MUNSTER RÖSTI

Here comes a variation of the Swiss classic, perfect for autumn. Serve together with a fresh salad.

Fair to say you need a good pan, non-stick or an old iron pan. A steel pan doesn’t work. RÖSTI is a rustic and elegant side dish at the same time. I recommend to cook it more often and I promise your guests will be surprised and delighted. Guests? After COVID-19 of course. Also a good side dish to absorb any kind of sauce. Use waxy potatoes.

Traditionally made with pre-cooked potatoes the day before, but my version works better for me, as the starch in the fresh grated potatoes hold everything together.

Finally I would recommend to start the TV and look for Neflix fireplace. You will think you are in a chalet in the Swiss Alpes. haha

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=6149

Ro9.jpg

love making Rösti! nice tips in the recipe

You don’t squeeze water out? Doesn’t that make it mushy?

when I make Rösti I soak the potatoes, lift them out of the water and then decant the water off the potato starch and add the starch back to the potatoes and toss with some melted butter

No, but I also don’t use the water which is in a bottom of the form.

P.S. here is the Netflix fireplace

It’s like fancy smothered and covered hash browns! LOL

Yummy though.

“Spare him his life from this Munster Rösti.”

Mods, please move to the Bad Puns thread.

“Very good instructions and timings. I made this yesterday with a few variations and was very good.
Never even contemplated plate flipping a rosti in all my years and must admit thought it may fall apart as I lifted the pan off. No fear though, it was perfect and easy.”

Mike Humphreys from London

So you see, its not that complicated. My recommendation, when you flip the Rösti make it with speed and don’t think you could fail.

P.S. and don’t worry about the Munster cheese, I know its a special cheese and not such easy available. Use feta cheese instead or any other cheese you like and can melt easily. Use a Reblochon for example.