Copper River season

Saw my first batch today at local higher end grocer - $60/lb. Seems steep from memory, but also recall previous years when folks on here mentioned finding it at their local Costco. Anyone seen it there yet this season? Price?

I got one at costco last friday. $35 for a whole 3 lb sockeye. delicious piece of fish. been looking but haven’t been able to find any at my costco since

Got 1/2 pound at $39/lb. looks like it’s not on the website but they had plenty on Friday. Great family run store. Great shop w many regulars.
https://philsmeatmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/meatandseafoodmenu.pdf

I was at the Woodinville Costco yesterday and they didn’t have any. Whole Foods had the Sockeye Fillets for $30 pound today when I went.

Sockeye doesn’t do it for me, even Copper River. Gotta be king.

My local market said they aren’t carrying it because of the price (they used to in prior years).

Barry,
Bristol Farms has Copper River King for $60/lb.

Thanks. I’ll scope out the nearest one.

Sadly the Bristol near me closed a couple of years ago.

season is off to a rough start due to low numbers. they closed the fisheries last week and will try to re open this week.

Have a commercial buddy, 12 hr commercial/ seiner window today.He told me there are above normal kings but down dramatically for the sockeyes.

Horses for courses, I much prefer copper river to king. Both good, of course, but the deeper color and flavor of copper does it for me.

Sorry, I meant I don’t care for copper river sockeye. Copper river king is the tops.

Thursday CR up date, sockeyes beginning to show up in better numbers and kings slowing down a bit.I think it could be a later than normal season , though probably lower numbers than usual for sockeyes

I think Yukon river is even better, but pretty scarce.

-Al

Agreed. I like smoking Sockeye or especially making Indian candy with it, but the “Copper River” label carries exactly zero clout with me compared to any other reputable source, and the price is stupid. King is also king in my book. I just bought a whole, gutted and bled, locally caught King for well under $10/lb the day after it was caught

Native?

It had an adipose fin so it most likely wasn’t a hatchery fish, and was caught in Monterey by my neighbor. But the hatchery salmon are released so young as smolts, and I really can’t tell the difference anyway and wouldn’t mind. 100% farm raised, no thanks [bleh.gif]

We have to throw those back in Washington, with the exception of one weekend in the summer when you can keep 1 native.