Mashed Potatoes

I have a couple recipes I really like. One came from a now-shuttered Dallas restaurant. They gave me a list of ingredients. You have to do the measurements yourself:

I just made Jacques Pepin’s recipe with Yukon Gold and garlic—amazing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/19172_jacques_pepin_garlic_mashed_potatoes%3famp

How do you do your spuds?

These have been my favorite since I ate them at Jamin in 1983. The only better that I’ve eaten have been these with white truffles shaved on top at the original L’Atelier on Rue Montalembert.

At the dear departed La Table de Joël Robuchon, white gloved employees would roam the dining room with copper pots of mashed potatoes, continually refilling patrons plates.

I had some potatoes that needed to be used (thanks Covid over shopping!), so I decided to try the Modernist Cuisine dairy free potato puree (from their website, not the book. I don’t have a centrifuge…yet).

YUCK!

First off, it too WAY too long (duh). You boil the potatoes, then you blend them, add diastatic malt powder, then sous vide that for 30 minutes.

1. My VitaMix started smelling during blending- since there was no liquid, I had to keep stopping and moving things around. It was a mess.
  2. Scooping that goop into the vac bag took way too long.

They tasted ok before the sous vide. But, I guess the diastatic malt powder did WAY too good of a job breaking down the starches because when they were done, they were SO sweet I could barely eat them. I had to douse them with hot sauce to cover up the sweetness. I don’t know what I’m going to do with the rest of them. I hate waste and I don’t want to throw them away, but I can’t eat them like they are now. [bleh.gif]

Here’s the recipe in case you have an afternoon to waste.

compost?

I guess it’s a Texas thing but canned milk is a must.