Grill Question: Do I need an infrared burner?

Hey folks…I know there are many grill experts here, so I’m hoping for some guidance. I’m researching my first gas grill, and have come across many that offer a “sear station” or the option to upgrade one of the burners to an infrared one. Anyone have experience using infrared burners? Are they worth the upgrade? Some of the grills I’m looking at (Lynx, Blaze, Coyote) have 18-20,000 BTU burners and ceramic bricks for dispersing heat. Isn’t that enough to get a good sear without resorting to infrared?

I’m drawn to infrared burnerS (don’t want a whole grill that way) in order to sear steak, burgers, and chops like a restaurant would, but I’m wondering if this can be done with just a high BTU burner.

They’re best as a side-burner set up vs. integrated in the main grill area. I don’t have one myself on my Weber, but have 2 friends with them and they get RIPPING hot vs a high BTU grill. You can likely get the same ‘sear’ effect using steel or cast iron, but that can also impart unwanted favours if you get the temp a bit wrong. If I was buying another grill I’d go for a small side burner version myself, so I could do lower temp cooking in the main grill area, then move to the side burner sear station to finish.

I have a Lynx, and opted not to get the IR burner. With all three burners on and the lid closed it gets plenty hot but if I then want to cook with the lid up it doesn’t maintain the sear, dropping off somewhat. Can still get good grill lines but it’s not searing towards the end of the cook.

If they still do a three burner configuration I think it might not be a bad option As I seldom cook over the third burner on mine, but if it is a two burner I wouldn’t do it.
Also if you’re a reverse sear type of guy, I think it would be useful, but as mentioned above you can also do a separate stand-alone burner.

I liked the heavy duty brass burners and ceramic briquettes of the Lynx, because it was similar to the grill I cooked on when I worked in a steak place. And while I like the grill, it has not been the best engineered device and hopefully they changed some of the design. Mine is about 8 years old, the lights are shot and the igniter (glow plug) switches are tied into the burner knobs and have also stopped working. If I was replacing, I would look closely at other manufacturers. To their credit, the burners have a lifetime guarantee and they just replaced them, no questions asked I just paid for shipping.

Appreciate the feedback.

Since I’ll be using a cart (not a built in), I didn’t really see any options for side IR burners, at least in my price range, but agree that it would be nicer not being part of the main grill. But it sounds like people are happy with having the IR option for getting a good sear.

I went with a four burner Blaze grill, and switched one of the burners to an IR one. This will give me three main burners and a searing area. It’s my first gas grill so hopefully I’ll be happy with this configuration. Already put together a good size Flannery order for Memorial Day.