Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#51 Post by George Hejna »

Doing baguettes today. Will report back.

George

D Zurcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#52 Post by D Zurcher »

Ours is arriving today-not sure what to try first. We'll probably take a run at something this weekend. It might take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to it!
DanZ

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Steamed & roasted whole cauliflower with tahini, dukkah & Aleppo peppers in Anova Precision Oven

356°F/100% steam x 25m; 482°F/0% steam x 20m (rotate a couple of times while roasting), finish with salt, EVOO, tahini, dukkah, Aleppo pepper flakes (a bit of lemon juice would be nice too)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Christine Huang

#54 Post by Christine Huang »

I’ve had mine for a couple weeks now. The preset on the app for Sourdough doesn’t work for me. The loaf comes out almost burnt. There’s also no prolonged preheat mode, which is needed. I asked Scott if he could add it to the preset.

I’ve been testing different loaves at different temp combinations. Some have worked beautifully and some haven’t. I’m still on the learning curve.

I mist the loaves heavily before I put them in, even with the 100% Steam function on. The fan sets the crust too quickly without it and there’s no way to disengage the fan while Steam is on. That said, the crust on the Anova bread is super blistery and yet nicely thin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Wings & football, of course (one of my teams lost, and the DVR holds the secret of the other…).

I tried Anova’s APO recipe, two different ways:
1. Only 2 hours air drying in the fridge, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly, spraying on a light coating of avocado oil
2. 24 hours air drying, and skipped the oil

Didn't have a rack, so just put them on the Anova sheet pan and flippd half way. Finished with 50:50 Frank’s Red Hot:butter sauce.

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/9 ... IEEsZdDXvE

Obviously inspired by Kenji:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the ... izers.html

Both were great (better than 99.5% of restaurant Buffalo wings!), but largely indistinguishable from each other. Whether the oil helped crisp the 2 hr air dried ones, I don’t know. Didn’t seem any greasier (most of the oil rendered to the corner of my warped Anova pan lol).

In the future, I'll skip the oil. Makes less of a mess in the oven. Yeah, could have done this in the regular oven (no steam involved), but at least this little guy heats up faster.
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

The Anova Precision Oven is a GRILLED CHEESE MACHINE!

1) 10 min to warm up to 482°F/0%/Top+Rear & Fan (need to use app to do this)

2) While warming up, make your favorite cheesy sandwich and spread a very thin (as thin as you can get it) layer of Hellman's mayonnaise on the exteriors of the sandwich (I'm sure you could use butter if you prefer)

3) 6-7 min on Anova rack on level 2 (counting from top), with sheet pan below to catch any drips (there weren’t any)

4) Flip & rotate after 4 min

5) Rotate if needed to even out the toasting (the portion closest to the fan may brown faster)

6) ENJOY! Can’t get a better grilled cheese in a pan.

Elapsed time: 17 min from start to eating.
Cheers,
/<evin

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Brandon R »

Both the sandwich and wings look great, Kevin. But...I have to ask (at least for the grilled cheese...wings I can see being better): WHY? I can have a great grilled cheese in a pan in about 10 minutes, max. Is it more about the tinkering and hobby of it? I'm truly seeking to understand.
B. Redman

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Brandon R wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:41 am Both the sandwich and wings look great, Kevin. But...I have to ask (at least for the grilled cheese...wings I can see being better): WHY? I can have a great grilled cheese in a pan in about 10 minutes, max. Is it more about the tinkering and hobby of it? I'm truly seeking to understand.
This was better than any grilled cheese I've ever made in my life. It was so good, I had 2 more for dinner lol. And I didn't have anything to clean up. YMMV
Cheers,
/<evin

Jason Crawford

#59 Post by Jason Crawford »

I finished a rather large pork shoulder 6 hrs sooner than I expected last weekend and used the oven to rest/hold the meat until serving time. Just wrapped it up in butcher paper and set 140 degrees/rear. This resulted in the best pulled pork I've tasted. No more worrying about timing with bbq!

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Joe Chanley »

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote: October 27th, 2020, 1:29 pm
Brandon R wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:41 am Both the sandwich and wings look great, Kevin. But...I have to ask (at least for the grilled cheese...wings I can see being better): WHY? I can have a great grilled cheese in a pan in about 10 minutes, max. Is it more about the tinkering and hobby of it? I'm truly seeking to understand.
This was better than any grilled cheese I've ever made in my life. It was so good, I had 2 more for dinner lol. And I didn't have anything to clean up. YMMV
Didn't the mayo get on the rack?

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Joe Chanley wrote: October 28th, 2020, 5:30 am
Didn't the mayo get on the rack?
Very, very little mayo, it basically vaporizes or is absorbed by the bread.

Sous viding to caramelize some heavy cream in the APO now. Saves 20 minutes vs heating up the water bath, even with my Joule, which is twice as fast as an Anova. (And someone posted on Facebook that it uses only ~10% more energy than a immersion circulator in an insulated water bath.)
Cheers,
/<evin

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#62 Post by Scott Brunson »

#DukesMayonaise [wink.gif] [whistle.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Scott Brunson wrote: October 28th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Boston is Hellman's country!
Cheers,
/<evin

Mel Hill

#64 Post by Mel Hill »

Hellman's is Best!

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#65 Post by Scott Brunson »

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote: October 28th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Scott Brunson wrote: October 28th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Boston is Hellman's country!
I know
I love Hellman’s too. I usually have both in house. [cheers.gif]

Following this thread closely
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

D Zurcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#66 Post by D Zurcher »

I finally used the Anova yesterday-decided to try the rib recipe. Please note-while we sous vide many things I have never thought sous viding ribs was a good idea and I have never tried it. I've always done the 3-2-1 method on the Big Green Egg. Looking at the Anova recipe it looked easy and was worth trying.

I dusted the ribs the day before with a creole rub and left in the frig overnight.

Yes-it was easy-using the app I simply tapped the button to start the cook- the app set up to the oven to the correct specifics-I didn't touch it for 10 hours:
ribs 1 start.jpeg
At the 10 hour mark I pulled them out to let them dry for about 15 minutes before using the broiler. There is an option to sear them on the grill or use the broiler-I decided to just using the Anova oven for the whole thing to see how it turned out.
ribs 2 10 hours.jpeg
ribs 3 pre broil.jpeg
The ribs did leave a lot of juice in the pan-I used this to baste the ribs before broiling:
ribs 4 juice.jpeg
The Anova app prompts you to start stage 2-broil for 5 minutes-I just hit tapped the button and the oven did the rest:
ribs 5 broiling.jpeg
I filled up the water tank before this cook-I didn't fill it all the way to the max line. It was at 100% humidity for 10 hours-I was surprised how little water was used:
ribs 6 water tank.jpeg
Here are the ribs after 5 minutes under the broiler, then cut, then on the plate:
ribs 7 post broil.jpeg
ribs 8 cutting board.jpeg
ribs 9 plate.jpeg
So-the result? I will say they were as tender and juicy, likely far more than my smoker method. The meat fell right off the bone. That said they were missing the smokiness that we like. They also lacked the dry rub flavor-it got muted with the 10 hours @ 100% humidity. We don't sauce our ribs which this recipe may be better for those that do. I think the process needs some adjustments for next time.

I'm thinking next time I'll start them on the egg for about 60 minutes to get the smoke flavor then put them in the Anova oven. I'd also dust them again with rub prior to broiling.

The oven itself worked perfectly and very easily. Ribs likely wasn't the best recipe to try first, and may not be the best recipe for this oven-especially for folks who are used to the low and slow 6 hour smoker method.

I'll try a few other things in the coming weeks.
DanZ

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by gene keenan »

Arrived on Sunday and finally set it up today. Zero connectivity issues. Fans don't make any weird noise like I have read about on the Reddit group. Finished the fan burn in period and now ready to cook.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: August 19th, 2020, 7:17 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote: August 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Siun o'Connell wrote: August 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm

A lot of “serious home chefs” don’t require or use a lot of fancy new options - just sayin.’ Use whatever you like or need to cook as you want, but let’s not make “serious” equal “expensive new tools”
Like serious wine lovers who don’t have a wine cellar?
I thought you were being a bit tongue in cheek? more razzing.
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

If you are having trouble maintaining a low temp when proofing, try turning the fan off, since it seems to add heat to the oven (more details on the Reddit combi board). Obviously, can't do with steam, which requires the rear heater with fan on high.
Cheers,
/<evin

Robert M yers

#70 Post by Robert M yers »

Are there special pans to go in the oven? My wife just ordered one and is asking me how to get the perforated roaster pan.

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by gene keenan »

I did two side by side roast chickens (Mary's Heritage birds) the other day using the Zuni method. Sous Vide for about 2.5 hours @150 followed by browning for about 15 minutes at 482. I'd say they were the best roast chickens ever. The juiciness of the chicken while eating was like wringing out a wet sponge it was that juicy.

Spatchcocking the chicken in the future would likely make for a greater area of the chicken being caramelized.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Robert M yers wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:12 pm Are there special pans to go in the oven? My wife just ordered one and is asking me how to get the perforated roaster pan.
The Anova perforated pan that appears in some of their videos is not available yet (don't ask me why).

Unfortunately, the 2 racks and 1 sheet pan that come with the oven are crap. The racks can expand when heated and become stuck in the oven until cooled, whereas the pan commonly warps a much as 1" when heated (which is inconvenient and potentially dangerous).

A traditional jelly roll pan should just fit in the oven on a rack, and certainly a quarter sheet pan. For some reason, they made the decision to make the interior size in between a 1/2 sheet and a jelly roll (would have been nice to slide a sheet pan into the racking grooves like in a professional combi oven). I recently purchased these, which others have confirmed fit and don't warp (the cookie rack fits in the wall groves), but which I haven't tried yet. I wanted stainless instead of the aluminum used by most of the well-known sheet pan producers so I could just put them in a dishwasher.

Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

gene keenan wrote: November 9th, 2020, 12:13 pm I did two side by side roast chickens (Mary's Heritage birds) the other day using the Zuni method. Sous Vide for about 2.5 hours @150 followed by browning for about 15 minutes at 482. I'd say they were the best roast chickens ever. The juiciness of the chicken while eating was like wringing out a wet sponge it was that juicy.

Spatchcocking the chicken in the future would likely make for a greater area of the chicken being caramelized.
What's the Zuni method?
Cheers,
/<evin

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by scamhi »

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote: November 10th, 2020, 3:18 am
gene keenan wrote: November 9th, 2020, 12:13 pm I did two side by side roast chickens (Mary's Heritage birds) the other day using the Zuni method. Sous Vide for about 2.5 hours @150 followed by browning for about 15 minutes at 482. I'd say they were the best roast chickens ever. The juiciness of the chicken while eating was like wringing out a wet sponge it was that juicy.

What's the Zuni method?
the Zuni method is a dry brine- kosher salt and leave unwrapped in a refrigerator for 2-3 days before roasting.
Full recipe here https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... d-56389456
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Joe Chanley »

scamhi wrote: November 10th, 2020, 6:14 am

What's the Zuni method?
the Zuni method is a dry brine- kosher salt and leave unwrapped in a refrigerator for 2-3 days before roasting.
Right, but how does that translate to SV? I'd love to know more details.

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by gene keenan »

Joe Chanley wrote: November 10th, 2020, 6:18 am

What's the Zuni method?
For the oven it is a "dry sous vide" meaning the chicken is not in a bag. It cooks slowly and the skin stays dry which it wouldn't using the traditional water bath sous vide method. At the end of the sous vide time the chickens skin is very taut and dry so when you switch to browning the skin comes out shatteringly crisp. So you get the benefit of sous vide without the meat bathing in its own juices as it loses water thus maintaining a dry skin.

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Joe Chanley »

gene keenan wrote: November 10th, 2020, 8:31 am
Joe Chanley wrote: November 10th, 2020, 6:18 am

For the oven it is a "dry sous vide" meaning the chicken is not in a bag. It cooks slowly and the skin stays dry which it wouldn't using the traditional water bath sous vide method. At the end of the sous vide time the chickens skin is very taut and dry so when you switch to browning the skin comes out shatteringly crisp. So you get the benefit of sous vide without the meat bathing in its own juices as it loses water thus maintaining a dry skin.
gracias

Robert M yers

#78 Post by Robert M yers »

Thanks for the pan info Kevin.

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by gene keenan »

What's the Zuni method?
Unless you are going with a very small bird (e.g. less than 3 pounds) I'd highly recommend 2 days of dry brine for optimal results.

L e e H olland
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#80 Post by L e e H olland »

Got my oven in last week. No connectivity issues, but mine does make loud vibration noises occasionally.

Agree with the Gene that roasted chicken comes out with the a firm, but very tender and juicy texture. Probably the best thing I have made.

The salmon with crispy skin recipe on the app works really well too. Think this will do a much better job of not concentrating unpleasant flavors in seafood than traditional sous vide.

Finished some tacos at 375 and 25% steam for about 5 minutes, which really gave the corn tortillas a nice texture.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#81 Post by Chris Freemott »

I've been using mine daily for a month. Love it. Haven't used my primary oven since this one landed.

Flaws? sure.

As noted above, the pans are crap. Mine warp rapidly and I've had stuff spill b/c of it. I've simply gone to my 1/4 sheets and parchment liners.

The temp 'button' (it's a touch-sensitive up/down section on the handle) is officially bi-polar. Hold your finger down and you can jump 70 degrees in less than a second..they need to tweak the sensitivity here

I've found the buttons also freeze. I've had to tap the on/off button or toggle between SV and non to get other buttons to respond. This is firmware fixable, I anticipate this is a non issue in a few weeks.

For the price and what it does, this is a hell of a nice device. I really enjoy re-heating food with 100% steam and holding it at a specific temp. Makes prep for me or the kids really easy as I tend to cook a lot of protein on Sunday to have ready for the 2-3 meals a day we do at home now due to covid and this is a wonderful tweak for chicken breasts for example while the rest of the meal is coming together.

The water usage is, as also noted above, staggeringly efficient. Hat Tip Anova

I've attempted to deyhdrate. That was a fail. But, that's on me. I didn't realize the door could remain open a crack as there is a soft-stop right before closure. Due to how well it seals, if you don't crack the oven, you'll wait forever to dry food out. I'll give this another chance in the near future.

$700.00 vs. what Miele and Gag want for something similar to this is a game changer for many kitchens.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Turkey roulade made with 2 deboned thighs, salt, herbs, transglutaminase, rolled in Saran, then vac packed, sous vide in APO 151°F/100% relative humidity x 5 hours, then unbagged and switched to 0% relative humidity x 1 hr, finally seared with Searzall torch.

The APO is a lot of fun, and fortunately mine is mostly operating correctly, but Anova isn't much of a manufacturer. The app isn't that good (you need it to control some funtions) and there's a legion of problems of varying degrees of severity (miinor annoyance to ship it back) being reported online. I've been mostly lucky I guess. It does have a 100 day return policy and a 2-year warranty. But unless you are the kind of person who lines up for the new Xbox, I'd wait for the second generation or for Breville to come out with a better one.
Cheers,
/<evin

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by George Hejna »

Outside of the IT issues that Chris points out I like it a lot.

I question the amount of water it uses. One would think to maintain 100% humidity at higher temps would take significant water.

Love when the pan warps. Sounds like a gunshot... [wow.gif]

George

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

George Hejna wrote: November 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm Outside of the IT issues that Chris points out I like it a lot.

I question the amount of water it uses. One would think to maintain 100% humidity at higher temps would take significant water.

George
I'm not sure it is actually hitting 100% humidity. I have a Thermoworks meter that is reading only 70%. Also, my external dry bulb probe read higher than the APO's wet bulb at 100%, which is consistent with it not being 100%.
Cheers,
/<evin

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by George Hejna »

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote: November 14th, 2020, 4:36 pm
George Hejna wrote: November 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm Outside of the IT issues that Chris points out I like it a lot.

George
I'm not sure it is actually hitting 100% humidity. I have a Thermoworks meter that is reading only 70%. Also, my external dry bulb probe read higher than the APO's wet bulb at 100%, which is consistent with it not being 100%.
That doesn't surprise me.

George

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

167°F/100%/SVM/Rear x 16 min gives a traditional 63/75-degree egg texture:

Cheers,
/<evin

D Zurcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#87 Post by D Zurcher »

We spatchcocked and roasted a chicken yesterday and I want to reheat the chicken later today. I'm not finding any specific reheating suggestions for the Anova oven. I'm thinking 70% humidity-250 degrees-10 minutes? Any thoughts on this?
DanZ

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#88 Post by Chris Freemott »

Dan
I’d certainly try that. With a caveat.
70% @150. No reason to take the bird past it’s over cooked threshold. You simply need it hot to eat.

For reference, I had a chunk of strip streak left. The next day I did 70% & 125. Took about 30-40 minutes. But. The results were a warm piece of rare steak.

D Zurcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#89 Post by D Zurcher »

Chris Freemott wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:30 pm Dan
I’d certainly try that. With a caveat.
70% @150. No reason to take the bird past it’s over cooked threshold. You simply need it hot to eat.

For reference, I had a chunk of strip streak left. The next day I did 70% & 125. Took about 30-40 minutes. But. The results were a warm piece of rare steak.
Thanks-that makes sense. But it will likely take 25-30 minutes to heat up at the lower temp I'm assuming? Easy enough....
DanZ

Robert M yers

#90 Post by Robert M yers »

Does anybody have any thoughts on reheating fried chicken?

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Robert M yers wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:09 pm Does anybody have any thoughts on reheating fried chicken?
Let it warm to room temp, then 350-400F/0% steam/Rear heat/full convection on a wire rack for 10-15min or until crisp.
Cheers,
/<evin

Robert M yers

#92 Post by Robert M yers »

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:47 pm
Robert M yers wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:09 pm Does anybody have any thoughts on reheating fried chicken?
Let it warm to room temp, then 350-400F/0% steam/Rear heat/full convection on a wire rack for 10-15min or until crisp.
Thanks Kevin, I was hoping you’d chime in!

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

French baguettes using a biga preferment, based on a recipe from Irish chef Patrick Ryan

464°F/100% steam/full convection x 8 min, then 464°F/0% steam/full convection for 15 min in Anova Precision Oven.
IMG_0922.jpg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0U8RdRdFDU

www.ilovecooking.ie/food-tv/baguettes-m ... rick-ryan/
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Crispy baby gold potatoes in APO
Cheers,
/<evin

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

I thought this oven was not ready for prime time?

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: December 30th, 2020, 5:32 pm I thought this oven was not ready for prime time?
Neither was AVENUE 5.
Cheers,
/<evin

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by John Webber »

I stumbled on this thread looking for sv ideas and am leaving to subscribe to Chef Steps and buy a $600 oven I never knew I needed (assuming it will fit where I have in mind). Damn you all to Hell! [snort.gif]

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

John Webber wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:55 am I stumbled on this thread looking for sv ideas and am leaving to subscribe to Chef Steps and buy a $600 oven I never knew I needed (assuming it will fit where I have in mind). Damn you all to Hell! [snort.gif]
Lol

We also have a group of APO owners on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CombiSteamOvenCooking/
Cheers,
/<evin

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#99 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I made Flannery hangers using reverse sear with 130F / 100% steam. Took 30 min to 124 internal and a quick sear and they were at least as good as they are with a conventional oven with much less time.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#100 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

It’s certainly faster using 100% steam but maybe if you want a better crust it’d be better to use 0% steam or at least less than 100%. I need to experiment.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”