Buying a gas grill: propane vs. hard-lining to my home's natural gas?

Hello, Food Experts. I have a Weber kettle and use it quite a bit but, admittedly, I find myself avoiding grilling due to the time and process of loading up the chimney, starting the charcoal, waiting for it to get going, etc. etc. As such, I’d like to buy a gas grill for quick needs. I know, I know, it’ll never replace charcoal, so I’m keeping the Weber too. However, for those times when I’d like to just click and get it preheating for a quick cook, I’d really like to have one. So, a two-part question:

1.) Are there performance differences when it comes to propane versus natural gas? My neighbor is a general contractor and told me he’d hard-line it into my home natural gas lickety-split. However, do I want that? For convenience, absolutely. However, I am clueless when it comes to performance. Is there a significant difference in how hot natural gas burns versus propane (via tanks)? Are there any other reasons for or against that I’m not considering?

2.) Product recommendations, please. I don’t want a HUGE grill…just something with enough heat capability to get the job done. I’m not a big smoker either, so having a smoker box / capabilities isn’t necessary. If I want to, I can smoke using chips on the Weber.

TIA

Propane provides more Btu’s vs natural gas. Just keep a spare tank or two around. I do like being able to move our grill out of the way, fixed line makes that harder.

Brandon, I’m admittedly a lazy griller. I have a BGE but mostly use our gas grill, which is connected to our home’s natural gas line. It’s easy and it’s cheap. My two cents…tie in your line.

If running the line is reasonably cheap I would go that route. I would not worry about any performance difference as I have used both many time and noticed no real difference. The grill itself will make a much larger difference in grill quality than the type of gas used. If you go propane buy two empty tanks and keep one full as a hot spare. They always run out when cooking. Never use those “swap out rack” as those tanks are the worst of the lot. Just be sure to know where your nearest place is that actually fills a tank and does not only do the swap out.

On brands, Weber is always a great choice. I have a Saber and will buy that same brand when I buy another grill which is soon. No flare ups, great temps.

My $0.02 is that this is a no-brainer for connecting to your natural gas stub.

Similar to others above, I’ve owned both propane and natural gas grills (including the same grill that I eventually converted from propane to natural gas) and have never noticed any perceptible difference in terms of heat/performance between natural gas and propane. I’ve heard/read that propane is better/cleaner and performs better, but my suspicion is that that is when the tank is brand new and pushing the propane out hard as what I’ve seen in my experiences is that once the tank starts getting low, the output from your grill/heater/fire pit etc starts waning. Conversely, on my natural gas plumbed grills, I have never found myself needing more heat or looking for better performance…as you allude in the OP, when I’m grilling on the grill (versus using my BGE) I just want to fire it up, have it ready quickly and get to grilling…a natural gas fed grill can absolutely do that. Another benefit is that sometimes I want to preheat the grill to get it really screaming hot for a cook and I can just go outside, fire it up and walk away for 20 minutes for it to thoroughly preheat and I don’t have to worry about how much propane I just chewed through and/or if I’ll then have enough for my cook. Lastly, not having to deal with propane tanks is a godsend…even if you have multiple tanks it is IMO a PITA to swap out, go refill, make sure you have enough before your next party etc and natural gas completely solves for that.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. Having both a charcoal grill/smoker and a gas grill to work with is very handy.

Had them both and there is almost no difference. I have a propane grill now but had gas in the past at a couple of houses. I would rather have gas, assuming it was relatively cheap to run, than deal with tanks. I never needed to move a grill around but if you do then propane is the way to go. Running out of propane in the middle of grilling sucks. Doesn’t happen very often but if you grill enough, it likely will.

My parents had the natural gas tied into the line. Super convenient and it lasted a long time. I had propane and it worked well too, tanks are a bit of a pain.
Does anyone know if cold effects propane? I think propane backpacking stoves are affected by cold.

Have had both, but would never go back to propane after getting our new Weber hooked up to our NG line. It is just so convenient to flip a switch and have flames. I have a specific area for this grill, so no need to move it.

Performance difference is noted being to propane’s advantage, but I suspect the difference is very minimal. The Weber gets to 700+ with NG.
Waiting for Ooni to come out with the NG conversion for the Koda 16 this summer, so I can get someone to install a spliter on the same line.
Lots of good grills these days, unless you want to go high-end I’m a big fan of Weber (Genesis or Summit lines), as the warranty & specifically their service on the warranty are without peer.

I would love to hear elaboration on this. I have done both ways and noticed zero diff, but I may just not have paid attention

Natural gas. Lynx with trident burners. Or Artisan pro. To avoid fire alarms and despite a commercial hood inside, we use the grill for our cast iron / carbon steel pans to get a sear, fry, etc. Rarely do I ever just throw something on the grill anymore.

I agree with most of the other comments. I converted to natural gas a couple of years ago, and I noticed no difference in the quality of the heat. It is so much more convenient, not having to deal with the tank refills, or running out of gas in the middle of cooking. I have a Weber Genesis three burner, and it is on wheels. Although I don’t move it much it is possible, and it comes with about ten feet of hose. So, it can be moved for cleaning, or what ever reason you might have. They don’t recommend simply getting a hose extension for a permanent relocation.

Scott, I am a lazy typist but here are some reasons

I doubt it makes any difference in the simple act of delivering gas to the burners. The re-used tanks are generally old tanks, purged, and then re-painted. People tend to take the worst tank they own to a swap place. Valves are often oxidized looking and who know how rusty beneath the pain the tank actually is. You pay for a full refill on swap and I often simply top my tank off which is cheap and easy with an owned tank. In the long run pretty sure it is cheaper but the main reason for me is I want to unsure the tank is in very good shape. That is probably only important to me as I have 20 yr old tanks that look nearly brand new.

Another vote to wire in…east decision for us as we built a dedicated area for our grill. Gets to 700+ with no issues.

You want the gas line. Propane …multiple tanks so you never run out, cost, returns, dealing with the ugliness of them… You want the gas line.

Natural gas. I have never used a tank and don’t want to start.

You will hate going to refill those tanks and more than once you will run out, even with a spare. Not worth the hassle.

propane tanks can be refilled for 12 years from manufacturer. After 12 years, they can be exchanged.
Swap out rack tanks are not full, taking your tank to a refill center (U-Haul) will be cheaper and you will get a full tank for less than a “rack” tank. Plus, you get to meet and talk to the guy who breathes in propane for a living! they are usually a bit crazy!

I guess that I’m an outlier. I like propane for my weber. Reason is I grill all year. In the warmer months I move the grill to a corner of the patio to make more room for the patio furniture and insure that folks sitting on the patio aren’t getting smoke in their face from the grill. However in the colder weather, I move the grill right next to the backdoor stairs so I can run in and out while grilling when it’s colder. Also, in the rain, I can move the grill so its closer to the house. Can’t do those things with a fixed line. From my perspective, the chore of refilling a tank is minor. I keep one attached to the grill and a full spare. So I just swap them out.

Recently went to a local propane refill rather than the exchange, definitely a heavier fill. I had three tanks to fill and he said I was getting the equivalent of four of the exchange tanks. Spare tanks for the grill and patio heater, just an fyi.

Ok. So now I’m curious. I swap out my tanks at the local Home Depot. You’re saying that the tank that I receive is not full? I never even thought of that. There’s no way to measure other than a scale (which I don’t do). If so that’s nuts and fraud unless I’m paying less at HD.