In praise of leftovers

We all have experienced the wine that we did not finish in one sitting transforming into something special as it sits in “leftover” status for a day or few. This thread is not about wine, but about food dishes that do this same thing. I had some leftover basil pesto and pasta that sat in the refrigerator for a couple of days. I think the rest gave the basil ingredients a chance to work out their differences and also be absorbed by the pasta. Very delicious. Do you have dishes that you find this happening?

Every stew or stew like concoction

I make cog au vin a day ahead so that it can sit overnight.

Beef curry is better on day two but it rarely lasts.

Thought this was a thread about the HBO show the Leftovers. Leaving now

We regular use leftover oven roasted potatoes to make a frittata

I like leftover meatloaf and leftover baked ziti . Also linguini with clam sauce (like how the pasta absorbs the sauce ).

I find that my cogs tend to seize up if I put them in the fridge.

Not so much about what’s better the next day (I agree about curries, stews, soups etc.), but my longtime breakfast go-to is the previous night’s leftover vegetables with an egg on top. Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts…it all works.

A great Key lime pie is even better the next day, though in my family of four we generally only got that when my mom made two pies. A great Key lime pie means that it is made correctly with juice from fresh Key limes, a pastry crust, and topped with meringue, not the graham cracker crust monstrosity which obscures the delicate tartness and nuance of fresh Key limes.

Chili!

Beef stew is better leftover, probably best after being frozen (and unfrozen).

I just read this out loud to my wife, who is a bonafide fanatic of key lime pie. Her response to your point on not using the graham cracker crust was, “that’s CORRECT!” [cheers.gif]

I commend her for her discernment and refinement. I’ve researched the origins of Key lime pie and there seems to be no definitive answer to the question of whether a pastry or graham cracker crust is the original (though my grandmother in Miami Beach was using a pastry crust no later than the late 1930s or early 1940s). What is certain is which one is superior.

leftover salt potatoes are great for home fries

I do the same with braised brisket.

Interesting, I’ve had it, I like it, but don’t seek it out. I’ve had it with both crusts. Is the graham cracker vs pastry a regional thing or personal thing, traditional? Just don’t know.

Most casserole dishes improve daily. Western Meal in One and Tamale Pie come to mind. Lasagna, chili, pasta sauces and BBQ beef too. Are you old enough to remember the BBQ beef in the 50’s, 60’s at the drive ins along the highways? The BBQ beef was in a pot that looked like a stainless steel crock pot. The BBQ beef was near black from cooking for weeks on end. I had a BBQ sandwich at every Hwy 80 and Hwy 10 roadside diner and drive in travelling back and forth from military bases and family.

We frequently do a simple angel hair pasta with sweated onions and garlic, fresh tomatoes, parsley, and Parmesan. I like to take the leftovers and make an egg “strata” with the pasta as the main stuffing. We usually add another veggie too. It’s always very tasty.