Garlic bread

Anyone have a noteworthy garlic bread recipe or process?

Tonight I minced several cloves of garlic and lightly warmed the garlic in butter and oil in a small saucepan on the stove. Then I sliced baguettes in half lengthwise, and then into fourths, chopped some fresh parsley, spooned the butter mixture onto the open halves of baguette, sprinkled parsley and baked uncovered in a 350 degree oven for eight to ten minutes (until the garlic was starting to brown) and finished with the broiler for the last couple of minutes. Removed bread, sprinkled finishing salt on top, sliced the baguette fourths into slender pieces, and then devoured garlic bread while standing up at the counter. I might add red pepper flakes next time, to punch up it up.
image.jpg

pretty solid recipe. Maybe a touch of grated Parmesan as an option, but yours looks like a simple and delicious version.

I have a tendency to overdo things. Killer bread has been one of my favorites for years. Mix softened butter, mayonnaise, fresh minced garlic and fresh grated Parmesan cheese and let it sit in a bowl while preparing dinner. Slice the baguette in half. You have the option of partially cutting individual pieces before prep or cutting pieces after cooking. Schmear the butter/mayo/garlic/cheese on the baguette and cover lavishly with more fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle smoked paprika on top of the cheese for both color and flavor. Broil to bubbly brown when the entire house is permeated with the wonderful odor of garlic. Do not eat immediately unless you want to remove the skin on the roof of your mouth. Suggest big, no, huge reds to go with it.

P.S. People WILL stay 8 to 10 feet away from you unless they ate killer bread too.

Well done Randy! I thought you were going to post A picture of Texas Toast. :wink:

I loved Texas toast when I lived in Waco back in 64. Must be why I gravitated to killer bread. [cheers.gif]

Randy’s post reminds me of canapés my mother made 30, 40, 50 years ago. They were disgustingly delicious and very popular at parties. First, in a bowl mix Best Foods mayo, dried minced onion and Kraft Parmesan cheese and let sit for 20-30 minutes to let the onions soften. She used Pillsbury biscuits, I think, 8 to a tube. Cook the biscuits according to the directions, let cool, and cut in half. Place a spoonful of the mayo blend on each biscuit half and brown under the broiler. And, as Randy warned, let them cool for a minute or two before eating.

Both of those sound excellent, definitely going to try them.

I use a rustic bread that can stand up to the grill. Slice it, give it shower of oil, grill it, rub the warm bread with raw garlic and top with flaky sea salt.

A rustic loaf placed on the bread board and sliced 99% through, so it’s just held together by the lower crust. Butter and garlic mix applied liberally in the gaps. Wrapped in foil and baked for 15 minutes. Result is crispy on the outside, deliciously moist on the inside. I’d always assumed this was the default method!

A version I like is to add mozzarella. Melted mozzarella on garlic bread is delicious.

Mayo and garlic bread, yuck!

Epically good, but I’d double the cheese.

For the South Bay contingent - Mike’s Original By-the-Bucket used a similar recipe, adding sliced olives and scallions to the mix. Different cheese though :wink:

Your recipe is exactly how we make it.

If you care to take an additional step, I find the sweet garlic spread from the State Bird Provisions cookbook to be a great base for a compound butter spread

Make the garlic. Then create a 50-50 mixture with unsalted butter, add parsley, dehydrated onion, salt and pepper.

Spread this on your bread of choice and broil.

The sweet garlic is very popular in my kitchen and I use it in place of fresh garlic quite a bit. I make enough to fill some ice cube trays and then make small blocks from it.

Place garlic in a pot, fill with water, bring to a boil, drain off water & repeat 4 more times, starting with cold water each time. After the last blanch place immediately in a blender and blend with olive oil until smooth, cool & keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Chris, how does your sweet garlic spread compare to garlic confit? Have you ever compared? It seems like the final product would be very similar and as one that has never made either, the garlic confit appears easier to make and might be even more appealing. I have garlic confit on my agenda the next time I buy bulk garlic at Costco.

I make batches of garlic butter and freeze them because Marty & The Boys LOVE garlic bread:

Using an immersion blender or Food Processor, I throw in softened cultured butter, tons of garlic and as much fresh parsley as I can cram in there, stalks and all. I start blending, and drizzle in enough EVOO to get it all going. S&P to taste. The EVOO helps to make it more spreadable. Even with a ton of parsley in it, the flavor is not pronounced, but it gives it a nice lift. I then freeze these in tubs (old Talenti tubs work well) and pull as needed. Sometimes I sprinkle cheese on top, but it’s not needed. If I have any leftover roasted garlic, I throw it in there too.

Chris - I think it’s different than confit if we define the confit the same way. I make my confit in the oven…Bulb, oil, foil, heat…

If that’s how you do it, then I think you’ll find the roasted/confit is sweeter due to the caramelization that takes place. The State Bird model is closer to raw garlic w/o the sharpness.

For garlic confit, I get the pre-peeled garlic tub from Costco when it is sourced from CA and not China. I will trim off the root ends and toss a good 2 cups worth in a medium sized sauce pan. Lately I have been using almond oil from Costco to cover completely and then simmer on the lowest burner I have. Once the bubble stop forming, I let the oil cool to room temp and then strain the oil first through a sieve and then cheese cloth.

I have lots of garlic confit and garlic infused oil. Win-win.

1. Also some italian seasoning

I also like the crusty exterior and moist on the inside. What seems to work for me is I place the loaf haves face up in a 450° oven for about four minutes. I then flip the bread face down put back in the oven for another eight minutes. The crust comes out perfect (IMHO)