish market). I was remarking with my friends that two of these steaks would be enough for at least 10-12 people.
Attachments
6884C69B-F57F-4024-9585-0EE78874C895.jpeg
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by gene keenan »

Btw, these were the least fatty of all of the steaks. The fattier ones just wouldn’t photograph on my crap phone.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Betty C »

Many years ago, I made the mistake of eating an 8oz A5 from Japan. Afterward, I felt like I just ate a stick of butter and my stomach was very unhappy. That turned me off to wagyu for a long time and now I prefer it served as nigiri. That’s about the right serving size for me.

My other epicurean friend loved wagyu until I made him some Flannery. He still enjoys wagyu but prefers the more robust beefiness of a dry aged steak.
Ch00 (pronounced “cancel”)

“Woke White” - M Hudson

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#35 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I love A5 but it's not something you can eat that often. I much prefer american wagyu to dry aged prime beef.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Mattstolz »

Stephen Faulkner wrote: November 8th, 2020, 2:33 pm Not being judgmental, but why? Sounds like a lot of finagling just to make it worthwhile. In a similar vein, I stopped ordering octopus at restaurants a long time ago after learning more about them.
I think im with you. just give me a good piece of well marbled dry aged prime and im happy.

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Andrew K. »

The problem with Prime is that the USDA expanded the criteria to make more available at the higher price point which just drove down the quality. A lot of the Prime I see at Costco these days is just high quality Choice. Nothing like the best Prime that you get at a top end steakhouse.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Alan Rath »

Robert, I’m with you. I’ve had some preps that were impressive, notably braised short ribs, but on the steak front I much prefer a good prime. Frankly, give me a Flannery hanger and I’m in my happy steak place.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Ramon C »

PSA for those in NYC area, Eataly (23rd/6th) has 30% off on A5 until tomorrow.

Am not into it as most are here, but scored a piece anyway as I was already at the store doing some shopping. $89/lb for my NY strip.

Will likely cut into pieces and throw into hot cast iron.

30058B3B-640D-43D6-9341-695196A2BAD9.jpeg
@brera

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Jay Miller »

Brian Tuite wrote: November 8th, 2020, 7:16 am This beef isn’t a toss a steak on the plate and dig in thing. It’s best consumed in small quantities, sliced fairly thin, like as an appetizer/finger food. A little goes a real long way.
+1

When I buy one of those A5 Miyazaki ribeye steaks I divide it in 3 parts and freeze 2 of them. 1/3 of a steak is more than enough for 2 people
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by M.Kaplan »

Or, you can always sous vide it. [barf1.gif]
10189D20-3A34-477D-9E70-FEAC21466C8A.jpeg
Sous Vide is French for “how to ruin steak.”
---Mark

Marcus Dean

#42 Post by Marcus Dean »

M.Kaplan wrote: November 25th, 2020, 4:17 pm Or, you can always sous vide it. [barf1.gif]

LOL, seared in the microwave [truce.gif]

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

135 C to give it that perfect color!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Brian Tuite »

Marcus Dean wrote: November 25th, 2020, 4:26 pm
M.Kaplan wrote: November 25th, 2020, 4:17 pm Or, you can always sous vide it. [barf1.gif]

LOL, seared in the microwave [truce.gif]
[rofl.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Victor Hong

#45 Post by Victor Hong »

Ask Randy Bowman on microwave searing......and smoking.
WineHunter.

Christine Huang

#46 Post by Christine Huang »

Last year, some cousins and I went in on a whole A5 Ribeye from Costco and I broke it down. It was wonderful! However, even with 3 families plus some in-laws, we barely made it through a few of the steaks. I did several different preparations, and it was all cut into very small pieces that we tried with different salts, soy sauces, and dipping sauces.

Our very favorite was the ribeye cap, which I was able to cold smoke in the BGE as it was frigid outside, and then seared. Favorite way to eat them were with aged soy sauce or Malden with a squeeze of fresh Yuzu.
Attachments
FE0BDB53-5078-4984-ABAF-6FA7D4D86A9E.jpeg
C9DB555C-F498-491B-AF5F-03FB117F1076.MOV
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
45EF7940-998A-416E-A85B-D409FF8B2C5C.jpeg
F7636FC4-091D-4690-A5D4-E11DE9B42296.jpeg
5FE67CAF-3FE5-47B3-85CF-A01F60A16E7F.jpeg
A567B302-AC01-46DA-BF83-A5828ABC85A3.jpeg

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by M.Kaplan »

Mark Y wrote: November 9th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote: November 9th, 2020, 11:42 am If it's Bordier demi-sel, I might have to challenge this assertion. If we're talking the Roscoff, I have to vigorously disagree!
[rofl.gif]
You mean this? Currently in stock at Epicurus in Los Angeles. Yum.
4E54BE60-ED22-4C9F-9748-60FCAB6029D6.jpeg
---Mark

DonnaM
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by DonnaM »

Bordier! Envious, party of one, your table is available!! I adore this stuff and have been unable to find it in the States, either locally or by mail order. However, I just this minute realized that I know someone who lives in Los Angeles . . . perhaps she can be persuaded (or bribed) to overnight me some frozen butter. Hmmmm.
M u r 6 @ c h

J. D'Antonio

#49 Post by J. D'Antonio »

I'm fortunate that my local cheesemonger brings in wheels of Echire butter and they'll just cut you slabs of however much you want. It's fantastic stuff.
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#50 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

We bought bordier at Harrods food hall and had it with scones throughout our London trip

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”